My Pistol conversation today at the hospital

This is a discussion on My Pistol conversation today at the hospital within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, let's set the stage for a moment: I was suddenly diagnosed with Lung cancer in late October, had surgery one week later, and am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: My Pistol conversation today at the hospital

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

My Pistol conversation today at the hospital

OK, let's set the stage for a moment: I was suddenly diagnosed with Lung cancer in late October, had surgery one week later, and am now going thru daily radiation and 3 sessions of chemo. So everyday, once I hit the hospital (I also work there two days a week), my first stop is the restroom to go in the stall and remove my 1911 w/IWB holster and put it in my bag. (Hospital is weapons free for employees).

Next, I go to my radiation, where the two young female Radiation techs line me out--I remove my shirt and t-shirt, lay on the table, get all aligned properly and then get zapped. About 2 weeks ago or so, one of the young gals asked me "OK, I can see one of the cases on your belt is a Leatherman, what's in the other?" So I just opened up the flapped magazine case and withdrew my spare mag. She just said--"Oh, OK."

The next day, I told her that she won "cool points" for not freaking out and she said, "Its no big deal, this IS Montana after-all."

So, today, as I'm getting stretched out on the table to get zapped, both of them asked: "OK, what kind of handguns would you recommend we each get?" So my session went a bit longer today as we talked about semi-auto versus revolver, calibers and other suggestions about finding the "right" handgun.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good deal and good luck to you Sir.

I have noticed the Antis are actually 'Normalizing' firearms and showing there is a realistic need for them.
    Most folks know the 'TV news' is garbage and the newspapers are for folks with birdcages.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member
    Staying legal, but leaving the door open for discussion -- that's great!

Cool that you kept your spare mag on so the techs had an idea of who best to ask for good advice on gun buying!

We're still praying for you every day also, Chaplain!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Excellent!

I love it when 'serendipitious' occasions arise to educate open minds. Bravo, Chaplain!
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    Love those divine appointments and conversations about faith...also dig those serendipitous conversations about firearms. All good! Praying for you grace, comfort, strength and healing as you walk this cancerous wilderness by faith!
    gatorbait51 and Grantspastor like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Way to go, Chaplain! Good luck with your treatment.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    and the newspapers are for folks with birdcages.
    My Parrot Maxie has more pride than that we get her a non newspaper so she doesn't go on one that is already soiled by the media. Chaplain Scott good luck and God bless your treatment and guide the hands of those performing your therapy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

If you don't end up with a few new range buddies out of this you need to turn in your gun lover card!

Offer a range day so they can try a few different guns and you'll have the best care available.

Things may be a bit complicated now for ya but know that there's a lot of thoughts going your way.

Stay safe and stay strong.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Well done! Are they cute?
    gatorbait51 and Jgriner like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Well done! Are they cute?
    Yes, they are very cute--and younger than my youngest daughter.........

[QUOTEIf you don't end up with a few new range buddies out of this you need to turn in your gun lover card!

Offer a range day so they can try a few different guns and you'll have the best care available.

Things may be a bit complicated now for ya but know that there's a lot of thoughts going your way.

Stay safe and stay strong. ][/QUOTE]

I live about 90 minutes from where the hospital is--and MY range is outdoors and situated in what can only be described as a wind tunnel, with 70 mph winds not uncommon.
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and tdave like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Lord, I do miss Montana.

Same thing happened to me a few years back when we thought our 1 year old (at the time) swallowed a nail. Hauled him in, and I had to stand against a wall and hold him up for the X-ray, as there was no holding still for him. They were pleased to report no such nail existed in his belly, but the rad tech was curious about what kind of what kind of revolver I had on. He said it was far too small for a Blackhawk (standard Montana fare, as you well know).

My beloved wife was not amused, especially when the conversation turned from a possible nail in our son's gut pack to the SP101 that I used to have.

Now, that's how such conversations should go. It's nice to see otherwise rational folk not going all runny when the subject comes up. Montana ... where backbone still exists.

I can see it now, a new poster opportunity for the NRA/SAF/GOA: Support the RKBA ... take a nurse to the range.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Glad to hear you are in full flirt mode and getting better . Hang in there
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Yes, they are very cute--and younger than my youngest daughter.........
    .... and that's a problem?????

Here's to making the best of a bad situation. Keep fightin'.
    gatorbait51 and Kilowatt3 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links