Help - What is this WWII Vintage 7 mm Japanese Infantry Rifle worth?

This is a discussion on Help - What is this WWII Vintage 7 mm Japanese Infantry Rifle worth? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Note (1): It is not mine - and I am not acting as a seller, nor do I trade in firearms commercially or private Note ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Xader
  • 1 Post By Alex_C
  • 1 Post By manolito

Thread: Help - What is this WWII Vintage 7 mm Japanese Infantry Rifle worth?

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.

Help - What is this WWII Vintage 7 mm Japanese Infantry Rifle worth?

Note (1): It is not mine - and I am not acting as a seller, nor do I trade in firearms commercially or private
    Note (2): It belongs to someone else who would just like to know a fair price from the estate of someone they lost

About the rifle. In Good to better and servicable condition. No pitting on the finish, but some surface rust / haze.

All finishes are refined, unlike some of the junk they produced during the end of the war. This may pre-date WWII, not sure.

Chamber, bolt and sights are in full working order.

Any ideas?

Note (3): Any reference websites you can post to orient me would be greatly appreciated.

20140423_092848.jpg20140423_092900.jpg20140423_092912.jpg20140423_092920.jpg20140423_092939.jpg20140423_093016.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I'm not expert, but it looks like a Type 99 Arisaka to me. It's predecessor, the Type 38 was similar, but has two vent holes on the receiver, and is 6.5mm. The Type 99 has one hole and is chambered in 7.7mm. Most I've seen go for $150-500, depending on configuration and condition.

Yours has the AA sights, which shows that it was probably an earlier model. Late in the war, the "last ditch" models left it off in favor of faster production. The AA sights are good for value. The same is true for the monopod.

The fact that the Chrysanthemum (flower symbol) has not been scratched, scraped, gouged or ground out raises the value a bit, too.. As the symbol of the emperor, it was destroyed on rifles surrendered after the war. Yours was likely a battlefield pick-up.

The one thing I see missing is the bayonet. As an early model, it would have a bayonet with a curved quillion. Late models had straight quillions.

Check here for information on Japanese rifle markings. Check that all serial numbers match. A mismatched rifle will be worth less.

Without the surface rust, it would be one of the better ones I've seen, though my experience with them is limited.

I'd say it has more value as an heirloom than any monetary value.

edited to add information after closer inspection of the pictures

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    @ Xader - that is what I told the family, that it is more of a heirloom. Appreciate the response.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    WOW that thing still has the Chrysanthemum still on it, and wasn't scratched out....I bet that gun has some history on it.

That looks like an early War one to back when they where better made.

As the war went on the Japanese where running out of raw materials. Many times they didn't out the butt plates on them or the sites where crudely attached.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

An intact 'mum, monopod and AA (yes, anti-aircraft) sights really adds to the value. Despite the seemingly rough condition, most Arisakas will be in similar condition unless they were never used in combat or restored. DO NOT try to restore it, it will hurt the value.

I would estimate the value at $300-$400, depending on local markets.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    An intact 'mum, monopod and AA (yes, anti-aircraft) sights really adds to the value. Despite the seemingly rough condition, most Arisakas will be in similar condition unless they were never used in combat or restored. DO NOT try to restore it, it will hurt the value.

About the only "restoration" I would consider is penetrating oil and a cotton cloth to try to wipe away surface rust. It won't harm the patina, only the actual rust buildup. But absolutely no scrubbing, scraping, brushing or polishing.

Distinguished Member
    I hope it is to value the money one child gets over another. To sell this would be terrible. The generation paid for the gun we should respect that payment. Just my thoughts.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Better it sells to a collector than going to someone who doesn't appreciate it or the story behind it and just ends up rusting in the attic or getting "sporterised"...
    British by birth. American by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post

That would be my estimate, too. But that not saying a certain GB seller couldn't get $700 for it...
    It would be interesting to know if it has a "duffle cut", where the soldier cut the stock to fit inside his duffle bag. This is located under the barrel band.
    Very nice piece. Very nice.

Links