preserving and storage of firearms

This is a discussion on preserving and storage of firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the best way to reserve firearms for an extended period of time? Befor 1956 I know most military groups all over the world ...

Thread: preserving and storage of firearms

What is the best way to reserve firearms for an extended period of time? Befor 1956 I know most military groups all over the world used cosmoline and the arms were dipped into it.

There is a product called Barrelguard that is a cardboard tube inpregnated with special chemicals that is suposed to protect the rifle.
    One just puts the tube in the barrel; and the fumes coat the firearm.
    The USA military now uses this method.

I a am throwing the question out to the forum as to what you all know about preserving Firearms.

The reason this is come up is that my Son and Daughter are not interested in having my firearms (or at least they act like it).

I would like to preserve them for however long it takes till someone in the family is interested in them.

I feel that if I have them all packaged and placed in a secure storage I don't want them to get corroded.

So what do you think, what is the best way to preserve them?

Assistant Administrator
    Not sure I'd bother with Cosmo but ........... back in my biking days when I had chain drive (been shaft drive now for two decades) - I used to use an aerosol of grease.

It was carried in some solvent and I think this would do well - getting some into all nooks and crannies - including barrel. Plug that too after treatment. The exterior I'd coat with a thick layer of RIG or similar.

In theory at least - if no metal surface can get contact with air - all should be well - and for most part, greases of one sort or another should do the trick.

Other additional possibility is after all that ........ put gun in a container and add a few packs of fresh silica gel - and seal the whole deal up tight inside plastic membrane.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I like Chris' idea of the storage airless pack.

Also Cylinder and Slide has a good link about it. The thing is I don't feel you can never go back to them for year's without attention. I would, even being stored and sucking the air out of the bag you should probably clean and relube again probably every quarter so 4 times a year to to keep tab's and monitor the storage to insure all is good.

Link:
    http://www.cylinder-slide.com/cleaning.shtml

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Thorough Article...

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    I like Chris' idea of the storage airless pack.
    Also Cylinder and Slide has a good link about it...Link:
    http://www.cylinder-slide.com/cleaning.shtml
    Ti.
    It's all covered there...

Thanks...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Eezox works great. Get a spray can of the stuff and it will protect for years. The proof it works:

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

It is the only thing that has kept corrosion out of the barrel of my kel-tec. I have talked to the guy who sells this stuff and he sprayed a gun down a few years ago and he hasn't even had to reapply it. It also works great as a ccw lube. Goes on wet and then dries. At first I was skeptical but it seems to work just as good as a wet lube. No jams or accelerated wear.

More info: http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/

Maybe they should be kickin me a few dollars since I mention this stuff just about anytime this topic comes up?
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

I was just reading my new Shooting Illustrated Magazine and they had an add for a new product from Break Free called collector that is supposed to protect up to 5 years.

I might try that as well as Eezox. Bando thanks for the links on Eezox it sounds good.

I got a much better idea. You can adopt me and I would promise to cherish your firearms and enjoy them for many years to come!!
    A light coat of oil, stored in a gun safe with a golden rod should do just fine.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I never cared much for ezzox stuff really stinks and i was not impressed didnt stop the rust that popped up on my xd

rig works but it does eventually dry out and turn to mud

Kevin< I'm surprised I haven't gotten more offers to be adopted. I don't have many firearms , just about 30, I do have a collection of knives that numbers about1,000 but my Son wants those.

Well raevan, since my folks are all the way on the other side of the country I "guess" I could use some good old fashioned parental guidance. If that means you have to adopt me then I gues that's just the price we'll have to pay.

A collection of about 30 firearms. I don't know. I guess it's a good thing that I'm such a GOOD son and would be willing to take care of those for you if absolutely neccesary...
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I like the smell of Eezox...
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Sponsored Links