How does your dealer treat you?

This is a discussion on How does your dealer treat you? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How does your dealer treat you? The first few firearms I bought from my dealer they were "firm" with the price, now after 17 purchases ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does your dealer treat you?

How does your dealer treat you? The first few firearms I bought from my dealer they were "firm" with the price, now after 17 purchases they treat me like a "friend". When ordering new guns, they give them to me at cost. I go in there a few times a week just to BS and have developed somewhat of a friendship with them, hell I even got a christmas card from them.
    Just wondering how your local dealer treats you?
    Last edited by Glockman21; December 22nd, 2006 at 07:02 PM.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    |...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
    |_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
    "(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
    Don't trust anyone and always be aware of your surroundings. No one is as they seem.

I have keys.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp View Post
    I have keys.
    I have keys as well, but that isn't any kind of answer. I'm guessing your either a dealer or work for 1.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    Don't trust anyone and always be aware of your surroundings. No one is as they seem.

about the same as you they call me when they take in guns to see if im intersted

behind the counter stuff and look up the guns i want on there computer at there prices

Behind the counter privileges, got invited to his daughter wedding.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    Behind the counter privileges
    I have those as well, make you "feel" sorta special to walk in and just go behind the counter or into the office if ya want to.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||

I just found a new place that offered me a better price on my new Glock G23C than one I had bought 6 guns from. They were very friendly. I think I found a new place to buy my guns from.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Haven't really established a rapport yet. Was attempting to do so with Clark's, but I'm not quite sure how I like their operation (free range with jacked prices on ammo that you have to buy), and they were awfully firm (to the point of being outright curt) when it came time to buy my P239.

The gun store up at my folk's house is alright, but I don't go up there hardly at all any more, and the last time I was in, the guy I knew wasn't working the counter. I believe he took a break after being forced to use lethal force against a would-be armed robber. A television set on the counter was the only thing that kept him from taking a bullet.

There's a somewhat jovial place that did my FFL transfer for me in Old Town Alexandria, though (The Trophy Room - www.trophyroomonline.com). Small talk was excellent with them, and there was a jolly old guy with a classic handlebar mustache that showed me a selection of J-Frames. Of course, they're job is to be nice in order to sell merchandise, but I believe I detected a hint of true opportunity there.

They only stock HKs, a few Sigs, S&W, and Beretta, and a few others, as it's mostly a hunting/fishing supply, but from what I gathered just popping in the first time, it appears as if their landlord is looking at selling the building, and their basement shop might have to go.

A pity, really - I just don't seem to have any luck when it comes to actually establishing a relationship with my local businesses.

Assistant Administrator
    Local guy is very good to get on with. He has handled many transfers but also ordered and supplied me with new stuff over last 5 years or so.

The arrangement is very fair - he cuts me a good deal where he can and has also been more than accomodating if I have had to ship a gun out.

I have bought elsewhere but generally have the impression that the place that knows you and has had business repeatedly, is the one that'll treat you best and so - garner fresh business and of course, recommendations.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    The more (and longer) I buy, the friendlier they get- but the better the deals get, too.

local stores are a pain. they are like the harley davidson dealers. they don't care if you buy or not. to them someone will buy it if you don't. now i found a small dealer 60 miles away. she gives me the best deals around. so, now i make the drive, after i call to see what they have in stock and if they are open.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I met the dealer I do most all my business with at a gun show approx 150 miles away from home in 2002. He sold me a pair of pistols for a good price and was firm, but he allowed the price to included tax. I also found out his shop is only 11 miles from home.

Since that time he has transfered several firearms for me and I've bought some from him. He has never lied or tried to BS me. Within the last few years our relationship has morphed from a business relationship to real friends. I know his wife and daughter and I've drank gin and tonics at his kitchen table.

Because I'm a "regular" get better prices than the average joe. For example my all matching P38 (no import marks) was aquired for much less than retail. In fact when he told me the price my jaw dropped. I said "I want it and I'll get together the money, but if anyone comes in with the money sell it." He "Oh no. $xxx is your price anyone else wants it and they will have to pay $xxx. Depending on whom I talk to I saved $125 to $225.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

I have two that frequent quite regularly. The small-town shop where I know the owner and they know me and my family. Always get great deals, but only buy used guns from them.

The bigger store..... I go to church with the guy who was the gun dept. manager for many years. He is like a Godfather to my kids, and after all of the time & $$$ I've spent in there, I've gotten to know all of the other guys pretty well too.

We swap hunting stories, I go shooting with a couple of them from time to time, and I generally feel right at home when I spend an hour or two drooling over the newest selections behind the glass.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I'm only 25, and have been shopping at one of the gun shops I go to since I was 14. The problem is I still kinda get talked down to there, and I think if I'm paying grown up prices I could be talked to like a grown up. Its a small shop (not a chain) so I still go there to keep the little guy in business, plus their selection is great. There is another small shop right down the road so I go there a lot; I only learned it was there about a year ago. They treat me much better, and their prices are better on some things even though they are mostly an "outdoors" shop. I don't bargan with them because I'd rather pay the extra $ to have little shops where the employees at least recognize you, than have another chain store (with Harley like employees) where they were.
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Second what homer said about paying grown up prices and being talked to. I'm 21 and when I made my first trip to the local gun shop(Shupbachs) a few weeks ago it took me awhile to get someone to help me, then he sort of talked to me off-hand like I was some kid just wanting to look at daddy's toys or something. I didn't buy anything there on that trip, and they're gonna have to start with a pretty good deal when I buy a gun there to keep me as a customer. Granted, the guy that 'helped' me was some old guy- I've been told theres a guy closer to my age there that will deal actually treat ya like a human and wheel and deal with ya.

When I was shopping for a new car this past spring I walked out of literally DOZENS of dealerships for being treated like a kid or talked down to. I was actually working up a deal on a car with one dealer and he tried to play with words(when I say twenty four five i mean 24,500 not 24,595). Stood up, told him he was a ******* and had to come down 2 grand in 5 seconds to keep talking to me and walked out. And don't try to sound like you know more than me because you've "been selling cars for 30 years"I don't care- I can still do math and you're still a jackass. Yes I realize dropping from 27k to 24k is 3 grand, I dont need you to punch it into a calculator.
    /rant off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links