ammo

This is a discussion on ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok I think it's about time manufacturers focus on 22lr exclusively. My local wally world is buried in .223 and just about everything but 22. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: ammo

ammo

Ok I think it's about time manufacturers focus on 22lr exclusively. My local wally world is buried in .223 and just about everything but 22. How the ammo situation for everyone else?
    rugergunner and Phaedrus like this.

2. Remove Ads

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    I am in no way affiliated with this business/entity or other - but find this useful, if not for figuring out what the going rate (cents/round/caliber) is before I make local purchases (allows me to judge who is price gouging locally, by comparing). I call and ask for cost estimates before making a trip.

http://ammo-can.net/

Well in my area there isn't a shortage of 22lr but what we have are these groups of guys that go from store to store cleaning out all the 22 the day it hits the shelves. These guys know when and where the shipments come in and are ready to snatch it all up. I don't think they have jobs to inconvenience their activity. I am witness to one group, and it really pisses me off.

Here in Massachusetts it comes and goes.... Walmart is still the best place to purchase and there's been a three box limit for the last year. So in the course of the year I built up a small inventory.
    Having said that, I can't remember the last time I saw CCI anywhere!
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I can't remember the last time I seen a box of .22's anywhere
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

It's getting a little old, my daughter would like to take the 10/22 to her house to do some plinking outback and I haven't seen .22lr on a shelf in about a year.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    Here in Massachusetts it comes and goes.... Walmart is still the best place to purchase and there's been a three box limit for the last year. So in the course of the year I built up a small inventory.
    Having said that, I can't remember the last time I saw CCI anywhere!
    If by meaning a 'small inventory' you mean ~ >/= 5,700 .22, yes you have.

VIP Member
    Well .22 is almost non-existent everywhere that I know of. Ofter calibers are still hit and miss.

I think "General Firearms Discussion" would have been a more appropriate location for the question, since it has nothing to do with topic this section was set up for.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As ammo started slowly coming back,the wally world near me has started having more on their shelves..22s are about the only thing that is still a little hard to come by.

I haven't seen .22 LR on shelves anywhere in the Phoenix/East Valley area for over a year now. Allegedly it shows up at Wal-Marts, but I haven't seen it. I suspect what 17hands related is going on in this area, as well. Frustrating!

But to the OP's point, the ammo manufacturers are in business to make money, and given the same volume of brass, lead and powder, they make a lot more money on centerfire ammo than they do on rimfire. So unless the ATK and Olin stockholders revolt and tell their respective companies to make less money and more rimfire ammo, it's not going to happen soon.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by seventeenhands View Post
    Well in my area there isn't a shortage of 22lr but what we have are these groups of guys that go from store to store cleaning out all the 22 the day it hits the shelves. These guys know when and where the shipments come in and are ready to snatch it all up. I don't think they have jobs to inconvenience their activity. I am witness to one group, and it really pisses me off.
    Seen that activity myself both in NV and AZ.

The local gun stores have most ammo available with the exception of .22 LR. You have to be there the day it arrives. I have handguns in several calibers and I have always found ammo to shoot even at the height of the ammo shortage.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    I think a lot of us are still in that "hoarding" mentality, I know I'm guilty.

I would like to think that eventually it will be like the good old days when I could get by with just having a box or two on hand and when you went to the range you stopped by the local Wally World and picked up what you needed for that trip. Now I feel like I need to get as much as I will need for the next 6 months because I don't know when it will be readily available again.

If I'm at Bass Pro or WM or whatever I will stroll by the ammo section and if .22 or 9mm is there I will get it. Kind of a vicious cycle - I get it because it's there now, but because I get it it's not there tomorrow which leads to the feeling that you need to get it and on and on....

Meanwhile, ammo producers are laughing all the way to the bank....

Sorry posted it in wrong section

Quote Originally Posted by deadsexy View Post
    Sorry posted it in wrong section
    Moved to General Firearm Discussion.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links