Kalashnikov, AK-47 Designer, Wrote Penitent Letter

This is a discussion on Kalashnikov, AK-47 Designer, Wrote Penitent Letter within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mikhail Kalashnikov, the designer of the AK-47 assault rifle, reportedly wrote a regretful letter several months before his death asking the head of the Russian ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Kalashnikov, AK-47 Designer, Wrote Penitent Letter

VIP Member

Kalashnikov, AK-47 Designer, Wrote Penitent Letter

Mikhail Kalashnikov, the designer of the AK-47 assault rifle, reportedly wrote a regretful letter several months before his death asking the head of the Russian Orthodox Church if he was to blame for the deaths of those killed by the guns.

The Russian daily Izvestia reported Monday that Kalashnikov, who died last month at 94, wrote to Patriarch Kirill in April and told him he kept asking himself if he's responsible.

"The pain in my soul is unbearable. I keep asking myself the same unsolvable question: If my assault rifle took people's lives that means that I, Mikhail Kalashnikov, ... am responsible for people's deaths," he said in the letter.

"The longer I live, the more often that question gets into my brain, the deeper I go in my thoughts and guesses about why the Almighty allowed humans to have devilish desires of envy, greed and aggression," Kalashnikov continued.

Kalashnikov's daughter, Elena, was quoted by Izvestia as saying that a local priest could have helped her father write the letter, which was typed and carried his signature.
    'I sleep well'

The letter contrasted sharply with past statements by Kalashnikov, who had repeatedly said in interviews and public speeches that he created the weapon to protect his country and couldn't be blamed for other people's action.

"I sleep well. It's the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence," the designer told The Associated Press in 2007.

The church sought to comfort him with exactly the same argument. Izvestia quoted Kirill's spokesman Alexander Volkov as saying the Patriarch responded to Kalashnikov and praised him as a true patriot.

"If the weapon is used to defend the Motherland, the Church supports both its creators and the servicemen using it," the newspaper quoted Volkov as saying.

The AK-47 is the world's most popular firearm, favoured by guerrillas, terrorists and the soldiers of many armies. An estimated 100 million are spread around the world.

Kalashnikov, AK-47 designer, wrote penitent letter - World - CBC News
    airslot and gatorbait51 like this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

No more responsible than Colt or Browning.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Or Oppenheimer.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

That's a shame. Unfounded or not, that kind of guilt would eat at you...assuming this is true.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

Or Ferdinand Verbiest.
    gatorbait51 and PEF like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Envy, greed and aggression have been with us since the dawn of man. Only the means of their pursuit have changed.

R I P Mikhail Kalashnikov
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

It's that type of thinking that gave us the Nobel Prize. I actually felt there was more inferred guilt for the founder of the Crips.
    msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.

Well, he did knowingly design a gun for one of the most powerful and brutal totalitarian empires in history, to be used for the purpose of terrorizing and enslaving the people of Europe and Asia. Kind of a stretch to compare him to Browning.
    Ksgunner and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Winchesters Widow was haunted by the same thoughts. She was sure that all of those that had been killed by a Winchester rifle were out to get her.
    msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.

I have no doubt that men of character,men of integrity,good men have shouldered Mikhail's rifle just as they have shouldered any weapon in war,for any country.He deserves no more or no less peace of mind than anybody that has created a tool for warfare.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Winchesters Widow was haunted by the same thoughts. She was sure that all of those that had been killed by a Winchester rifle were out to get her.
    Winchester Mystery House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome - The world famous Winchester Mystery House? in San Jose, California, is an extravagant maze of Victorian craftsmanship ? marvelous, baffling, eerily eccentric, and undeniably, haunted.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Well, he did knowingly design a gun for one of the most powerful and brutal totalitarian empires in history, to be used for the purpose of terrorizing and enslaving the people of Europe and Asia.
    I'll bet he didn't. He was a young man when he designed that rifle. I am sure that his view of things was quite different than ours.

Having met some Russian Sailors in Singapore during the cold war and having a few drinks with them in a well know bar, I was convinced that they were as firm in their beliefs as we were ours. I thought it interesting that several in the Russians group could speak English, and none of us in the group I was with could speak Russian.

The way I see it, he developed a well used and effective tool, one that happened to be embraced by his nation.
    Nothing more, nothing less.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Mikhail Kalashnikov, the designer of the AK-47 assault rifle, reportedly wrote a regretful letter several months before his death asking the head of the Russian Orthodox Church if he was to blame for the deaths of those killed by the guns.
    Laudable that he's concerned about possible contributions. But the fact remains that evil-doers are responsible for their murderous behaviors, not him. As many situations of outright criminal violence as can be pointed to, I'm sure just as many can be shown to be just and necessary ... in legitimate war defending your country, self-defense against such murderous perps, and the like.

"The pain in my soul is unbearable. I keep asking myself the same unsolvable question: If my assault rifle took people's lives that means that I, Mikhail Kalashnikov, ... am responsible for people's deaths," he said in the letter.
    IMO, there's a reason many point out that guns don't kill people, people do. This guy created something to help his people defend themselves, and it succeeded beyond measure. That a sizable few around the world misuse and abuse the tool doesn't make him any more responsible for such injuries or deaths than the designer of the Ford Mustang is for innocents run over by the things.

The letter contrasted sharply with past statements by Kalashnikov, who had repeatedly said in interviews and public speeches that he created the weapon to protect his country and couldn't be blamed for other people's action.

"I sleep well. It's the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence," the designer told The Associated Press in 2007.
    I think he had the right of it, previously. His wasn't the cause of the deaths. Power-hungry, blind and unyielding political hacks contributed heavily (in cases of war), power-hungry control freaks as well (in cases of 'warlord' type actions), and murderous perps (in cases of mindless violence against innocents).

Sad, that he felt so badly about it. He wasn't to blame for the misguided violent actions of others.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Mikhail Kalashnikov had misgivings about his invention before, this is nothing new. He only recently found religion in the last few months of his life, or at least he was comfortable enough to openly admit it. Just Yahoo and the modern anti-gun spin-meisters trying to create something new out of nothing.
    CIBMike, msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.

That particular rifle has also been used in great numbers by countries citizens fighting for their freedom from oppressive dictators over the years. Probably more so than any other rifle.

Its again not a case of a mechanical thing being designed and built but the manner which it is used by the humans that wield it. That will always be the case be it the AK 47 The M1 a knife, bow and arrow or baseball bat.
    ccw9mm, msgt/ret, CIBMike and 1 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links