(Small Rant)I never put or carry any clips in my handguns

This is a discussion on (Small Rant)I never put or carry any clips in my handguns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Clips do not go into guns. They just hold the ammo so that it is easier to get the ammo into the weapon. Once you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Small Rant)I never put or carry any clips in my handguns

(Small Rant)I never put or carry any clips in my handguns

Clips do not go into guns. They just hold the ammo so that it is easier to get the ammo into the weapon. Once you strip the ammo from the clip it is discarded or saved for reuse.
    This isn’t directed at anyone in particular but it seems to me that gun owners should know that our handguns don’t have clips. You may see the term used in movies or books written by non-gun people but a forum comprised of gun owners should know the proper term (Rant off there now I feel better)

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    When I first went in the Army the way they explained the difference was magazines were something you used over again, you only used a clip once.
    Somehow that made sense, at least at the time!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    When I first went in the Army the way they explained the difference was magazines were something you used over again, you only used a clip once.
    Somehow that made sense, at least at the time!
    In the heat of battle you just strip the clip and throw it away, but if you are at the range you can try to save money and use it over again but your statement is basically correct, you normally only use a clip once. I wonder how many people are also bothered when they hear someone say they have an automatic pistol?
    Using the wrong term just seems unprofessional to me.
    Last edited by silvercorvette; January 28th, 2005 at 02:39 PM.

VIP Member
    Can we also pick on people who call firearms weapons?

I have many weapons in my pockets and on my desk. Only one happens to be a firearm/gun/pistol.

Clips were also used in the M1s and were loaded complete with the cartridges. When the 8th cartridge was fired the clip was ejected and you loaded the next clip of eight. These were reusable also. Although in the heat of battle you didn't go looking for your clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Can we also pick on people who call firearms weapons?

I have many weapons in my pockets and on my desk. Only one happens to be a firearm/gun/pistol.

Clips were also used in the M1s and were loaded complete with the cartridges. When the 8th cartridge was fired the clip was ejected and you loaded the next clip of eight. These were reusable also. Although in the heat of battle you didn't go looking for your clip.
    I use the term weapon because I spent 20 years on the police force listening to the range officer give commands like “load your weapon with 6 rounds, holster your weapon at the command fire18 rounds at the target and holster an empty weapon”
    One flaw of the M1 design was that you could not refill a half-empty clip.
    Some of soldiers kept an empty clip on hand. The sound of the clip made when it was ejected from an empty weapon was quite distinctive. The soldier would fire 3 or 4 rounds then flick the empty clip in the air in a way to make that distinctive sound. At close range the enemy would hear the sound of the empty clip and rush him while he thought he was reloading. I would be tempted to yell fooled you before emptying the rest of the clip.

I would use a clip in my pistol were I carrying a Frommer Stop, or Mauser Broomhandle...;)
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

While under going the infantry training portion of boot camp with the Marines at Camp Pendleton one of the other privs brought something he had found on the hill we were “assaulting” during a short break and asked what it was. Our Senior DI took it, chuckled and said “Your ‘ole Senior DI hasn’t seen one of these since he was a priv in boot camp here. I’ll bet there isn’t a man here that can tell me what this is”. Being the smart ass I am I popped to attention and said “Sir, that is an eight round enblock clip for the M-1 Garand Sir”. As I recall I did 50 eight count pushups facing down hill for that one :drillserg

Quote Originally Posted by silvercorvette
    Clips do not go into guns. They just hold the ammo so that it is easier to get the ammo into the weapon. Once you strip the ammo from the clip it is discarded or saved for reuse.
    This isn’t directed at anyone in particular but it seems to me that gun owners should know that our handguns don’t have clips. You may see the term used in movies or books written by non-gun people but a forum comprised of gun owners should know the proper term (Rant off there now I feel better)
    They do if you own a M1 garand ..lol i hate that to had someone telling me they just bought 33 round clips for there glock 17 i said what ya gonna do with them ... Had to explaine it to mr i know everything gun

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    They do if you own a M1 garand ..lol i hate that to had someone telling me they just bought 33 round clips for there glock 17 i said what ya gonna do with them ... Had to explaine it to mr i know everything gun
    You are right about the M1. I did mention that the M1 clip makes a ping sound when the last round is fired. That can be very dangerous if the enemy is waiting to hear that sound and is ready to rush you when you weapon is empty.

very true .. Could use it as a suck ploy to ... Ping here they come and ya smoke um with another loaded gun

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    very true .. Could use it as a suck ploy to ... Ping here they come and ya smoke um with another loaded gun
    From what I understand they had a spare old empty clip that they would flip to make the noise. Shoot a few rounds flip the spare empty clip then shoot them with the remaining rounds when they fall for the trick.

Lead Moderator

Talking

Yep, Garand's make quite a ping when empty. I could hear mine right thru foam ear plugs and ear muffs over top .

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercorvette
    From what I understand they had a spare old empty clip that they would flip to make the noise. Shoot a few rounds flip the spare empty clip then shoot them with the remaining rounds when they fall for the trick.
    My Uncle was Infantry during WWII, and he used to tell about kind of tossing an empty clip against the reciever of the M1, because it sounded just like the clip poping out after the last round. Must have been a fairly common trick back then.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

It bothers me, but I bite my tounge. I'm normally half-way working at the range/store since I hang out there so much, and dont want to come off like a smartass towards the customers.

"Automatic pistol" doesnt bother me, if the term is wrong there are a few headstamps that need changed (.25, .380, and .45 ACP come to mind).

Well, clips are used in revolvers. If you are shooting a S & W Mod. 25, you would use a Full moon, or a Half Moon Clip.They can be used over, and over again.
    I do correct people when they refer to a magazine as a clip. It bothers me as well.
    Grendal from years past, a little handgun produced in Florida, now the Kel-Tec, used a "clip" to load the pistol from the ejection port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links