question about selling a gun

This is a discussion on question about selling a gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a new glock 30 not too long ago , and im trying to find the best way to trade it , or sell ...

Thread: question about selling a gun

question about selling a gun

I got a new glock 30 not too long ago , and im trying to find the best way to trade it , or sell it. Im trying to get a glock 27. I went to one of the local gun stores and they said they would only give me 300 for it. I know its "used", but i havent shot it, and its still in perfect condition. Just wondering what other options i have, or what some of you all have done, thanks a lot.

2. Remove Ads

Here in Texas you can sell it in the paper. Not sure of the laws in your area. Call your nearest gun shop and ask them if you can do this without paperwork. They will know the details. If you can sell the gun in the paper you can usually get a better price if you hold out a few weeks. Make sure you mention that you will need a valid ID from the individual and you will want to make a photo copy. This will discourage felons and minors from trying to purchase through you. It's the right thing to do. Meet at a Public place and bring a friend. Copy shop is a good place since you want to copy ID anyway. Be smart and patient and you will get a good price. I got $475 for my G27 this way.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Ok thanks a lot man.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Most,if not ALL gunshops,don't want to simply make a profit,they want to make a killin'. The shop you mentioned would make a very quick $100-$150 on that weapon with a 1-2 week turn around time.

Bando has some great advice. CYA and a little patience will bring you what it's really worth. Or at least closer than the "insult" that you got at the gunshop. -------

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    Most,if not ALL gunshops,don't want to simply make a profit,they want to make a killin'. The shop you mentioned would make a very quick $100-$150 on that weapon with a 1-2 week turn around time.

Bando has some great advice. CYA and a little patience will bring you what it's really worth. Or at least closer than the "insult" that you got at the gunshop. -------
    Having been it the retail business I have to take exception to the term "insult." A gunshop cannot stay in business offering you more for a used gun than it costs them to buy a new one. Many people seem to think that just because they paid a business $500 for a gun and only kept it a week they should be able to get $500 or at least back for it from a gunshop. As reasonable as that might sound it has no relationship to reality.

Think about it. Suppose a gunshop paid $350 for a gun and sold it for $500. Is $350 all they have in the gun? No! What about overhead? Rent on the building, water, gas, electricity, salaries and other expenses all have to be paid out the "profit" on each piece sold.

Now consider what happens if a gunshop buys a gun back. If they pay $475 for a gun that sold for $500 the money to pay overhead has been cut to $25, but the store will not be able to sell a used gun for $500 or even $475. They will have to take less and will in fact loose money on the deal. Suppose they paid $350 for the used gun. They can't sell it for $500 because it is a used gun. So they have to take less, but they would have the same amount invested as they did in the new gun. This means that they don't have as much to pay overhead and in some cases by the time they sell the gun the overhead has eaten up the profit.

So dealers will reasonably offer you something less than it costs them to buy a new replacement gun. Only idiots buy used items for more than the cost of new unless there is something about the used that makes it intrinsically more valuable than new. Offering someone less than the cost to buy the same item new is not an insult it is good business.

Selling the gun to an individual will almost always realize more money. The individual cannot buy the gun for what the shop pays for a new gun, so he is more willing to pay what he perceives to be a good price - less than he would have to pay in a gunshop for the same used gun.

Sell your gun to an individual and don't get mad a gunshops just because they can't reasonably pay what you would like to get for the gun and survive.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Advice on selling a gun...

If you own a used gun and want to sell it for the best price, I recommend the following steps:

1. Estimate what the gun is worth by going to websites like Gunbroker and Auction Arms, and doing a search to see what similar guns have sold for. Focus only on transactions that closed, not on auctions that did not lead to an actual sale.

2. Clean up the gun so it presents well, and put it in the original box if possible, with any attachments that came with it.

3. Avoid selling to intermediaries like pawnbrokers or gun stores - to get the best price you have to find the end customer who wants the gun for his own use.

4. Set a reasonable price for your gun and advertise it in newspapers, GunsAmerica, selected gun chat forums, shooting range bulletin boards, conversations with friends, etc. Then be patient and wait for a decent offer.

5. Follow your state laws in completing the transaction, and be careful to sell it to an honest, qualified buyer.

Yeah i didnt get mad at the gun shop. And i dont know how much they bought the gun for. They're a bunch of idiots at that one gun store anyways. But thanks !

Lead Moderator
    private sales amlost always will get you more. But you probably will have to drop the price a bit from retail to move it. Gun shops are in business like anyone else. they are there to make money.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Good advice so far. Research market value and set a price. Set an asking and a bottom line price. People will negotiate with you.

you may also advertise it on forums like this one. Be sure to state if the buyer will need to pay for an FFL transfer on your end and if possible how much. Also build in shipping or state in the ad that the buyer pays shipping. Typically the buyer is allowed a three day non-firing inspection period. If they don't like the gun or the condition isn't as expected then they return it on their dime. If you prefer to only sell it face to face then state that in your ad and the state in which you reside.

As for what the gun shop offered, well they buy low and sell high. So far I haven't met any gun dealers who are in the business for charity work. You can negotiate with them and the initial offer is usually made with that in mind. I know I was always surprised when the shop I worked in made a low offer and the seller accepted it without any negotiation. You can always walk away as you did.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Good advise above, advertise then go buy your new gun and wait, who knows if You don't sell right away, you may just decide to keep it. Don't count on selling before buying a new gun. Besides one can NEVER have too many guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowr6 View Post
    Yeah i didnt get mad at the gun shop. And i dont know how much they bought the gun for. They're a bunch of idiots at that one gun store anyways. But thanks !
    I hope I did not come across as indicating you got mad or made any wrong comments about the dealer. My intention was to provide anyone who did not understand why a gunshop's offer seems low a reasonable explanation. It was also to prevent people from seeing these offers as "insults." I buy from dealers and on occasion have traded with a dealer, but mostly if I want to get rid of a gun I sell it to and individual.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Links