Help me decide! - on a 1911

This is a discussion on Help me decide! - on a 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was on a mission to pick up a new 1911 chambered in 9mm but have changed my mind for now. I think I am ...

View Poll Results: Looking for a work horse, what do you think?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ed Brown Kobra $2,000.00

1 3.70%
  • Ed Brown Special Forces $2,000.00

4 14.81%
  • Springfield TRP $1,255.00

13 48.15%
  • Wilson Combat Classic $2,000.00

9 33.33%

Thread: Help me decide! - on a 1911

Help me decide! - on a 1911

I was on a mission to pick up a new 1911 chambered in 9mm but have changed my mind for now. I think I am going to do a custom Caspian build for that gun giving Jess the nod in a few month's.

But for now I am trying to decide on my next purchase and really looking for an all around .45 1911 for training and practice possible carry if the clothing is right. This gun is going to have lot's of rounds down the pipe as I am booking several training classes in 2007. I took 9 classes in 2006 and want to train even harder in 2007 so I want a quality firearm that I can dedicate to this task and leave my carry 1911's to general practice/training instead. The 9mm will be an ammo saver down the road with an all around fun gun to have and train with.

The choices (in no particular order) and the only reason there are two Ed Brown's is because he has two I like.

Ed Brown Kobra

Ed Brown Special Forces

Springfield TRP

Wilson Classic

I didn't throw Nighthawk in the mix as they have gone up in price these day's and the one's posted I can get fairly quick to right away on a couple of them.

Looking for a work horse and just want to know what you would do in this situation.

Oh yes, Merry Christmas Eve all! We are still up wrapping presents about 1:45 am here, Ok, your right, she is wrapping the presents and I am thinking about the next purchase.

What say you?

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    All are great pistols, but for a working gun, I really like the TRP. 800.00 in savings leave plenty of room for additional custom work, and plenty of ammo and accessories compared to the 2000+ base price of the others.

If money is truly no object, then the Wilson would be at the top of my list.
    Fear No Evil.

Pretty much my thinking as well hsu! I wouldn't say money is no object but I did budget up to $2,000.00 for this one. I want a lasting well made work horse and I believe the TRP fit's that model it just might not be as high of quality part's and less on the hand fitting but still a contender I think.

The only thing is I have been to Wilson, Brown or Baer land yet and this would be a good opportunity to get there but that isn't the most important thing either.

Thank's for the input!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98 View Post
    All are great pistols, but for a working gun, I really like the TRP. 800.00 in savings leave plenty of room for additional custom work, and plenty of ammo and accessories compared to the 2000+ base price of the others.

If money is truly no object, then the Wilson would be at the top of my list.
    ya what he said
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

+1 hsu!
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98 View Post
    My sentiments exactly.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

all are great i have shot a trp quite a bit and it is a good pistol
    though i myself have a craving for the ed brown Special forces right now
    you cant go wrong with any one the list i would say

except if you go the trip route ditch the 2 piece guiderod it likes to unscrew its self

So long winded but for me Ed Brown Special Forces onc you have had a custom pistol ed brown /les baer/wilson/ yost the springfield just cant compete

For Me?...

I'll have the Wilson Classic, to go, please...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret `
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If I didn't have to worry about the $$$, I'd go for Wilson Combat. Although there is another Barryville Ark. factory that's putting out sweet custom 1911's. Nighthawk Custom
    http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/default.aspx
    I've been able to check out their 1911's (haven't shot one yet). Their craftsmanship and detail are excellient.

Out of these four, gotta pick the Ed Brown SF. Man, I love spending someone else's money!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Were it on my butget it would have to be the TRP, but I I had unlimited funds I'd buy all of them. I like them all, it wuold be hard to decide on just one.

why don't you spend the time building a gun yourself. i did several guns in the 80's and they are some of the best guns that i have. below is a 45 acp parts gun. all of the parts came from gun shows in the 80's. the gun is a race gun and will out shoot any thing that you pay 1k or more for.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links