Credit Cards extra.... Gun phenom...

This is a discussion on Credit Cards extra.... Gun phenom... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure where to put this... not even sure where I am going with this. Just something I wanted to get off my chest.... So ...

Not sure where to put this... not even sure where I am going with this. Just something I wanted to get off my chest.... So here goes.

Why is that many if not most... Gun sellers and people that are FFL's on places like Gun Broker charge extra for using credit cards? Sure... before you answer that, I already know that they pay a fee to be able to use a Credit card service. But is that not the price of doing business? Does not being able to take credit cards increase sales because buyers use it as insurance? Thats fairly well documented and so the 3% or so they need to make is supposed to be considered overall. In fact I don't know of one single Credit Card company that specificaly allows, in the account agreement, that people that use credit cards should be charged a premium. And most of these people that tack on extra if you use one are in violation of their agreement.

Just does not sit well with me. I will certainly not buy a higher ticket item without using a Credit Card to back me up. And SURELY not online! I sell stuff on eBay often enough. I don't tack on fee's for Pay Pal because its part of doing business. I get more business because someone can use their card. I don't price something where 3-4% is going to hurt me. I prefer the instant money over the hassel of waiting. Why do these vendors seem to think its a good idea?

One of my local Pawn Shop dealers does this. The other two reputable stores do not. Almost all the people on Guntrader and GA tack stuff on. Some, one I recently did business with does not.

Common people... you hired out a service, a Credit Card company... now PAY FOR IT. Ya cheapskates!!!!

I feel better now. Let the Flaming of me begin! I could care less.

If you read the "fine print" at these sites they state that their prices are for a "cash discount". That is how they get by their CC agreement. I just count it as the cost of doing business. I DO use a CC just for the insurance I get thru my provider. If the extra is going to push the price up to where I can get it locally for the same or very similar price I will just not buy it.
    Last edited by vernonator; December 21st, 2006 at 10:18 AM.

Here in Washington even the gas stations (not all) charge you more if you use a credit card. One station I USED to go to had one price for credit card, one for bank card or check and one for cash. I make it a point to pay for most things with Cash. I do however use a credit card to buy Guns. I then place Credit Card Reciept with the Files and Reciepts of purchase in my records. I like having backup proof of purchase and willing to pay a little extra for it.

3% is huge, especially when you consider that the margin for many gun retailers is generally pretty slim to begin with. I like having a gun store 'down the street' as an alternative to online only sales, so I guess I don't sweat the slight cost increase to keep him there.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

VIP Member
    What they are doing is giving people who want to use cash a discount. If you want to use the credit card, then you don't get as much of a discount. If you calculate the price and with the credit card it isn't low enough for you, then don't buy it. If I chose to use a check, MO or other cash equivalent, then I get an additional 3% off. so it goes.

At my local shop cash is king. You want the best price, bring Grant and his friends. You want to use a CC, then the discount isn't even discussed. My guy is cutting his prices so close that is how he must do it. I appreciate that he does it at all. A lot of places just build in the price of taking credit cards so that I have to subsidize all the people using credit cards. I see that as unfair to me.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I've noticed this as well, and when I've bought from dealers online that give this "discount for cash" I pay with a postal money order.

So basically these guys are increasing the chances they'll be screwed by someone with a bad money order just to save a few bucks (plus I imagine there are a few people who don't buy with them because of their policy) so one bad money order and they've lost their savings.

Oh well, their loss.

I've been thinking about this lately too. Been seeing alot of it lately.

I run a small local owned retail store, and we don't charge for using cards. We also do not take AmEx because they charge even more. Lost a few sales over it, but margins are slim in my business.

Our local pizza delivery place is charging$1.00 for using the card, AND $1.00-$2.00 for delivery fee. Guess what??? The driver doesn't get tipped! Pay him the delivery fee.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Extra For Credit Card...

or discount for using cash? Same thing, but stated differently...

Two choices...pay cash, or buy elsewhere...I choose the latter!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Either way you slice it this is wrong...

you put up a price, then advertize you take credit cards... then come back and say you "discount" for cash... and the price is really not what you listed. Wrong thing to do.

I don't believe, however clever some may think it is, that it is within your Mechants agreement to do that. In fact it comes close to fradulent. If you got the logo on your door or site and you got the service, price you stuff accordingly and average it out. Thats fairly simple to do. Sort of just figure out the ratio of cash sales to credit card sales and sell it all at whatever that price is. Fact is even if you use a Debit Card, these guys want to charge you the 3-4%! Now then you got NO protection of a credit card AND you pay extra!

It is simple to average these things out. You just have to figure out where you profit is coming from. The problem there is, if you have this sort of bait and switch method of doing business... you never know how many sales you LOST because of it. I know a few GA dealers have lost my sales over it. And I know one local guy who loses my sales over it. How many others of "me" are there out there? How many times do you not have to sell something before 3-4% becomes a moot point? That could (and I suspect is) substantialy higher then your recouping in fees.

Thats right though. Pay cash or go elsewhere. I go elswhere. How many of us do? How many sales are these guys losing?

And I see it is prevalent in the firearms dealers now. I suppose a few other types of places do it too... but I see it often here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    What they are doing is giving people who want to use cash a discount. If you want to use the credit card, then you don't get as much of a discount. If you calculate the price and with the credit card it isn't low enough for you, then don't buy it. If I chose to use a check, MO or other cash equivalent, then I get an additional 3% off. so it goes.

At my local shop cash is king. You want the best price, bring Grant and his friends. You want to use a CC, then the discount isn't even discussed. My guy is cutting his prices so close that is how he must do it. I appreciate that he does it at all. A lot of places just build in the price of taking credit cards so that I have to subsidize all the people using credit cards. I see that as unfair to me.

Thats a bit different. Thats barganing. Good old fashioned way too. But... thats off the price listed. Big difference. These guys are advertising one price then going UP if you use a card. Down in the fine print. Often these sales are far away and involve over the phone and mailing and such. You would be hard pressed to bargan that way. Thats face to face most often.

For instance if I walk into a store and see a gun laying there and its marked $329.99. I say "will you take $300? He says "are you going to pay cash?". I say "Sure if it will get me that for $300". Deal. No problem

In this case I go look and its $329. And it says below that Methods of payment Visa Mastercard MO or Checks (will have to clear before shipping) and then further down it says "price is with cash discount Credit card payments will be 4% above listed price. Thats wrong. Thats not the same thing as bartering or barganing. Its misleading and maniplulative. Because that seller knows that most times people dealing with a gun over the internet are NOT going to deal with a MO and want to use a CC and he intends to collect that too as profit. Most times he indeed does... or... people just pass on by and say forget that.
    Last edited by cphilip; December 20th, 2006 at 09:21 PM.

VIP Member
    Simple solution is that the seller can post the credit card price and in the small print way down there say there is a 3% discount for cash. Or they can advertise a price and say that there is a 3% charge for a credit card. either way someone won't like it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Simple solution is that the seller can post the credit card price and in the small print way down there say there is a 3% discount for cash.
    That would be the honest way to do it, unfortinately most of these "discount for cash" people advertise their "cash price".

Or they can advertise a price and say that there is a 3% charge for a credit card. either way someone won't like it.
    And the credit card companies would stop their service. Its strictly against the terms of service of most credit card processing companies to charge people more for using the card (thats why they call it a "discount for cash" which it clearly isn't because its the advertised price).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBk View Post
    3% is huge, especially when you consider that the margin for many gun retailers is generally pretty slim to begin with. I like having a gun store 'down the street' as an alternative to online only sales, so I guess I don't sweat the slight cost increase to keep him there.

-Paul
    Amen to that!

I'll go to the local "Mom and Pop", even if it's a few bucks more, and still pay cash, just to make sure my neighbor gets to keep his house!

I go to the big local "chain store" to drool over the incredible in-stock eye-candy inventory and compare hands on. But to purchase...
    "A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims." - Ayn Rand, The Nature of Government, 1964

Links