High Country Ammo - 9mm 115g FMJ Review

This is a discussion on High Country Ammo - 9mm 115g FMJ Review within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have never bought ammo directly from the manufacturer before, but with it hard to find 9mm FMJ practice rounds in my area, I decided ...

Thread: High Country Ammo - 9mm 115g FMJ Review

I have never bought ammo directly from the manufacturer before, but with it hard to find 9mm FMJ practice rounds in my area, I decided to go on GunBot to see what was out there. I was looking and decided to take the plunge and buy 200 rds of 115g FMJ from High Country Ammo at $0.23/rd. I thought it was a good price, but I was a little nervous since I had not heard of this company before. I did not want to place a larger order since I had not heard of this company and was givnig them a try. Placing the order was easy from their web site, the ammo was in stock and arrived at my house within 5 days after placing the order. The ammo came in bags, but the bags were sturdy plastic, heat sealed and the rounds were tightly packed so they were not bouncing off each other. I took 100 rds to the range with me last Friday along with 50 rds of blazer brass 115 FMJ to compare against. I shot a mag of the blazer to get a feel for the recoil and then shot off a mag from High Country. The felt recoil (Springfield XD9 service model) from the High Country ammo was a little more than the blazer brass but not by much. The recoil felt like the winchester white box that I normally try to shoot. Accuracy was good for pliinking ammo and I would say that the accuracy of the high country ammo was better than my ability to shoot accurately. Punch the 10 ring and had multiple head shots with no problems. By the end of 50 rds of slow well aimed fire, I was shooting through a big hole in the target. Anything out side the 10 ring were double taps that were due to my shooting rather than the ammo. During fast double tabs, I did have 1 failure to eject that caused a double feed. I was surprised by this since my Springfield XD rarely bobbles. Did a quick rack, tap, fire.. then pulled the mag out to clear the double feed. Placed the same mag in the gun and kept firing the double taps. I did not experience any more bobbles than that 1. All in all, I would say that for plinking and practice, this was a good experience.

Overview:
    Handgun: Springfield XD9 Service (4" barrel)
    Ammo: High Country 115g FMJ (new)
    50 rds well aimed shots - Good accuracy
    50 rds double taps with high ready in between - 1 failure to feed causing a double feed
    Price: $0.23/rd packed in well sealed plastic bags
    Ordering and Delivery: No problems at all and delivered to my door in 5 working days

I would recommend this ammo from my first experience, however, when placing the order, the shipping charges came to $18 ground shipment through UPS. I thought this was a little steep, but the company is in Utah and I am in southeast Texas. So factoring the shipping, it was $0.32.rd which is not quite a bargain. I justified the shipping cost based on me not having to drive all over Houston looking for ammo. So, if you were wondering about this company, I had a good experince with the first 100rds, the price was good, but the shipping cost was high. If you live closer to Utah so the shipping costs were a lot lower or can go and pick the ammo up, I would recommend High Country Ammo. The link to their web site is below.

Ammunition in-stock! 9mm Luger, 223 Remington, .45 ACP, 40 S&W, and more!
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Was it dirter or clear then other ammo ?

Remanfcaored or factory parts ?

And I have found most ammo shipments tend be a highter due to what they are ...Why I normal only buy in bulk for ammo online
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Was it dirter or clear then other ammo ?

Remanfcaored or factory parts ?

And I have found most ammo shipments tend be a highter due to what they are ...Why I normal only buy in bulk for ammo online
    It was no dirtier than Winchester white box or the blazer brass. Cleaning the gun was as easy as my other range days with other practice ammo. I am not sure if the brass was remanufactured or not.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I have purchased reloads from North Georgia Reloading North Georgia Reloading | Ammunition & Supplies
    single units of 50 can be pricey with shipping but pick up 200 rds of 9mm 115 FMJ for $62 delivered

Another place I have been satisfied with is Georgia Arms.. but they seem a bit short stocked on common rounds Georgia Arms
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Cool Quality range ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    I have purchased reloads from North Georgia Reloading North Georgia Reloading | Ammunition & Supplies
    single units of 50 can be pricey with shipping but pick up 200 rds of 9mm 115 FMJ for $62 delivered

Another place I have been satisfied with is Georgia Arms.. but they seem a bit short stocked on common rounds Georgia Arms
    I live out west and the Highcountry ammo is great for range ammo. I have two Sigs and two Rugers that just eat it like candy. The 115 and 124 gr run around .24 a round (100 round bags) and freight ends up adding about .03 a round, the sweet spot for freight seeming to be 5 or more 100rd bags of 9MM.

Their delivery time is usually very fast although they do sometimes have trouble keeping up with demand. Their stock condition can change in just a few hours but it is a quality product. In fact, UPS is at my door with another 500 rounds.

Thumbs down Listed as new, actually reloads...

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    I have never bought ammo directly from the manufacturer before, but with it hard to find 9mm FMJ practice rounds in my area, I decided to go on GunBot to see what was out there. I was looking and decided to take the plunge and buy 200 rds of 115g FMJ from High Country Ammo at $0.23/rd. I thought it was a good price, but I was a little nervous since I had not heard of this company before. I did not want to place a larger order since I had not heard of this company and was givnig them a try. Placing the order was easy from their web site, the ammo was in stock and arrived at my house within 5 days after placing the order. The ammo came in bags, but the bags were sturdy plastic, heat sealed and the rounds were tightly packed so they were not bouncing off each other. I took 100 rds to the range with me last Friday along with 50 rds of blazer brass 115 FMJ to compare against. I shot a mag of the blazer to get a feel for the recoil and then shot off a mag from High Country. The felt recoil (Springfield XD9 service model) from the High Country ammo was a little more than the blazer brass but not by much. The recoil felt like the winchester white box that I normally try to shoot. Accuracy was good for pliinking ammo and I would say that the accuracy of the high country ammo was better than my ability to shoot accurately. Punch the 10 ring and had multiple head shots with no problems. By the end of 50 rds of slow well aimed fire, I was shooting through a big hole in the target. Anything out side the 10 ring were double taps that were due to my shooting rather than the ammo. During fast double tabs, I did have 1 failure to eject that caused a double feed. I was surprised by this since my Springfield XD rarely bobbles. Did a quick rack, tap, fire.. then pulled the mag out to clear the double feed. Placed the same mag in the gun and kept firing the double taps. I did not experience any more bobbles than that 1. All in all, I would say that for plinking and practice, this was a good experience.

Overview:
    Handgun: Springfield XD9 Service (4" barrel)
    Ammo: High Country 115g FMJ (new)
    50 rds well aimed shots - Good accuracy
    50 rds double taps with high ready in between - 1 failure to feed causing a double feed
    Price: $0.23/rd packed in well sealed plastic bags
    Ordering and Delivery: No problems at all and delivered to my door in 5 working days

I would recommend this ammo from my first experience, however, when placing the order, the shipping charges came to $18 ground shipment through UPS. I thought this was a little steep, but the company is in Utah and I am in southeast Texas. So factoring the shipping, it was $0.32.rd which is not quite a bargain. I justified the shipping cost based on me not having to drive all over Houston looking for ammo. So, if you were wondering about this company, I had a good experince with the first 100rds, the price was good, but the shipping cost was high. If you live closer to Utah so the shipping costs were a lot lower or can go and pick the ammo up, I would recommend High Country Ammo. The link to their web site is below.

Ammunition in-stock! 9mm Luger, 223 Remington, .45 ACP, 40 S&W, and more!
    I purchased 500 rounds of 124 Grain 9mm from High Country, I was using Gunbot.net to find Ammo, my local range does not allow reloads, so I was looking for new rounds only (even had Gunbot filter reloads). What I got was all reloads even through they listed this a new Ammo.

I can't speak to the quality of their product since my Range does not allow them to be used, but I don't agree with the deceptive advertising listing them as Factory of new Ammo.

Don't get burned only purchase if your range allows the use of reloaded ammo.

Distinguished Member

I bought 1000 rounds a month ago of High Country in 9mm fmj. So far I have shot off 400 rounds of it without a problem

The shipping is a few bucks higher than other places but not too bad.

I bought it on a Sunday when the tend to have a $.22/rnd sale. But then it took them 5 days before they shipped probably because of demand.

I found it is a little dirtier than Federal brand but not much.

So, for a great price, and no problems, I would also highly recommend them.

Edit to say these were new and not reload brass jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

High Country is where I got some of my 45acp. After shipping it worked out to 19 bucks a box which isn't bad for 45acp. Have had no problems and will most likely order from them again.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

High County
    Freedom Munitions (who I buy from)
    Georgia Arms
    Minuteman Munitions
    Palmetto State Armory
    Ultramax
    BVAC
    On Target
    Washagol River Cartridge Co

The list goes on and on

Edit: LAX Ammo

Sponsored Links