Buckeye .45s hunting shotgun project

This is a discussion on Buckeye .45s hunting shotgun project within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to some of the LGS's today to see if anyone had any old SxS shotguns hiding in dusty corners, and unfortunately couldn't find ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 2 Post By Chorizo

Thread: Buckeye .45s hunting shotgun project

I went to some of the LGS's today to see if anyone had any old SxS shotguns hiding in dusty corners, and unfortunately couldn't find any. While perusing the used shotgun area of one of them though, I did find something else that I have been seeking for quite some time. An old Remington 870 Wingmaster, this one happens to be an old police trade in, at what I feel is a good price ($270).

For a while I have wanted to have a dedicated hunting shotgun as opposed to trying to force one of my HD shotguns into that role. The idea is to have a 12 gauge with a short barrel with good sights for deer (no rifles allowed in Ohio), and a longer barrel for birds. As I have been researching this project, I determined that I wanted to buy a base shotgun that has a barrel with rifle style sights, because there seem to be better deals to be had on replacement 26" or 28" vent rib barrels than on 18.5" or 20" with rifle sights. So, when I saw this one with rifle sights, I figured it would be a good start for my project.

The shotgun has the metal trigger guard, and someone has already installed the flexi-tab system in it. The current barrel/chamber is marked 2 3/4" inch, which doesn't particularly bother me. Although, according to Wilson Combat (Wilson Combat | Remington Steal) the chamber can be converted the accept a 3" shell. Apparently it involves installing a different ejector, and then I would need a barrel with a 3" chamber as well. I am actually considering sending the gun in to Wilson to have the whole Remington steal package done to it, part of that is going to depend on the condition of the longer barrel I am able to find. If I can find one cheap that has a 3" chamber, and needs finish work, then it would probably be worth sending in.

I don't particularly care about the mismatched stock/forend, as I think I actually have both a spare wood stock, and spare plastic forend around here somewhere. I am planning on painting this shotgun when the weather gets a bit warmer, so you won't be able to see the difference anyways. I will try to update this thread as the project progresses.

And I know that I could have bought a new made Express combo in the $500 range. My experiences with the newer 870 expresses have left a bit to be desired, which is why I didn't want to go that route. 8702.jpg8701.jpg8703.jpg
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i know you said already it doesn't bother you but why do you need a 3" chamber anyway? all your good slugs for deer will be with a 2-3/4, and it's only the biggest fowl that really require a 3". quail and pheasant certainly don't need it, and only ducks on longer shots. not questioninig your decision just curious what you'll be going after. we're in totally diff. parts of the country so...

nice shotgun!! i think $270 sounds like a good price and i like your build idea, even i'm curious about it. thanks for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    i know you said already it doesn't bother you but why do you need a 3" chamber anyway? all your good slugs for deer will be with a 2-3/4, and it's only the biggest fowl that really require a 3". quail and pheasant certainly don't need it, and only ducks on longer shots. not questioninig your decision just curious what you'll be going after. we're in totally diff. parts of the country so...

nice shotgun!! i think $270 sounds like a good price and i like your build idea, even i'm curious about it. thanks for the pics.
    I don't think I really need a 3" chamber. There are 2 3/4" waterfowl loads available, and waterfowl is really the only thing I would use 3" shells for. 2 3/4" shotgun shells will certainly work for most game. Ideally this will be a deer/dove/waterfowl shotgun, pheasants would be an option too, but I feel like I should use a pretty gun for that.
    Kavalander likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    ......., pheasants would be an option too, but I feel like I should use a pretty gun for that.
    I have found that they die just as easily with an ugly gun as with a pretty gun. But it is like going to a dance.....the pretty ones make you feel better even if you don't get any.
    StormRhydr and atctimmy like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

If waterfowling is in your future, 3" chambers give you a lot of flexibility. Hey, you can shoot ducks with a 20 (I did enough before the steel shot edict), but it's a handicap.

I think your strategy is good and the Wilson re-do is a fine idea.

I was out exercising my 870 last weekend. It's a dual-purpose gun, with a 28" barrel ready if I ever look for ducks in the desert. Most of the time it's stored in the BR closet, loaded with LE 00 and ready to go.
    My shooting friend has a great camera and caught me in a rapid-fire string of 4 shots. First empty is in the air, second is just starting to clear the chamber on the ejection stroke - and look at how the gun is NOT recoiling, just milliseconds after the second shot. This was the Federal low recoil tactical buck load, and it appears to live up to its name. The target was 11 yards downrange, that distance chosen because it's the longest shot I could ever need inside my house. This exercise was to check the pattern, and I'm happy to report that all 9 pellets were within the 8" marked center of my 10-8 target. And after 4 rapid-fire shots, all 36 pellets remained completely inside the reduced-size silhouette.

Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    I have found that they die just as easily with an ugly gun as with a pretty gun. But it is like going to a dance.....the pretty ones make you feel better even if you don't get any.
    Touche sir. At least I have until next fall to find a SxS, and if not, can always fall back to my O/U, which is decent looking.

This 870 is going to be used for hunting that is generally in worse weather and conditions than are the norm for pheasant. Basically I want this shotgun to be the one that I don't feel bad if it gets dropped in the mud, or rained on.

I did find a spare plastic forend around here, so now the forend matches the stock. I think for the intent of this shotgun, synthetic materials are probably a better choice than wood.

If waterfowling is in your future, 3" chambers give you a lot of flexibility. Hey, you can shoot ducks with a 20 (I did enough before the steel shot edict), but it's a handicap.

I think your strategy is good and the Wilson re-do is a fine idea.

I was out exercising my 870 last weekend. It's a dual-purpose gun, with a 28" barrel ready if I ever look for ducks in the desert. Most of the time it's stored in the BR closet, loaded with LE 00 and ready to go.
    My shooting friend has a great camera and caught me in a rapid-fire string of 4 shots. First empty is in the air, second is just starting to clear the chamber on the ejection stroke - and look at how the gun is NOT recoiling, just milliseconds after the second shot. This was the Federal low recoil tactical buck load, and it appears to live up to its name. The target was 11 yards downrange, that distance chosen because it's the longest shot I could ever need inside my house. This exercise was to check the pattern, and I'm happy to report that all 9 pellets were within the 8" marked center of my 10-8 target. And after 4 rapid-fire shots, all 36 pellets remained completely inside the reduced-size silhouette.
    I will have to look into the Federal low-recoil ammo, although I assume the lack of recoil coincides with a reduced velocity for the pellets.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I will have to look into the Federal low-recoil ammo, although I assume the lack of recoil coincides with a reduced velocity for the pellets.
    1145 ft/sec vs. 1325 for the standard Federal load. That's a 34% reduction in energy. However, Federal shows some pretty interesting results for both. Go here and compare the two 9-pellet loads.

Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Shotshell - Buckshot Compare

At the bottom of the page, click on FBI test Protocol to see penetration for different intermediate barriers. There appears to be some reduction in the temporary wound cavity, but the 'slow' stuff doesn't give up much in the way of penetration.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Links