Giving Firearm Safety Presentation to the Public

This is a discussion on Giving Firearm Safety Presentation to the Public within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Several months ago I was asked to give a presentation at work about Firearm Safety. We're a hospital and Trauma Center and the subject comes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Giving Firearm Safety Presentation to the Public

Giving Firearm Safety Presentation to the Public

Several months ago I was asked to give a presentation at work about Firearm Safety. We're a hospital and Trauma Center and the subject comes up whether it is due to gunshots we have to deal with or patients arriving in the hospital carrying. I prepared my presentation, gave it in a CME, and it was hugely successful.

Now the physician that asked me to do that presentation has put together a Public Education on February 15th to include the subjects of Healthcare Reform, Trauma, and Firearm Safety. Different people are doing the different segments and I'll be condensing my presentation down to 30 minutes. The flyers and advertising for the event are already out and in circulation.

Given the fact that I live and work close to the Florida Movie Theater incident, I'm somewhat concerned that people may show up just to cause a scene about anything doing with firearms. I'll approach the subject the same way I did before, saying I'm not here to advocate for or against firearm ownership as that is a personal decision up to each individual based on their own set of circumstances. Firearms are a reality in our society and that being the case education regarding their safety is paramount.

The physician asked me to shift my presentation away from some of the technical workings and try to relate it more specifically to healthcare, but understanding the technical aspects is a big part of safe gun handling. I'm going to start going back through the presentation to see where I can save some time and relate it more directly to healthcare without glossing over anything important too hastily.

Wish me luck that the media and antis don't show up to make a spectacle out of it in light of the recent local event receiving national media sensationalism . That would be terrible. I hope the media buzz settles down by then.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Several months ago I was asked to give a presentation at work about Firearm Safety. We're a hospital and Trauma Center and the subject comes up whether it is due to gunshots we have to deal with or patients arriving in the hospital carrying. I prepared my presentation, gave it in a CME, and it was hugely successful.

Now the physician that asked me to do that presentation has put together a Public Education on February 15th to include the subjects of Healthcare Reform, Trauma, and Firearm Safety. Different people are doing the different segments and I'll be condensing my presentation down to 30 minutes. The flyers and advertising for the event are already out and in circulation.

Given the fact that I live and work close to the Florida Movie Theater incident, I'm somewhat concerned that people may show up just to cause a scene about anything doing with firearms. I'll approach the subject the same way I did before, saying I'm not here to advocate for or against firearm ownership as that is a personal decision up to each individual based on their own set of circumstances. Firearms are a reality in our society and that being the case education regarding their safety is paramount.

The physician asked me to shift my presentation away from some of the technical workings and try to relate it more specifically to healthcare, but understanding the technical aspects is a big part of safe gun handling. I'm going to start going back through the presentation to see where I can save some time and relate it more directly to healthcare without glossing over anything important too hastily.

Wish me luck that the media and antis don't show up to make a spectacle out of it in light of the recent local event receiving national media sensationalism . That would be terrible. I hope the media buzz settles down by then.
    For any staff who encounters a firearm on a patient: don't touch the trigger, point it at the floor until you set it down, call hospital security or police to remove the gun. Problem = solved.

If security aren't actual cops, their director can make additional policies and training for them to follow. If your security are actual cops, they already have a procedure for securing the firearm until the patient can reclaim it. You will need to contact your local police department to get information on their exact policy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The physician asked me to shift my presentation away from some of the technical workings and try to relate it more specifically to healthcare, but understanding the technical aspects is a big part of safe gun handling.
    So, this next talk is going to be public, whereas the last one was mostly first-responders (an in-house type presentation)? That might color things quite differently, making much of the "injury treatment" angle that healthcare cares most about moot. Given what the physician has asked, is it going to be healthcare focus, or firearms/safety focus?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    For any staff who encounters a firearm on a patient: don't touch the trigger, point it at the floor until you set it down, call hospital security or police to remove the gun. Problem = solved.

If security aren't actual cops, their director can make additional policies and training for them to follow. If your security are actual cops, they already have a procedure for securing the firearm until the patient can reclaim it. You will need to contact your local police department to get information on their exact policy.
    I was heavily involved in revamping the security policy with regard to patients carrying and this was done prior to the presentation. I purchased metal lockboxes that security takes to the area and places holstered firearm in the box which is then locked in the safe (box and all) in the security office until patient discharge. Proper paperwork is completed and a copy given to the patient and another kept with the firearm. Upon discharge, security meets the person at their vehicle with the lock box and unlocks it so they can retrieve their firearm. Paperwork documenting return of property is maintained. Minimal handling and no manipulation. Secured and moved in a safe manner by trained personnel only.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So, this next talk is going to be public, whereas the last one was mostly first-responders (an in-house type presentation)? That might color things quite differently, making much of the "injury treatment" angle that healthcare cares most about moot. Given what the physician has asked, is it going to be healthcare focus, or firearms/safety focus?
    Well, he wasn't quite clear about what he wants. It's firearms safety focus tied to the fact that this education is being given by a hospital so it has to be relevant to healthcare. Not so much treatment or injuries, but how to prevent them. I personally don't see it needing to be different than what I did before, just condensed. We'll see.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Good luck on your presentation. Condensing something, and being able to cover all the bases, is a challenge.

I'd think you ought to have an idea/plan in place regarding how much access for the media, and dealing with vocal protesters. Plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

BTW I'd really like to hear your CME presentation, it might make a good learning tool for some folks I know. Is it available anywhere?
    tcbrad98 and BugDude like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Good luck on your presentation. Condensing something, and being able to cover all the bases, is a challenge.

I'd think you ought to have an idea/plan in place regarding how much access for the media, and dealing with vocal protesters. Plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

BTW I'd really like to hear your CME presentation, it might make a good learning tool for some folks I know. Is it available anywhere?
    I've shared it with lots of folks here. PM me your e-mail address and I'll be glad to send it to you. All data and images are publicly available, so no issues sharing it at all.

Your presentation will be wonderful regardless of how you tweak it. Make it clear to him that you MUST present technical aspects to make it make sense. Tailor it to the lowest common denominator however. That is who you will be presenting it to, the public...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post

I am in total agreement with this. The Hospital itself needs to have a documented (and staff trained) on how to handle a firearm if one is found on a patient. I would hope that who ever transported a patient in, if they knew they were carrying. Would be aware of SOP of safely handling and storing a firearm. Good for you though. The more Firearms are demystified, the more people change their perception of them (and gun owners0
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Good luck with it. If the antis show up, just be yourself and stick to your convictions.....
    BugDude likes this.

VIP Member
    How would you handle the hecklers in the crowd if you have any ?? Is that something to prepare for .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    How would you handle the hecklers in the crowd if you have any ?? Is that something to prepare for .
    I had one when I gave it to the medical staff and employees and everyone said I handled it very well in a brief and concise manner and continued on. They said it made him look like an idiot. We will also have security present, so if someone starts showing their hind quarters we can always have them removed. I'm fairly quick witted after years of debating antis on a newspaper columnist blog in Virginia...just have to have some statistics I commonly used handy.

VIP Member
    You know all you have to do is say something nice about B.O. and his health care package and you'll be the media's sweetheart! After that it's all smooth sailing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You may want to see if Lee Paige is available to give a demonstration on gun safety. He is the only in the room that he knows of that is professional enough to carry a "Glock 40". Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    BugDude likes this.

VIP Member
    BugDude,
    You did more than fine on the last one. No reason to think you won't do the same on this one - you may get some converts this time also!

As far as the procedure you developed for your hospital re patients with guns: I sure wish they had that procedure when I was the patient with the gun! (When you arrive in an ambulance AFTER telling people you do not want to go to the hospital, but since you keep fainting they take you anyway, you arrive wearing your gun.......) Would have made things MUCH easier - and Gramps would have gotten all my rounds back instead of one missing!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links