Considering buying a PX4 .40, but have some questions regarding the Rotating Barrel

Considering buying a PX4 .40, but have some questions regarding the Rotating Barrel

This is a discussion on Considering buying a PX4 .40, but have some questions regarding the Rotating Barrel within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey, I've got the urge to buy a new gun this week. I'm currently looking at a PX4 storm in .40 SW. Is it a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Considering buying a PX4 .40, but have some questions regarding the Rotating Barrel

Question Considering buying a PX4 .40, but have some questions regarding the Rotating Barrel

Hey, I've got the urge to buy a new gun this week. I'm currently looking at a PX4 storm in .40 SW. Is it a good firearm? More specifically, does the rotating barrel affect the ballistics? Will I lose fps because of the rotating barrel? Thanks for the help guys

Beretta PX4 Storm Inox

There's a pic at what I'm looking at getting.
    Last edited by american23; March 25th, 2014 at 05:36 AM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Another question: can I buy a low profile slide stop without converting it to a type G model?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

This is just MHO but I'd shy away from a new 40cal. LE is shying away from the 40cal and switching calibers. What are the Chinese packing these days? Or are you OK with a battlefield pickup?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    This is just MHO but I'd shy away from a new 40cal. LE is shying away from the 40cal and switching calibers. What are the Chinese packing these days? Or are you OK with a battlefield pickup?
    I've heard that. James Yeager took some serious flak for his videos on .40's sucking. However, the rotating barrel mitigates a lot of the recoil (from what I've heard) so it's not so snappy. That's why I'm wanting to pick up a PX4 in .40. I'm still curious as to how that will affect the ballistics of it though.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I don't have it in .40 but I do have the PX4 in 9mm. I can attest to the fact that the gun is 100% reliable through several thousand rounds including IDPA and IPSC competition. It shoots as well as my skills allow!
    gatorbait51 and Eric357 like this.

VIP Member
    A couple of things:

First this isn't a rifle or a precision target pistol. Change of a few FPS and exterior ballistics (a MOA or two of accuracy) DOESN"T MEAN SQUAT. A rotating barrel doesn't mitigate recoil....recoil is a factor of inertia...mass and acceleration of the bullets coupled with the mass of the sidearm.

With that out of the way, "FELT" recoil is affected by the the rotating barrel because the barrel isn't tilting, so there isn't as much "flip" to the recoil. I have the Beretta (and a Stoeger) Cougars in 40 S&W and the impulse feels slightly different and follow up shots MIGHT BE slightly easier as the sights seem to be quicker back on target, but any difference is really minor and unless you dwell on it and focus on it, you don't notice any difference.

As for ballistics, the bullet has left the barrel before it twists and unlocks, just like the bullet has left the barrel before a barrel tilts in standard (or modified) browning lockups, hence zero affect on ballistics due to the twisting of the barrel.
    Last edited by Chorizo; March 25th, 2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Parrisk, DingBat, wmhawth and 5 others like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    What's all this about the Chinese and .40 cal?
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

Don't have a .40 but do have a 9mm, one of the best shooting pistols I have very shot. Also have a 8045 Cougar, it is a smooth shooter. I do believe the rotating barrel is the reason, the barrel stays level as the recoil takes place not raising up as in normal semi autos.
    gatorbait51 and darbo like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    What's all this about the Chinese and .40 cal?
    They don't carry it.
    QSZ-92 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I have a PX4 in 9mm and a few other 9mm pistols.. For it's size the PX4 reminds be a bit of a pitbull dog.. smaller, thicker, compact.. The recoil does feel less when shot then the others.
    As stated in another post the bullet has left the house before that barrel does it's spin and ejection cycle.
    My only issue is the sights.. at first I seemed to always be shooting WAY low with my PX4 but on targe with the others... found the problem and worked it out (me) now not only am I on target with the PX4 but shooting much better with the others.. btw I was scrunching my neck so my eyes came down to the sights instead of lifting the pistol up higher, common issue with shooters..

all my pistols are 9mm because I think it is a great round, easily found for sale, inexspensive, and if SHTF should be still easy to find.
    Wheelguns are .357/.38

I really like the pistol for many many many reasons.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    Another question: can I buy a low profile slide stop without converting it to a type G model?
    Slide release... yea. It would be the same as the standard S/C release.

Decocker... you would have to make your own. Having both, I would not suggest "Stealth" levers in F. Not enough meat to get ahold of it to go up with it. Decocking works ok with those levers.

Beretta didn't do them in F likely due to that. Needing to take the gun off safe and not being able to is a kind of big problem. Wouldn't want to see that through.
    american23 and gatorbait51 like this.

TAS
    I've got the PX4 in .40 and love that gun. I love the way it shoots.

Just ordered. Big thanks guys!
    gatorbait51, EdJean and Eric357 like this.

My wife bought a PX4 Storm in .40 a bit over 5 years ago and loves it. She shoots well with it. I've shot it as well, and it is well built, nice to shoot, and has decent accuracy. Good self defense gun. She bought a Sig P238 a little over a year ago that she likes better because it is easier to operate with her arthritic hands, but kept the PX4. Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    My wife bought a PX4 Storm in .40 a bit over 5 years ago and loves it. She shoots well with it. I've shot it as well, and it is well built, nice to shoot, and has decent accuracy. Good self defense gun. She bought a Sig P238 a little over a year ago that she likes better because it is easier to operate with her arthritic hands, but kept the PX4. Just my .02.
    Sweet, must've picked a good one then. I cannot wait to get my grubby hands on it. I feel like my only complaint will be cleaning it after excessive usage!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links