Handgun for a 21st Birthday present?

This is a discussion on Handgun for a 21st Birthday present? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yep. I have 5 kids and each of them know that for their 21st Birthday they will get from old Dad a handgun of their ...

Thread: Handgun for a 21st Birthday present?

Handgun for a 21st Birthday present?

Yep.

I have 5 kids and each of them know that for their 21st Birthday they will get from old Dad a handgun of their choice. In fact, I will have bought the gun before their 21st birthday so that they can shoot the gun extensively and learn it inside and out.

My oldest son just turned 16. That is the birthday that I designated as the birthday that the decision must be made for the gun. He is having a hard time deciding what he wants but is doing his research. I am proud of him for that.

Right now he is leaning toward a S&W M&P in .40 cal. I think that would be a fine choice and have told him so.

My next oldest child is my daughter who turned 12 in November and she already says she wants an XD .40 subcompact just like the one I carry. (she is a bit of a Daddy's girls )

After her, I have a son who turned 11 on Thursday and he doesn't know what he wants. He's just 11 so I wouldn't expect him to.

And the 4 year old twin boys of course don't even know that they will get a gun someday. But they have each fired the Ruger MKII several times.

Just thought I would share a little family tradition with all you guys.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good tradition!

With mine, it has been a .22 rifle at twelve. The two boys have theirs now; the young lady is still only nine, so still waiting.

I like the twenty-one idea for a handgun too, and have already thought about it somewhat. I'm glad to know I'm not "out in left field" on the notion!

Fine tradition expensive but a good thing

good job. a family that shoots is a good family.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Great idea and what a lasting memory for their first handgun!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I would change my mind a thousand times between my 16th and 21st birthday. I would probably pick something classic like a Ruger Super Blackhawk, 1911, or a Sig 226. There will be so many advances in technology over 5 years that there would likely be a newer modern gun that would replace any of the plastic pistols I might choose.

I will definatly start a tradition like that once my wife and I have children. 1st will be a .22 rifle and a handgun for their 21st birthday. Maybe historical military rifle in there somewhere. I am not a hunter so I tend to stick with handguns and military style weapons.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

I love it.

My girls are on track for one of these.

Here is something I stumbled across. <linky>

"Guns aren’t toys! They’re for protecting your family, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
    -Crusty the Clown

Keep your booger hook off the kill switch 'till you bead the boogeyman!

The origional M-16 made by Mattel?

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    I would change my mind a thousand times between my 16th and 21st birthday. I would probably pick something classic like a Ruger Super Blackhawk, 1911, or a Sig 226. There will be so many advances in technology over 5 years that there would likely be a newer modern gun that would replace any of the plastic pistols I might choose.

I will definatly start a tradition like that once my wife and I have children. 1st will be a .22 rifle and a handgun for their 21st birthday. Maybe historical military rifle in there somewhere. I am not a hunter so I tend to stick with handguns and military style weapons.

I thought about that and the solution I have is this: if during the years between 16 and 21 there is a gun that they would like to change their gift pistol to, we will do this by them earning 50% of the money for the gun. I will pay the other 50% and I will keep the original gun for my own.

Old Dad isn't stupid. I may just come out of this with well trained kids who are able to protect themselves very well by their 21st birthdays AND a few extra guns for me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

When my 26 year old daughter turned 21 I was asked if I was going to buy her a drink. Where as I replied no I was going to buy her something that may save her life some day. So i took her to a local gun store and let her choose, she picked out a nice SW 649, I also bought her a 1K of .38 sp to practice with, and I paid for her CCW. Last week she used the gun to kill a red pit bull that was attacking her farm animals.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links