Reversing the Magazine Release On a Taurus PT92

This is a discussion on Reversing the Magazine Release On a Taurus PT92 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Figured this might be handy for some. Reversing the Magazine Release on the Taurus PT92AF When a left-hander is looking for a firearm, one thing ...

Thread: Reversing the Magazine Release On a Taurus PT92

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Reversing the Magazine Release On a Taurus PT92

Figured this might be handy for some.

Reversing the Magazine Release on the Taurus PT92AF

When a left-hander is looking for a firearm, one thing he looks for is compatibility with his "handedness." Though the situation is improving, firearms have traditionally been geared toward the right-handers market. Some of us were "left" to adapt.

The Taurus PT92AF is a prime example of almost complete ambidexterity, with only the slide release lever being non-reversable. One of the most common misconceptions I've observed is that the magazine release is not reversable either. This is a flawed idea. This guide will help you choose firearms with ambidextrous releases, and illustrate how to reverse the Taurus 92AF's release.

Before beginning, it is of course imperative that one makes the gun "safe." This involves removing the magazine from the pistol and clearing the chamber. Here is the 15 round magazine plus the round that was removed from the chamber.

Notice this Mec-Gar magazine designed for the Taurus PT92AF has dual notches, one on each side. This is usually indicative of a pistol on which the magazine release button can be reversed.

Here is the magazine release button on the left side, or the "right hander's position," as it comes from the factory.

The first step in reversing the release is to push the button in further than is possible with the finger alone. I prefer a ballpoint pen, but most anything will work provided it is small enough. This allows the opposite (right) side to be unscrewed.

The disassembled magazine catch assembly...

...and the reversed magazine release. Installation is reverse of removal, albeit on the right side.

A function test of the reversed magazine catch.

Of course, not all left handers prefer this configuration. I, for example, would only reverse a magazine release if I were inadvertently releasing the magazine while the firearm were in use. I've not yet run into that problem, and I find my index or middle finger to be faster when reloading than my thumb. As well, the target can still be covered if one finds himself in a situation where he can make a "tactical reload," say when an attacker is down and apparently out.

Josh <><
    Last edited by Joshua M. Smith; December 30th, 2006 at 12:27 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    This could also be titled, "Playing With My New Digicam."

Josh <><

Links