What are they??? Glock blue mag bases

This is a discussion on What are they??? Glock blue mag bases within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was watching an episode of Cops the other day and I noticed that all the cops in that segment of the show had "blue" ...

Thread: What are they??? Glock blue mag bases

I was watching an episode of Cops the other day and I noticed that all the cops in that segment of the show had "blue" magazines in their duty weapons. Later I saw another episode and noticed the same thing.

Can anyone tell me what the significance of these "blue" magazines is.

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but it's new to me.

Well

Glock makes a blue magazine base plate for their Simunitions training pistols, but it will fit on the "real" magazines too. I use them, and the Glock orange base plates for keeping track of some of my spare magazines so maybe that's what they use it for. If it was a solid blue magazine, I know of a company that makes a solid training magazine that is only for loading practice, but won't hold any ammo. Available from Dillon here:
    http://dillonprecision.com/template/...3&min=2&dyn=1&
    But I didn't see the episode, don't know why they'd carry solid training magazines unless it was a staged scene.

VIP Member
    If it was while on the road or a "hot" range, the colored magazine could connotate a particular load in the magazine and/or it's that PD's identification that the gun is in fact "hot" (i.e.: loaded).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

It didn't appear to be a staged scene as there was a high speed chase on busy streets and they weren't at a range either.

I'm stumped!

It could have been just the base plate that was blue, as I didn't see the entire magazine.

Wish I could remember the exact episode, I'd write the department and ask them.

Administrator
    Hmm, I cant think of a good reason why they would do this. Several makers do make colored base plates for their mags, but they are for training or to note that the mag has special ammo. I dont know why they would use these for everyday use.

Maybe the tube is going bad on your TV?

Sold on Ebay

A vendor on Ebay sells these for 99 cents each. He says they allow you to identify your mags at the range.

Blue Glock baseplates on Ebay

I seem to recall seeing a company that made multiple colors so that you could keep track of your own magazines.

I don't know that I would use the light-blue or the orange for carry/duty magazines (live ammo) because light-blue generally means "sim-gun" and orange usually means "dummy." It'd really stink to have a screw-up if someone grabbed the wrong one.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I don't know that I would use the light-blue or the orange for carry/duty magazines (live ammo) because light-blue generally means "sim-gun" and orange usually means "dummy." It'd really stink to have a screw-up if someone grabbed the wrong one.
    Yep, that's a fugger-up waiting to happen, if that department goes for off-site training. Blue has become the other "safe" color.

Some departments use these so the officer can find his weapon easier in a low light situation if the gun is dropped or dislodged from his grip during a struggle or something.

If you think about it, a black gun laying in the grass at dusk or night time is going to be a bear to find with just a flashlight but, if the magazine has a bright blue base it is easier to see. And they don't tend to use orange because the theory goes that orange stands out to everyone and draws the eye to it but the bad guy may overlook blue and not see it as easy because he hasn't been trained to recognize it as the baseplate color of the magazine.

That may explain what you saw on COPS.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    A vendor on Ebay sells these for 99 cents each. He says they allow you to identify your mags at the range.

Blue Glock baseplates on Ebay

That is the color of the ones I saw. Light blue, sky blue, powder blue...etc...

What really got my attention was that all of the officers that I could see were carrying these blue mags. Maybe it was staged, but it didn't appear to be.

ETA: I noticed that a mod added "Glock blue mag bases" to the title of this thread. No prob. But I'm not sure that any or all of the weapons were Glock. They were all holstered.
    Last edited by BlueMerle; January 3rd, 2007 at 12:14 PM.

Links