Pre-ban AK47 Import question

This is a discussion on Pre-ban AK47 Import question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got approached by a friend serving in Afghanistan. The question asked was: "If I can bring the parts for two pre-ban full auto AK47s from ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: Pre-ban AK47 Import question

Got approached by a friend serving in Afghanistan.

The question asked was:
    "If I can bring the parts for two pre-ban full auto AK47s from Afghanistan, how do I register them to ensure I am making them legal? There are no serial numbers on either."

I advised they ask a lawyer but it got my curiosity up. Anyone have any clue on this one while they wait on answers from a lawyer? My first instinct was that it would be illegal just on the act of bringing the parts into the country & there would be no way to "make them legal" regardless of what avenue was attempted. Anyone know any better?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

NO!!

Unless you friend has a FFL to import Full auto guns as a dealer for LEO demo you will be very very screwed.

THERE IS NO PRE BAN FULL AUTO GUNS!

Unless it was papered to roster back pre 1986 it is not legal unless you are a FFL who can sell or make these .

If you are caught with a full auto gun you will most likely go to jail with bubba for 10 years and pay 250k or more in cash

Also the gov said once a machiang gun always a machine gun there is no way to make a full auto to semi auto legal again period ..

You do not want to screw with NFA stuff!
    msgt/ret likes this.

Never mind the importing of full auto guns for civiialens was baned by the GCA of 1968

Pre ban means one of three thing really in the USA and only here :

1. Guns with open bolts made pre the ban of 82
    2. Guns that were banned either by the 89 import ban of the latter 90s one ( the china AKS , the sp89 I believe)
    3. The old fed 94 ban that does not matter to most states save MA now

I am not a lawyer but as a general rule unless said gun or Full auto parts were resgiter back pre to 1986 in the USA dont even think about it . They find you with a full auto gun or a moddy to auto gun you will be in a world of crap esp if importing it was involed
    msgt/ret likes this.

I mean about the only thing that maybe could be brough in would be maybe the stocks and handguards or grip ( not even sure if that would be illalge under arms control laws)

heck even barrels from stuff likes are banned from import as they are consider machign gun parts now .. Never mind a Full auto fire control

If you want a full auto AK you can legal buy on in the USA just fine . But it will cost you about 20K .. But they are out there

Sounds fishy to me. First off, as far as I know, and I'm no expert, all AK-47s that have been assembled have a serial number stamped on the front trunnion and other places . So were the numbers ground off? In any case, without the receiver all he'd have is a parts set very much like any other parts set that anyone could buy here in the States. So why smuggle it into the Country? To have a war trophy or to have a full auto weapon?

I'm assuming these are stamped and not milled weapons. If he could get the parts sets into the country, which I'm not sure is legal, he could fold up a new receiver. But of course his new receiver would only facilitate semi-automatic fire and he would only be able to install 10 pieces from each set onto the new receiver according to section 922r: Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Firearms Technology | ATF

People change and sometimes they get really bad ideas. Although in my youth, sometimes I went along with friend's dumb ideas, over time I've learned to distance myself from them. I can't say what's going on in your friend's head or what interests you enough to entertain it. The only thing I do know is: do stupid things, with stupid people, in stupid places and you win stupid prizes.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    The question asked was:
    "If I can bring the parts for two pre-ban full auto AK47s from Afghanistan, how do I register them to ensure I am making them legal? There are no serial numbers on either."
    I'd say he needs an attorney and a lot of time and money, to successfully navigate that one.

And given that the 1968 and 1986 bans and controls exist, I'd be willing to bet he's out of luck.

Of course, he can ignore all of that and ship it back in his duffel, then see what he sees. My guess is, someone will take notice once seeing him firing it, and then (if not before then) the cat will be out of the bag. That "cat" equating to felony, loss of the future RKBA and all the rest. Reference Randy Weaver (of Ruby Ridge fame), if he's got any doubts.

From the 1995 film Apollo 13: "Oh, they'll jump on 'im." - referring to one of the astronauts failing to file a tax return before flight.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Glad I asked you all. I figured that would be the answers I would end up with. I let them know to NOT try it at all and it seemed like the caution did not fall on deaf ears. Thanks folks.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Sounds fishy to me. First off, as far as I know, and I'm no expert, all AK-47s that have been assembled have a serial number stamped on the front trunnion and other places . So were the numbers ground off? In any case, without the receiver all he'd have is a parts set very much like any other parts set that anyone could buy here in the States. So why smuggle it into the Country? To have a war trophy or to have a full auto weapon?

I'm assuming these are stamped and not milled weapons. If he could get the parts sets into the country, which I'm not sure is legal, he could fold up a new receiver. But of course his new receiver would only facilitate semi-automatic fire and he would only be able to install 10 pieces from each set onto the new receiver according to section 922r: Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Firearms Technology | ATF

People change and sometimes they get really bad ideas. Although in my youth, sometimes I went along with friend's dumb ideas, over time I've learned to distance myself from them. I can't say what's going on in your friend's head or what interests you enough to entertain it. The only thing I do know is: do stupid things, with stupid people, in stupid places and you win stupid prizes.

10 to one it was either a homemade gun Khyber pass style ( big thing in that part of the world ) or a sanitized gun you never know ..

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'd say he needs an attorney and a lot of time and money, to successfully navigate that one.

And given that the 1968 and 1986 bans and controls exist, I'd be willing to bet he's out of luck.

Of course, he can ignore all of that and ship it back in his duffel, then see what he sees. My guess is, someone will take notice once seeing him firing it, and then (if not before then) the cat will be out of the bag. That "cat" equating to felony, loss of the future RKBA and all the rest. Reference Randy Weaver (of Ruby Ridge fame), if he's got any doubts.

From the 1995 film Apollo 13: "Oh, they'll jump on 'im." - referring to one of the astronauts failing to file a tax return before flight.

And dont forget the 1989 ban ...

Sponsored Links