NRA - Page 3

NRA

This is a discussion on NRA within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by superdamian11 I am currently an NRA member. They are sending me renewal request. Other than standing up for our 2nd Amendment rights, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: NRA

Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    I am currently an NRA member. They are sending me renewal request. Other than standing up for our 2nd Amendment rights, what's the purpose of joining?
    By coincidence to this thread, I just renewed my yearly membership today. I'm getting a NRA Challenger knife and a continuation to my free subscription to American Rifleman, which I enjoy reading.

But seriously... if you haven't figured out by now all the important reasons why you should remain in the NRA, I don't know if anyone here can help you.
    NONAME762 and Old Sarge like this.

MJK
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I should probably just cancel my subscription to the American Rifleman and keep my membership. I'd be a lot happier. The newest edition is so full out bald faced lies and flat out bull$hit that I wouldn't force a parrot to read it while he craps on it. The NRA is a necessary evil that I grudgingly support with my membership money but it's hard to deny they're evil lying bastids.
    I do not share your views, although as a member you have a right to offer criticism. It would be helpful for you to provide a factual basis for your harsh opinion and instead work to make the NRA better.

Just sayin'...
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    I do not share your views, although as a member you have a right to offer criticism. It would be helpful for you to provide a factual basis for your harsh opinion and instead work to make the NRA better.

Just sayin'...
    I was thinking the same thing... what "bald faced lies and flat out bull$hit" in AR is the OP referring to? Any specific examples?

No doubt the NRA occasionally plays on our emotions and passions to help get their agenda across, but so does every other special interest group out there involving politically charged issues. I just choose to belong to the ones that I believe support my peoples best interests.

The NRA is purported to be the main pro gun outfit in the USA. I probably would not disagree with that. Of the 2 mags I got American Rifleman was better for me. I enjoyed the articles along with the SD stories in the back. Plus you get some cool stickers to stick inside your gun safe.

If you quit the NRA when you tire of all the BS they assault your mailbox with try Alan Gottlieb's outfit or GOA as alternatives. Both are good if not better than NRA. JMHO. YMMV
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Renew your membership, take some NRA classes, and become and NRA instructor. Many gun manufacturers sell guns at greatly reduced prices to NRA instructors.
    A semi famous quote I heard in a semi famous movie (Predator)...

Instead of complaining why don't you see what you can do to help?

I believe in the Eddie Eagle program. The anti's offer nothing but their continued 'guns are bad' bull crap.
    tdave and Ghost1958 like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Whenever I belong to the NRA, I get a renewal statement every month from day one. Calls, emails, notes sent back with uncompleted renewals hasn't stopped the monthly renewal forms. So I let my membership expire for a few months and then start the circus all over again. Maybe next time I'll send in a membership contract stating no renewals until two months prior to expiration.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The biggest problem I have found with the NRA is that Wayne LaPierre keeps opening his mouth. He seems to shove his foot in his mouth way too often without considering how non-gun owners might perceive his comments. Without the non-gun owners on our side, things will not get better.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    There are other benefits, but isn't the one you stated pretty important.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I've been receiving lots of mail from them lately. It says re-up your membership. I just joined about three months ago, I'm pretty sure its not expired yet! At least when I signed up I made sure to check if it expired 01/01/2014, it didn't. Now they're offering $500 life memberships with a nice jacket ($120 value).
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

TRX
    Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    I am currently an NRA member. They are sending me renewal request. Other than standing up for our 2nd Amendment rights, what's the purpose of joining?
    They probably need more money to buy another NASCAR sponsorship.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    They probably need more money to buy another NASCAR sponsorship.
    From what I have read having your company or organization on a NASCAR is one of THE most effective forms of advertising. It seems that way more people watch NASCAR races than any other sport. I was greatly surprised to read this, but the articles I read did quote numbers to prove their statements.

So, perhaps NRA sponsorship of a car isn't so awful after all ?!?
    DrJekell and Ghost1958 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Life Member here. Who else?
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

I'm still waiting on to receive the hat that they have promised me for years yet they always forget to send it.
    Owner/Instructor of Make Ready Defensive Training
    Kentucky Dept of Criminal Justice Training Certified Firearms Instructor in Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    www.MakeReadyDefense.com

I got a free bag when I joined :P And they lobby for our 2nd amendment rights so we don't have to as much
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    From what I have read having your company or organization on a NASCAR is one of THE most effective forms of advertising. It seems that way more people watch NASCAR races than any other sport. I was greatly surprised to read this, but the articles I read did quote numbers to prove their statements.

So, perhaps NRA sponsorship of a car isn't so awful after all ?!?
    You're right SG, The old saying "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" still rings true, plus the demographic group at NASCAR events tend to be pro 2nd Ammendment. Same thing with motorcycle rally's. Fighting City Hall and big Gov't costs a lot of money. Politicians don't have to spend money on TV ads because they get free interviews on the news all the time. For the NRA to fight back it costs money. I know everybody can't afford to join, but if just half of the gun owners in the USA joined, then the NRA could really apply pressure to the buffoons in Washington, DC.---Sturgis
    DrJekell likes this.
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links