Reloading problem

Reloading problem

This is a discussion on Reloading problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I use a Dillon 550b. It works great , but I seem to bend/break the deprime pin occasionally. I am on #3 . Yes Dillon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading problem

Lead Moderator

Reloading problem

I use a Dillon 550b. It works great , but I seem to bend/break the deprime pin occasionally. I am on #3 . Yes Dillon replaces it for free , but I am stuck till the replacement part arrives.
    anyone use a Dillon find the same problem? I thought it was because I was reloading A-merc brass, but now I wonder as I was reloading Fiochi,win and fed brass. (am reloading .40 S&W ammo, BTW)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

cant help ya as i dont have anything dillon but dies

but i would order some extra deprime pins there pack of 10 i think not a ad price then swap up out as they break so your always ready to go

Assistant Administrator
    Wondering Rocky if you are depriming primers that are crimped in - that does place increased load on decap pin.

Give that A-Merc crap a miss!!! Maybe have to be more fussy over choice of brass ro reuse.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Kinda what I was thinking. Seems the pin is made of weak metal.

not sure Chris, any idea how to tell. the inside primer pocket doesn't seem to show any visible ridge .

I toss out any Amerc anymore, even before this loading session.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I wish I could help, but I have run tens of thousands of rounds through my RL550B and not had that happen. I reload .44, .45, and 7mm Mag.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Ive broke a few decapping pins reloading 45acp change the pin and can deprime the same case it broke on i guess its just fatigue also

Senior Moderator
    No doubt about it, some brands of cases are worse than others.

I got a batch of some of the wall .45 brass one time that kept pulling my decap pin out. After that happening a dozen times I quit using that brass and didnt have that problem anymore.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I never reload with brass that I didn't originally purchase myself as new and unprimed so I reckon that is why I have not encountered this problem.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Lead Moderator
    All the ammo I start reloading is once fired brass. PD issue usually. Just wondering if some brands are more prone to known issues.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've only broken one deprime pin and that was on a rock stuck in the case. If it keeps happening, you might give Dillon a ring they may have a suggestion to help reduce the breakage.

rocky,

It's not normal, I've loaded close to 14K on my 550 this year alone and haven't lost a single pin. Are you using a Dillon die, or another manufacturer?

Check out the inside of some of your brass and see if you see a scrape mark were the decap pin is hitting the web. IF so, you've got an alignment problem.

A couple things it could be, all can cause alignment problems:

1. The little "springy deal" on the feed tray is out of adjustment, and it's allowing your brass to be out of alignment with the decapping pin. It doesn't take much to allow a piece of brass to back out of center. Adjust it so when brass is in it holds it against the shell holder and the "springy deal" allows it to turn still.

2. You could have a bent decapping rod (might have gotten bent due to step 1), or it's not centered in your brass. I'd loosen the nut on the decap rod, raise a deprimed piece of brass into the die, then tighten the nut up once the decap rod is in the flash hole. This should center things up.

I've had my Dillon since 88, and love it, they're a great bunch of guys with fantastic service. I secretly scheme of ways to get a 650 past. my wife without her noticing.

Whatever you do, remember their motto; "Don't suffer in silence".

Give them a call!

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    2. You could have a bent decapping rod (might have gotten bent due to step 1), or it's not centered in your brass.
    I'm with Chuck on this one. I can't speak specifically to the Dillon, but if you have repeated failures, there's a good possibility it's bent or sitting crooked and the pressure is not straight on the pin causing it to bend slightly,then break.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have some rounds were the primer did not seat properly and protrudes, didn't notice till I completed the rounds. What do you guys do with these?

Assistant Administrator
    Depends how many - but if only a few then use a bullet puller - inertial or otherwise and disassemble the rounds.

Then put empty case thru stage 1 just to finish primer seating and then proceed as normal - re flare case mouth, recharge and seat bullet again.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Thanks guys, will look into the centering of the case /pin once the new pin arrives. Sounds as if it might be the most likely cause.
    Dillon suggested placing a washer under the pin mount to limit pin depth, but I don't think this is the problem. will let you all know what I find ,once the new pin gets here.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links