Buying firearm online

This is a discussion on Buying firearm online within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Never have purchased online before. Live walking distance from a Gander Mountain, bought my LCR357 there. I am looking at buying from Buds. Is it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Buying firearm online

Buying firearm online

Never have purchased online before. Live walking distance from a Gander Mountain, bought my LCR357 there. I am looking at buying from Buds. Is it an effortless task? I Know it has to ship to an FFL dealer, that is all I know. Thanks... Not sure if buying online I would come out that much ahead after the shipping and FFL Transfer Fees ($35) are factored in. I do think Gander Mountain charges a bit high?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Pretty much.

You buy the gun, then notify your FFL and tell him its coming. He'll do the rest.

Tell him what it is, where you are getting it from and leave your phone no and email address.
    Next thing you know, you'll get a call telling you to come get it.
    You fill out the 4473, pay him for the transfer and boogie.

Nice and easy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodie2 View Post
    Never have purchased online before. Live walking distance from a Gander Mountain, bought my LCR357 there. I am looking at buying from Buds. Is it an effortless task? I Know it has to ship to an FFL dealer, that is all I know. Thanks... Not sure if buying online I would come out that much ahead after the shipping and FFL Transfer Fees ($35) are factored in. I do think Gander Mountain charges a bit high?
    Effortless task, yes.

Basically, know what you're buying, buy from an FFL in that other state, and have it shipped to your own FFL in your home state. Pay the transfer fees and do the paperwork on your FFL end. That's pretty much it.

$35 for FFL/paperwork fees high? Depends on the community, really. I've seen as low as $10 and as high as $50, with ~$25-30 seeming to be average. But then, that's where I've lived. Might not apply to you. Keep in mind, as well, that Illinois is going through a number of firearms-related changes right now, and that might be changing the perceived value of such FFL transfers. Not unreasonable to expect prices to spike as demand spikes, really.

I've purchases numerous guns from FFL dealers in other states, as well as guns from individuals in other states. Either way, it gets sent through an FFL shop on the seller's end, comes to my FFL shop on this end. And I pay the FFL fees on my end as well as shipping costs to get it here. Typical, in my experience. Can work very well, so long as you know exactly what it is you're buying and are comfortable with the condition of the gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you go to buy from Buds ( and a few others ) they should give you a list of dealers around there .. Call around and ask you never know .. And if the dealer is from the list on buds you dont need to do anything just select it and go..

But yeah for me it is a effortless task pick the gun and dealer and payment type and there you go easy peasy. And a lot of guns on buds and other places have free shipping so all you have to firure out is if sales taxs will be charged if bought out of state it should or should not be deepening on state and how much the fee for transfer is..My guy charges 25 per gun others 30 or 20..

Distinguished Member
    I have an outfit here in Florida that only charges me $10 per transfer.
    The most popular LGS nearby charges $85.00. Average pawn shop FFL charges $25.
    Usually, Bud's shipping is free.

Not sure if buying online I would come out that much ahead after the shipping and FFL Transfer Fees ($35) are factored in. I do think Gander Mountain charges a bit high?
    If you buy from Bud's, guns ship free. Also, unless you live in the state of KY, you will not be charged sales tax. Which depending on the cost of your purchase and the state you live in could be a significant savings. I can almost guarantee buying from Bud's and paying the FFL fee would be easier on your wallet than buying from Gander Mountain.

Bud's, quite frankly, is tough to beat. I'm a small business owner myself so I try to support local businesses whenever possible. But there is a point where it simply becomes tough to justify, financially. And I find that to be the case when it comes to new gun purchases. Most LGS's around here tend to price their stuff somewhere in the vicinity of 20% higher than Bud's (sometimes more). Then when you factor in TN's 9.25% sales tax, well, like I said it just becomes hard to justify spending that much extra.

E.G. I've been looking at the Sig P938 lately. Bud's has them in the 600-625 range. Add the $25 FFL fee and I'm looking at $625-650, done deal. Meanwhile I've seen them for sale locally for as high as $799, really. And I believe $699 is the cheapest I've seen one around here. So even if I were find a good deal and perhaps talk them down a few bucks, to let's say $675, I then still would have to pay the $10 background check and the 9.25% sales tax ($62.44). So that would put me at a total of $747.44. So at the end of the day I'd save a hundred bucks (if not more) going through Bud's. Like I said, I try to support local business whenever possible. But I can't just throw away $100 like that.

Yep.... as said. They'll ship to FFL dealer once they have their info, if they don't have it on file already, and then FFL will notify you (good to contact them & let them know it's coming) and..... then they'll do the NICS check, etc. like normal.
    Depends upon the gun and what Gander's price is, but knowing the prices Gander has here and what Bud's sells them for....... Bud's will have a much better price. If it's not a big difference, then do you want to support your local store and business, or not . As far as how quick you can obtain it ...... go to Gander.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Christmas 2012 I was looking for an XDm for a gift for my wife. Went to a LGS, they weren't sure they could get one and the price would be exorbitant. Checked Bud's, went to another LGS on Bud's preferred FFL list; they compared Bud's with the best they could do from their distributor and told me to buy from Bud's and they'd be happy to handle the transfer.

I won't use a local store as a showroom for an internet purchase. I'm looking very seriously at a Beretta nano right now; I've spent enough time looking at compact 9mm pistols at one of my local LGSs that if I end up getting one it'll be from them. But something I've picked out on the basis of shooting a friend's at the range? I'll see what I can find at gunwatcher.com.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

I havent bought any guns online though it seems easy enough. By the time I pay shipping and the transfer even at 20 bucks at the LGS Im not saving anything.

Of course I really dont like buying from local LGS either if I can find what I want privately. I have and do but prefer private transaction. Legal here, no nothing, cash and carry.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Buying firearm online ... Is it an effortless task?
    Another consideration, if such things matter to you and your state allows: Does Illinois lawfully allow private transactions, undocumented?

I imagine not, but then I don't live there. If so, then you can keep off the radar by finding what you need via a private seller. For those of us who live in such states where we're not criminalized for private transactions, it's a nice way to keep things simple and to keep of the radar.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I bought from Colt online, it was exactly like buying anything else online, only I had to go to an FFL to pick it up. I had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I havent bought any guns online though it seems easy enough. By the time I pay shipping and the transfer even at 20 bucks at the LGS Im not saving anything.

Of course I really dont like buying from local LGS either if I can find what I want privately. I have and do but prefer private transaction. Legal here, no nothing, cash and carry.
    I wish I could say the samething up here. Gander wants $1099 for HK P30 Da/Sa. Buds wants $870 for a V1 (Light-LEM). When you factor in sales tax, FFL transfer fees I am saving at least $200 if not more via Buds. If Gander Barters a bit than I would take a second look at them. It makes it hard cause Gander is so close to me but when the difference in price is as stated it becomes a no brainer. Bear in mind, I am all for supporting local business but I think there is a time you got to draw the line.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Another consideration, if such things matter to you and your state allows: Does Illinois lawfully allow private transactions, undocumented?

I imagine not, but then I don't live there. If so, then you can keep off the radar by finding what you need via a private seller. For those of us who live in such states where we're not criminalized for private transactions, it's a nice way to keep things simple and to keep of the radar.
    You are probably right. Illinois is just coming online with CCW Permits so it would be a stretch to think they would allow private transactions.

You are probably right. Illinois is just coming online with CCW Permits so it would be a stretch to think they would allow private transactions.
    If they don't, some guys on Armslist gonna be in a peck of trouble.

VIP Member
    Process is simple. How much you save will depend on the transfer fee your FFL charges you. As far as I know, Bud's ships free.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links