Glock vs Steyr

Glock vs Steyr

This is a discussion on Glock vs Steyr within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At this time I own a Glock 23. I love the pistol, but since the G23 is a .40 on a 9mm frame, I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Glock vs Steyr

Glock vs Steyr

At this time I own a Glock 23. I love the pistol, but since the G23 is a .40 on a 9mm frame, I am afraid that it could wear out much faster or start having reliability issues in the near future. Since it is my carry and home defense gun I want something as reliable as possible. I haven't heard a lot about Steyr handguns, but from what I have read they seem to be good reliable firearms and their .40 cal pistols are designed around that caliber. Something that really stood out is some folks claim that Steyr is what Glock should have been. Would trading my Glock for a Steyr be a bad move?
    Last edited by AmmoFan01; March 13th, 2014 at 11:53 PM.

OH lord this is going to get ugle :)

Uh do you like the glock and can shoot it ? If so cosnider how you can either just send it to glock or heck replce almost all if not all parts yoursefle I would not worry about it ... Now if you cant shoot it worth a crap then go Steyr

I hear good things about them as well.. I guess my only thing to look up is how hard are the mags and holster to find for it ... No idea as I have not looked much into them
    AmmoFan01 and remington79 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    Get a Sig and step above both of them.

MLK works for the Police and got them to switch to the Glock .40's only for them to suffer massive wear issues. He has since convinced wthen to go back to 9mm. Ask MLK about it.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoFan01 View Post
    At this time I own a Glock 23. I love the pistol, but since the G23 was designed around 9mm, I am afraid that it could wear out much faster or start having reliability issues in the near future. Since it is my carry and home defense gun I want something as reliable as possible. I haven't heard a lot about Steyr handguns, but from what I have read they seem to be good reliable firearms and their .40 cal pistols are designed around that caliber. Something that really stood out is some folks claim that Steyr is what Glock should have been. Would trading my Glock for a Steyr be a bad move?
    MAYBE it would be a mistake. It depends.

I had a STEYR that I recently sold. It was a FANTASTIC pistol. Zero flaws, defects, or malfunctions.

It was 40 cal, and I decided to go with 9mm primarily. Also, it was hard as heck to get holsters that I wanted to fit it. Another problem, people didnt know what a Steyr was. Everyone has heard of Glock, but few know about Steyr Mannlicher.

But I got to tell you, they have the best sights I have ever seen for a fighting pistol, and are a joy to shoot. Im what they call a "Glock fan boy", here. But Glock has nothing on Steyr, in my book.

It IS true that no 40 cal will get the round count on them that a 9mm will, however I think you can safely relax regarding the Glock "wearing out" from normal shooting.
    AmmoFan01 and DetChris like this.

1. Get off the internet

2. Stop listening to idiots.

3. Pour your effort into mastering proficiency with the weapon you already own.

My question is where did you come up with the thinking that the 9mm would wear out faster than any other round. Pistols are designed to fire thousands of rounds, if I remember correct the Beretta M9 pistols the US Army tested fired something like 50 to 70 thousand rounds without a hitch and without cleaning. The average person will never fire that many rounds in a life time. If you want to buy a Steyr .40 cal go and buy the pistol, but don't buy it thinking that your Glock will wear out, it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam42 View Post
    My question is where did you come up with the thinking that the 9mm would wear out faster than any other round.
    To be fair, he did say "Glock 23" which is .40 caliber and one of the reasons for Glock adding an additional pin to the frame. That said, Glock has Very good customer service, I imagine that if you did manage to wear out a frame by shooting a steady diet of .40's through it, Glock would replace the frame for a modest fee (I've heard $150 rumored for damaged frames, but can't swear to anything.)
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    A bad move? Maybe.

Is trading your G23 for another gun because your worried about wearing it out, and because some other people said "Steyr is what Glock should have been" - Pointless?? Ya, I think so.

Shoot you G23 and enjoy it - I'll bet you'll go broke feeding it ammo before you see the first signs of it "wearing out".

But if you want to get the Steyr - get the Steyr. But don't do it because of a false shortcoming of your Glock.
    GWarden, DetChris and AmmoFan01 like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

What is a steyr?
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Adam42 View Post
    My question is where did you come up with the thinking that the 9mm would wear out faster than any other round. Pistols are designed to fire thousands of rounds, if I remember correct the Beretta M9 pistols the US Army tested fired something like 50 to 70 thousand rounds without a hitch and without cleaning. The average person will never fire that many rounds in a life time. If you want to buy a Steyr .40 cal go and buy the pistol, but don't buy it thinking that your Glock will wear out, it won't.
    The Glock 23 is a .40S&W pistol on a 9mm frame.

I handled a Steyr at the NRA Convention last Spring. Ergonomically it beats the G23 by miles (my opinion). Those trapezoidal sights do work very well. Are they under marketed here, yup. Will they be a Glock Killer, NOPE !
    AmmoFan01 and .XX like this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    What is a steyr?
    Another European firearms manufacturer. The pistol I was considering was the M40-A1. After reading the posts this far I will probably keep the Glock.

I've heard awesome things about Steyr and came very, very close to buying one. I like my Glocks just fine, but if somebody was willing to do a straight trade for one of my Glock's for their Steyr, I'd do it before they could blink.

ETA: Worrying about your Glock wearing out is one of the least productive things one could do...
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoFan01 View Post
    The Glock 23 is a .40S&W pistol on a 9mm frame.
    I have a Ruger SR40C the only difference i can tell (besides the Barrel) between that and the SR9C, is the 40 is a fraction wider in the slide. (I would assume the spring is different too). I can't imagine Glock not making the 23 a reliable firearm just because it has the same dimensions of the G19. The only firearm i have any reservations of is the SA XDS. I just think their 9mm has more weight compared to their .45 version because of the thickness in the 9mm barrel to fit the same frame as .45 . As a .45 it has some appeal to me , as a 9mm, i'd rather use the Ruger or Shield )
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

IMOP I would get a gen 4 40 cal glock and call it good as I said unless you cant shoot it ... Look I like styer long company makes some great guns and great rifles ( the aug etc) ..... But comeint from another nice gun a EAA I am wary of a gun till I know mags and holster would be easy to find and not expensive ...

It looks like styer mags are in the 40 buck + range and there is the only gun that use them so if supplies dry up.... I mean a glock mag is what 25 bucks or less ...

It is a tough call styer is a good gun but really as other said unless you shooting compnation and a lot I doubth you will mess the gun up .. And spare parts are cheep ...

Heck even when if you manged to wreck the frame you can just put the slide on a glock 19 and there you go ...
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links