Searching for some feedback

This is a discussion on Searching for some feedback within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been working on my wife to get her OK to purchase a new gun. She is very "anti" and says I have enough ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Searching for some feedback

I have been working on my wife to get her OK to purchase a new gun. She is very "anti" and says I have enough guns (I know, right?), but she know I carry and "deals with it". I have 3 firearms. A XD 9mm service model for carry/home defense, a 30-30 Marlin for hunting hogs and somewhat for home defense and a 22LR rifle for plinking and rifle practice. My handgun is 6+ yrs old (and I carry it every day) even though I don't count rounds, I shoot about 100-200 rds per month for drills, practice and such. The 2 rifles do not get as much use (hunting and plinking), so they are still in very good condition.

I have been contiplating getting a new sub compact handgun for carry (no pocket guns), a new handgun for home defense in a bigger caliber, or a autofeeding carbine (AR, AK, SKS) for home defense , SHTF, etc..

So, I wanted to throw this out there to all of you to get some feedback on what you would do and why. Now please don't get into brands of guns or (Get a glock, get a M&P, get a 1911). Would you get a smaller handgun for carry and retire the XD for home use, would you get a house gun in a bigger or same caliber and keep carrying the XD, or an semiauto carbine.

Budget is $1000

Also, my daughter just told me this, so I will pass it along:

Question: Where does the general keep his armies??

Answer: In his sleevies (Yeah, I know bad joke, but we have a contest who can tell the worst joke possible)
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Looks to me like you need a shotgun. ;)
    blitzburgh and NONAME762 like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    So, I wanted to throw this out there to all of you to get some feedback on what you would do and why. Now please don't get into brands of guns or (Get a glock, get a M&P, get a 1911). Would you get a smaller handgun for carry and retire the XD for home use, would you get a house gun in a bigger or same caliber and keep carrying the XD, or an semiauto carbine.
    Whatever combination works best for you, given your home layout, your needs and your basic criteria for defensive use. If your XD is working well for you and you're happy with its ability to be carried and concealed, why not stick with what you know and love? If what you want is to sample something new, then there are plenty on the market that could offer a somewhat smaller, lighter replacement if you choose to sell the XD or "retire" it for other uses. Selling the XD to pick up something new might well be the politic choice, given the S.O.'s opinions. Up to you.

For myself, I prefer a decent pocket-carried gun, a decent mid-sized gun with full-power loads. Beyond that, I honestly don't have much need for a rifle, though I'll often have one or two around for learning and plinking purposes. But that's me. Your circumstances and criteria will likely differ.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

OK, so you have a good handgun, rifle, and 22LR. I'd get an AK/AR or a shotgun then next time around pick up a new handgun. JMO.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

txron: Some answers to questions about your home layout and defensive realities might help folks offer up some suggestions on the most-effective mix of tools.

• Perhaps you can describe your home layout (roughly) in terms of shooting distances, proximity to neighboring homes, acreage to cover, and what not.

• How about how well or poorly your given sidearm seems to fit the bill, in terms of concealability, ease of carry and dealing with it each day, suitability to task.

• How about whether your other family members are part of your rapid-response plan in situations where the use of force is necessary. If you've got 40ac to deal with and are short on firepower there, that might well tip the balance.

• If your existing sidearm doesn't cover the tag-team approach you and your S.O. can bring to bear given that you don't have a second firearm available, then perhaps that will drive the choice. Don't know, without some further info about your situation.

Without knowing more, I'd say the XD is a fine sidearm. Should easily deal with defensive situation, presuming it's not a burden to have with you at all times, not incapable of being used by your other family members if you're not there are get disabled in a situation. Of course, one sidearm might well go wonky at times, and having a second one around is just good insurance, as to having several spare magazines that you know work well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    The old " a bunch of people I have never met , said on the internet " arguement wouldn't stand in my house. Fortunately, I do what i want after careful consideration, and my wife usually supports it. We only discuss major purchases for budgetary consideration. You are on your own there, buddy.
    I have my CC needs covered with those pistols on the left, anything else is just to have fun with. My Mossberg ATP8 would cover anything involving an invasion around the house, as my rifles reach out too far for "self defense".
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Standard sub division house and property. Master bed room down stairs and 2 bedrooms up stairs. Kids rooms are upstairs. Main living room and kitchen right off master besdroom and the house really does not have any hall ways. So 15 ft accross room shots would be the norm. Bug out would be upstairs since I can defend the stair way easily and still look down into the living are and kitchen. Houses on both side of mine with a 10 ft or so gap between houses. Only wooded area is behind our house

I shoot the XD very well and 15ft distances are not a problem for center mass hits with quick follow ups. I practice this all the time from standing, on the move, and from the draw. I have full confidence that a 9mm is more than enough.

No other family members are part of the response (except for Kunde - 85 lbs German Shepard). They are to move to the upstairs back bedroom. Only entry to the upstairs is a straight 15 step stair case that (from the top going down) heads to the back yard. Wife is anti and will not even pick up my guns let alone shoot them. Both daughters are proficeint with the 22 lr, but I would rather have them out of the way and not part of the fight. Wife's job will be calling 911.

Carry the XD is not a problem. I live in Houston, so in the summer, shorts a T-Shirt mainly. I use the supertuck and I do tuck in the summer.

Hope that helps.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    The old " a bunch of people I have never met , said on the internet " arguement wouldn't stand in my house. Fortunately, I do what i want after careful consideration, and my wife usually supports it. We only discuss major purchases for budgetary consideration. You are on your own there, buddy.
    I have my CC needs covered with those pistols on the left, anything else is just to have fun with. My Mossberg ATP8 would cover anything involving an invasion around the house, as my rifles reach out too far for "self defense".
    Not looking for the "gospel of the internet". Just looking for some feedback. Maybe there is an idea out there that I have not thought about. Just keeping an open mind to other ideas and experiences. After all, only my wife know everything.
    Arborigine likes this.

$1000 is a nice budget.
    Get an SKS. Nice ones are 300-400. Get a pump shotgun. Should be around the same price, maybe a little more. Buy ammo.
    Kavalander, jscottjr and connsolo like this.

if you want to retire the XD and find a smaller, lighter CC gun, there are more alternatives than i know.

If you want to keep CC the XD, and get a "bigger" HD gun, go for a .45 or 10mm autloader, or a hi-cap .357 revolver, thinking S&W 686, or S&W M&P R8.

if you want a rifle, and your budget is $1k, it's going to be hard to get into a quality AR or AK. SKS are ok, but long, unwieldy, and not fast to load. i'm a big fan of Ruger Mini-14's. and for a grand you can get the gun, and the accessories.

It's hard to argue with a shotgun for purley home defense reasons. a REM 870, or a Mossberg 590 are both affordable, reliable, get yourself a light for it, and still be under $1k.

I think earlier posts asking about you land, your home, and your preferances for your CC are critical here. if you live in suburbia, a rifle has no practical purpose; unless it's doomsday/zombie apocolypse. i have a marlin .30-.30, and love it, and want a .357 lever gun to go with a 8 shot S&W .357 revolver, i just think it's cool.

if you are already comfortable carrying a full size XD, i would keep doing that and get a shotgun, a rifle maybe if you have lots of land/open space. if you want to get a more comfortable carry gun, then that answers your question. a revolver for your purposes seems to be a bit of an anachronism, unless you want a small snubbie to replace for CC. but any gun lover should have at least one wheel gun!

so that's my vote, either a new small CC gun, or a shotgun if you live in suburbia, or a rifle if you have land.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    $1000 is a nice budget.
    Get an SKS. Nice ones are 300-400. Get a pump shotgun. Should be around the same price, maybe a little more. Buy ammo.
    ^^^ this should accomplish your goals. Sounds like you are fine with your current carry weapon, and the additions above would provide adequate home defense IMO.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My wife and I have an agreement--she doesn't tell me what to buy and I don't tell her what to buy. But I'll tell you this, without her "buying" I would be far, far better off financially.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Go AR or shotgun. IMO AR's are very addictive so if you're short on cash maybe get just a shotgun. AR's will leave you with multiple optics, hand guards, grips, rails, stocks and etc, and an empty wallet!

It may not be the quintessential HD gun but consider an over under shotty. You can use it, like Joe Biden does, to scare away thugs that do house calls or shoot skeet/trap with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    " Enough guns"? That concept is just incomprehensible.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    " Enough guns"? That concept is just incomprehensible.
    Asking permission is even more so.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links