New finish on my SIG-Sauer P220 triple number slide...

This is a discussion on New finish on my SIG-Sauer P220 triple number slide... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The last P220 I had was not in nearly as nice of condition that this one was in when I got it a few weeks ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Wunderneun
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By Tundra5.7
  • 1 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By Brass63

Thread: New finish on my SIG-Sauer P220 triple number slide...

New finish on my SIG-Sauer P220 triple number slide...

The last P220 I had was not in nearly as nice of condition that this one was in when I got it a few weeks ago. For the former, a trip to the basement and a few coats of Brownell's baking lacquer had it fixed up good as new.

Well, after researching the internet about the ceramic automotic formulations that have to be baked, I decided to give it a try on my newest SIG-Sauer. It was just showing some good honest wear on the hight spots and forward sharp corners, but still bothered me.

For whatever reason, SIG-Sauer's blueing and Walther's blueing seem to be quite a bit different in how they wear. Walther seems to be a much tougher blueing job. It's a deeper blue (even if matt), it's darker, and it wears better.

Anyway, this P220 was prepped with a few good scrubbings in lacquer thinner, and allowed to air dry. The slide was heated with a heat gun and two light coats followed by one wet coat was applied and allowed to dry for an hour. It was then popped into a 200°F oven to bake for an hour.

Brownell's has nothing on this stuff. It shoots and lays better and levels out perfectly. The Brownell's lacquer produces a slightly rough or splotchy surface that I don't care for. I've used it on a lot of firearms both for me and customers, but I don't think I'll be using it again.

This VHT ceramic automotive paint produces a finish not unlike a deep dark matt blueing job. If you'd like a bit of sheen as I do, hit it with a silicone cloth and be prepared to 'ooh' and 'aah'. You'd swear it was blueing.

Enjoy:

CIBMike, remington79 and 357and40 like this.
    Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby---Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Guaranteed Worldwide Delivery in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman II--- SAC WILL BE BACK!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Very nice indeed! Looks better than brand new. How much does this automotive paint cost?
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Thanks!

About half the cost of Brownell's for more product. $7.99 a can for 11 ounces.

I did just the slide. I don't think I made that very clear. I don't want anyone to think I shot the frame too. It's in pretty good shape with a few marks above the trigger.
    Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby---Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Guaranteed Worldwide Delivery in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman II--- SAC WILL BE BACK!

Looks good !!!! Did you clean the original finish off first or coat over it. I hekped my best friend do his turkey gun with cerakote... it came out very nice but it was a lot of work. Prepping took three times as long as the actual painting.... also, how did you bake it in the oven with touching any of the slide surfaces to anything..... been thinking of mayyybbbeeeeeeee cerakoting my 1911 .. the parkerizing is wearing thin and I would like something more durable.
    Wunderneun likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

If you bend the coat hanger just right and rest the slide around (not in) the recoil guide rod hole you can suspend it without touching any of the slide.

I did not clean or blast any of the original finish from the slide. The finish is right over a sterile factory SIG-Sauer blueing. Like Parkerizing, I think a spray finish adheres better to a previous matt finish. Had this been a polished blue I would have had it blasted or sent it out to be reblued.

On a matt surface this stuff works great.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Looks very good!
    Wunderneun likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    That looks very nice!
    Wunderneun likes this.

Very nice... I see you have one of the old W. German Sigs.
    I have a W. German p228.
    I plan on having it refinished someday too. But I'm not too handy.
    I'll probably have someone like Robar do it.
    Wunderneun likes this.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Links