Warthog feed problems

This is a discussion on Warthog feed problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just bought a new .45 Para Warthog. Have put about 150 rounds through it. Started right off with feed problems, so disassembled and cleaned. After ...

Thread: Warthog feed problems

Warthog feed problems

Just bought a new .45 Para Warthog. Have put about 150 rounds through it. Started right off with feed problems, so disassembled and cleaned. After less than 50 rounds, starts all over again.

Will consistently not feed the first round. Neither from releasing the slide catch, nor from cycling from a closed slide. Round jams in the top of the barrel/slide. Back top of cartridge ends up about the firing pin. One round had a sharp cut in the nose. Slight tug and release on the slide, will generally allow the round to chamber. Does not happen on every cycle, but probably maybe half.

Cycling the slide without ammo doesn't feel smooth, but not sure that is the problem.

Once cleaned, it cycles flawlessly for 30-40 rounds. I only have 2 mags so far, but a problem on both.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

not broken in yet maybe? keep going for another couple hundred rounds of ball and see if you notice a trend of it getting better???

Tear down the gun look for any sharp edges any burrs on rails etc etc

take out the recoil spring and hand cycle and see if its smooth if not thats where i would start why it wont cycle smooth

Sounds like you might have stem bind or 3 point jame going on can ya get a pic?

Also try different ammo and a different known good mag

That was my first thought, just seemed strange that it would work so well right after being cleaned and then be so consistently bad after a few rounds.
    I have another Para - 14/45, and a Kimber 3", and neither of them did anything like this when new.

Recoil spring seemed ok when I cleaned. Have not taken it apart again yet. Now that you mention another mag, I believe I can use one from my other Para. Sound right?
    I'll try that and some other ammo.
    Any thoughts on why it would work perfect for 30-40 rounds and then start again?

Quote Originally Posted by stewartjwnls View Post
    One round had a sharp cut in the nose.
    Sounds like the ramp/chamber transition is too sharp- feel it with your pinky. If you feel a definite "edge"(it should be defined, but not so much that it will leave a cut on a bullet), that would be my guess. A Cratex rubber polishing drum, medium grit can take care of that. Or, send it back to Para......

Add: it will misfeed sporadically because its a minor glitch (if this is the case). A matter of that particular round seating that particular way, with (probably) 1 or 2 particular mags. I had the same problem with an STI.

yeah try another mag from other para

also i should have been clear i mean remove the spring from gun then hand cycle gun and see if its smooth

as for why after 30-40 rounds too much oil too little oil dirty ammo what kind of amo you using ?

Administrator

Frustrating But, Probably Minor

Only the top round jams?

The EASY possible cures:

1.) Try leaving your magazines fully loaded till the next time you shoot.

2.) Try a differnt brand of ammo. Sometimes that will cure the problem.

You need to see exactly how the round the jamming. Really LOOK.

That is because different things can be happening at the same time.
    The cartridge nose might LOOK like it's just not feeding into the chamber but, the REAR of the cartridge case might not be able to move up the extractor.

It COULD be a rough breech face or a "Too Sharp" extractor hook - or too sharp magazine feed lips which are cutting into the cartridge case under the extreme pressure of a fully loaded magazine.

How about if you load one less than full capacity in your mags?
    Still not feeding?

There are SO MANY possible little things that could cause that.
    Here is another one; Heavy upward magazine feed pressure hampering feed energy to send the top round out of the mag lips and home.

Slightly too much extractor tension.

A slight rough feed ramp.

one slightly too sharp edge on the barrel throat.

Sounds like a minor "street tune up" job possibly needed.

If it's only the top round jamming then that's actually a GOOD sign because your pistol does not have general feeding problems - only one specific feed problem possibly just due to an overly heavy initial "new magazine" spring pressure.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

This is definately a general feeding problem.
    Will misfeed on subsequent rounds, not just the first. All the way through.
    Using Black hills 230 grain FMJ. No oil, just Hoppes Teflon Dri Lube.
    Did not cycle without the recoil spring. Good idea, should help eliminate areas of problem.
    The round ends up significantly pointed up from where it should be some times. At a 45 degree angle from the barrel. Other times, it's almost in the barrel, just won't close all the way. Very slight pull and release of the slide and it will seat.
    A few end up pointing straight up. Very strange. A couple of times, could not get the slide to open until I took the mag out, then the round that didn't feed would drop out of the mag well bottom.
    Unless the ramp chamber transition is different when firing, it doesn't appear to be getting hung up there. Hanging up at the top of the barrel.
    It will be a week or so before I can shoot again and try some of these suggestions.
    The part that I keep coming back to, is why would it feed 2 mags perfectly for 30-40 rounds, and then literally misfeed almost every other round?
    I do have other ammo and other Para mags, so will clean again, and try all this.
    Thanks.

Administrator
    OK then two possible problems.

Your extractor could be "clocking" after a certain number of rounds...or you could be starting to limp wrist after shooting for a while. All of the compacts NEED a Very Firm locked grip.

Regardless, if it does not clear up after shooting it in for a while then you'll need to get it tuned.

There are ENOUGH para warthogs out there that are functioning extremely well enough that there is nothing inherently flawed with the design of the pistol so something is (obviously) not mechanically 100% correct.

If you're going to use it as your daily carry then there is nothing wrong with sinking a few more bucks into it for an action tune up.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Early break in on my Micro had a similar problem. It was solved by polishing the breach face, chamber (just slightly here) and a little rounding of the ramp/chamber edge (Like Rob72 above said). Never has occurred again in 1,000 rounds.

Just my experience anyways....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Send it back for warranty repairs. Why would you do any work at all? It should have come from the factory ready to shoot.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Quote Originally Posted by stewartjwnls View Post
    Just bought a new .45 Para Warthog. Have put about 150 rounds through it. Started right off with feed problems, so disassembled and cleaned. After less than 50 rounds, starts all over again.

Will consistently not feed the first round. Neither from releasing the slide catch, nor from cycling from a closed slide. Round jams in the top of the barrel/slide. Back top of cartridge ends up about the firing pin. One round had a sharp cut in the nose. Slight tug and release on the slide, will generally allow the round to chamber. Does not happen on every cycle, but probably maybe half.

Cycling the slide without ammo doesn't feel smooth, but not sure that is the problem.

Once cleaned, it cycles flawlessly for 30-40 rounds. I only have 2 mags so far, but a problem on both.

Any ideas?
    I also have a warthog and can relate to your problems. My first trip to the range with it was a heart breaker to say the least. I was getting failure to feeds and ejects. I was getting stove pipes. I only had two mags and it was doing it on both mags on almost every round. I started with American Eagle ammo then tried PMC all 230 gr. I even tried Corbon +P. I replaced the mag springs with Wolff springs. Finally I bought a box of Winchester Silver tips 185 gr JHP and what do you know. it went bang every time. I shot 100 rounds of it without a failure. With that being said I can't afford to be shooting silver tips with it so I bought a box of 185 gr PMC and it worked flawlessly also, I refuse to stock 185 gr ammo just for this gun. I don't want to sell it and pawn my problems on someone else so it just sits in my safe.

You should be very carfull that you do not start doing any work on a new pistol that would void your warrenty. If you can get together a number of Para mags and load a round in each one to see the angle of the catrige in the lips and overall length in the mag. If the lip is releasing the nose to early it can bounce to the top of the chamber
    and prevent the case from going under the extractor.
    Also with the recoil spring out assemble the pistol and check the ramp
    with the chamber open and rearward pressure on the barrel. The barrel side of the feed ramp should be just forward of the top of the
    frame ramp that prevents the feeding round from hitting the ramp on the barrel and bouncing into the hood. One othe trick is to shoot it up good and dirty and look for any tell marks in the residue on the ramps
    or breach face. good luck and good shooting.

i would polish the ramp and the chamber of the barrel. work some on the hood also. check the frame where the bullet rest at the bottem of the barrel. you might have to take off some in this area. these problems are some of the same problems that the kel-tec p3at have. look at the kel-tec org site and read the f&b sections. you will see some these types of problems and how to fit the problems.

Links