Backdoor approach to banning ammo?

This is a discussion on Backdoor approach to banning ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got this in an email from a friend who's been discussing the possible shortage of 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 ammo due to the Russian situation. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Backdoor approach to banning ammo?

I got this in an email from a friend who's been discussing the possible shortage of 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 ammo due to the Russian situation. Aside from that, he mentions the possibility of an executive order banning the importation of all products containing lead. Because of the shutdown of US lead smelters, this would lead to an ammo crisis and a backdoor approach to gun prohibition/ban.

Anyone have any info proving/disproving his analysis? (My friend's email text below)

------------

"I think the real threat to Russian ammo (7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39) is that the EPA make a big deal about that evil substance "lead" being imported to poison our land and the president will sign an executive order banning the importation of all toxic products containing elemental lead and raw lead itself. Couple that with the fact that the last lead smelter in the US just shutdown due to EPA regulations and the backdoor gun ban in in place. Eventually the recycled lead will increase in price and become in short supply as folks start hoarding even more and not shooting their precious lead ammo. Guns are pretty useless without bullets and the lead free stuff is way too expensive. Even if you could afford to purchase non-lead stuff now, when the everybody starts buying it the supply will tank and the prices will skyrocket. This is all just conjecture, but I'm pretty sure they are considering this approach."
    Parrisk and gatorbait51 like this.

I hope your wrong

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Since lead is used in much more than ammo, including widespread use in the medical field I do not see that ever happening (banning everything containing lead) . Now O banning imports of Russian ammo/arms (as Clinton did with China) might be some cause for concern- however with the EU depending on Russian gas/oil I'm figuring that is not likely at all (though I'm sure he would Love to use this excuse) He is simply not in the position to harm the EU economy and possibly shut it down over something like ammo/arms .

This whole deal could get very interesting still.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I suspect this has been a plan for some time, now. The government has discovered that they can accomplish tons of political goals under the guise of environmentalism. The forceful abandonment of lead is definitely part of this plan. Immediately, the prices of ammo will rise exponentially. The higher the price of ammo, the less people can stock up on, and the less that your average Joe can afford. When they can't ban ammo, altogether, raising the price out of consumers price range is a solid tactic. This is why we don't see too many machine guns floating around in the private sector. Consider that lead ammo has already been banned from hunting waterfowl for some time. I see articles where there are proposals to ban it from hunting other game, too. The military is also moving toward lead-free ammo. It just seems too convenient to me...

Distinguished Member
    The EPA (and every other government agency or institution) will ban or regulate everything it possibly can to take further control of your life. With no actual product or income other than taxes, it is the only way bureaucrats can rationalize their jobs. It is better to just accept this as a fact and position yourself accordingly.

With this said, I don't see the EPA banning lead. As Aceoky noted, lead is just too common of a substance used in too may ways to really shut it down - regulate it, of course, but not shut it down.
    Aceoky and msgt/ret like this.

CA has a ban on lead bullets for hunting also
    RickyD likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    With this said, I don't see the EPA banning lead. As Aceoky noted, lead is just too common of a substance used in too may ways to really shut it down - regulate it, of course, but not shut it down.
    here is some interesting reading... The EPA refused to renew the permit for the last lead smelter in the USA.. all they have to do now it bad imported lead..
    EPA Shutting Down Last-standing U.S. Primary Lead Smelter
    RickyD likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Distinguished Member
    Try starting your car without lead.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Try starting your car without lead.
    The battery technology is there... it is no better for the ecology but makes tree huggers feel good about doing away with lead.. and it cost MUCH more.

"What do we need nuclear power plants for?, heck I get electricty just by plugging my cord into the socket"
    oneshot and Daveditchdigger like this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post
    I got this in an email from a friend who's been discussing the possible shortage of 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 ammo due to the Russian situation. Aside from that, he mentions the possibility of an executive order banning the importation of all products containing lead. Because of the shutdown of US lead smelters, this would lead to an ammo crisis and a backdoor approach to gun prohibition/ban.

Anyone have any info proving/disproving his analysis? (My friend's email text below)

------------

"I think the real threat to Russian ammo (7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39) is that the EPA make a big deal about that evil substance "lead" being imported to poison our land and the president will sign an executive order banning the importation of all toxic products containing elemental lead and raw lead itself. Couple that with the fact that the last lead smelter in the US just shutdown due to EPA regulations and the backdoor gun ban in in place. Eventually the recycled lead will increase in price and become in short supply as folks start hoarding even more and not shooting their precious lead ammo. Guns are pretty useless without bullets and the lead free stuff is way too expensive. Even if you could afford to purchase non-lead stuff now, when the everybody starts buying it the supply will tank and the prices will skyrocket. This is all just conjecture, but I'm pretty sure they are considering this approach."
    Before hostilities broke out w/Ukr's and Rooski's IDK what/how much 762x39 was available. All that could dramatically change literally overnight Those calibers are Warsaw Pact calibers so rounds are available worldwide.

The last raw lead smelter shutdown within the last few months. All ammo comes from recycled lead and has for some considerable time as I understand it. The real reason JMHO ammo is hard to find is those curs at DHS and their 700MILLION R.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    try starting your car without lead.
    Hay!! Try getting the lead out!!!!!!!!!!!!
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    here is some interesting reading... The EPA refused to renew the permit for the last lead smelter in the USA.. all they have to do now it bad imported lead..
    EPA Shutting Down Last-standing U.S. Primary Lead Smelter
    Come on, this is only until they invent environmentally friendly lead - like the windmills that kill all of the endangered birds and the lightbulbs containing mercury. Environmentalists are so smart about these things!!!
    Aceoky, Parrisk, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    While he might shutdown imports of ammo from Russia, other countries will step up production to pick up for it. The Serb's and Turk's will jump at the opportunity. JMO
    Aceoky, airslot and tdave like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I got no issue with banning Russian ammo. We have more than enough capability to produce it in the US. Let's get to it.

I think with this we run into that issue that Due to the officer safety act most non lead bullets for handgun are no go ( so that would be 7.62x39-223/5.56 and others) so thus there is no real cheep alternative.. And also a lot of non lead stuff will mess up some guns a lot esp older stuff.. So I think banning lead/lead ammuation all together would be nigh immposible ... This is what one would hope would make the FUDS see all guns/ammo are in the cross hair.. Though seeing what happen in CA makes me think twice on that .. And of course despit the best efforts of CA and other places lead is still used in a lot of things ..

That all said I dont think we are going to pull a 93 china and ban imported ammo from the soivt block.. Unless they commite true war crimes .. Ie machin guning civialans etc in the streets then we may see that happen .. And consider how much of there arms indurstay is now for the USA this could be a very big targets ...

This would hurt most I think 5.45 and mosin stuff both of thouse guns have limted to none USA markers so getting rid of imports would be very very bad ...
    Aceoky and tdave like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links