What do you think on no more gun rentals at ranges

This is a discussion on What do you think on no more gun rentals at ranges within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; FL's Shoot Straight Stops Gun Rentals to Prevent Suicides | The Truth About Guns This has been a problem in CA and even in HI ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What do you think on no more gun rentals at ranges

What do you think on no more gun rentals at ranges

FL's Shoot Straight Stops Gun Rentals to Prevent Suicides | The Truth About Guns

This has been a problem in CA and even in HI ( some how even though the gun was chained to the table the person manged to get in front of it )

I know in CA most ranges say either you have to have a gun with you or come as a group . I like that idea but my only though is what about the guy coming from a place where you can not have a gun in town on business what ever who want to go out a try a gun but cant as he has no one to go with him and he has no gun.. Maybe have a RO polcie where if renting you have to have a Trained person with you or have the gun chained down tight ?

I think it would be suck to lose rentals some guns I want to try before buying or to see if I like the round etc . But then again Suicide is a massive sad suck too..

Thoughts?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I think that it is better for a range to provide some rental guns so people can try out a gun or style of gun before they buy.

But, it is their property and their business and they can do what they want. I would be tired of scooping up the remains too if that happened in my business.
    Taurahe, msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have to admit, I did not know this was a thing.

Well, it sucks, but gotta do what you gotta do. Nobody wants to go to a store that people are using for a suicide booth.

I don't think for a second that it will actually PREVENT any suicides, but at least it should prevent them from happening at the ranges.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I have to admit, I did not know this was a thing.
    Yeah I never heard of such a thing either. WOW
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Their range, their choice. I think its overly cautious, but hey, I'm not putting up the money to run the business.

I'd rather they have the ability to decide rather than the law tell them what to do.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Never heard of such a thing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Isn't that racial profiling? Do they rent to Black males/Females or White women who are alone. If i went to the range i would most probably go ALONE. I would like to rent a particular firearm , If i thought i'd be interested in buying it. I get their point, but isn't this the same LIBTARD reasoning we get for gun control in the first place. I would better understand them. If they took a real moral stance and said NO MORE RENTALS. Unfortunately this range is probably listening to their lawyers. And I am sure they are as LIB as they come (See I can profile too). My Opinion . either way doesn't look good for the range, I myself would pass them by.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

VIP Member
    Probably any LEO could fill you in on the statistics of how various categories of people commit suicide. I do know I have read many times that hardly any women choose to do it with a gun (that means FEW, it does not mean none).

And if the ranges have exclusively had a problem with white males choosing to off themselves with a range owned gun I for one certainly cannot blame them for not renting to "unaccompanied white males" anymore.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

The chain was simply ending rentals completely, the other unaffiliated store instituted a policy that is indeed racist and I can't imagine surviving a legal challenge. Sucks that ranges are feeling this is necessary, but I can easily imagine a very expensive lawsuit...

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)
    gatorbait51, molleur and msgt/ret like this.

The range I work at generates a good amount of sales through the "try it before I buy it " rentals ...........it would take a lot for our owner to abandon this sales generating tool .
    gatorbait51 and WrongRecroom like this.
    The easy way is always mined.

I think it is an incredibly poor answer to a questions that stems from societal problems, governmental problems and personal problems, and has absolutely nothing to do with firearms. I do not see how banning firearms rentals on the basis that someone might try to take their life fixes the problems that causes someone to take their lives.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I'm kind of surprised that many of you have stated that you've never heard of suicide at the range.
    There's even a murder/suicide caught on video a few years back at the same range.

http://youtu.be/5vPnMbLr5nc
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It's Range Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I think it is an incredibly poor answer to a questions that stems from societal problems, governmental problems and personal problems, and has absolutely nothing to do with firearms. I do not see how banning firearms rentals on the basis that someone might try to take their life fixes the problems that causes someone to take their lives.
    I'm sure it doesn't, but the owners don't want people killing themselves at their stores, and it's hard to blame them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I would have to imagine their liability insurance is sky high. There have been more than a few of these incidents at Florida ranges although I can't say for sure Shoot Straight was involved in any. In today's world I am sure the family of the person that shoots himself will bring a lawsuit against the range for renting them a gun. It is not worth the headache (no pun intended)
    gatorbait51 and molleur like this.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links