I'm in Pain..sort of.

This is a discussion on I'm in Pain..sort of. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Out of the blue, I'm the very happy owner of an early 1970's S&W 27-2. It's 4", absolutely flawless bright blue. If it's been fired, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: I'm in Pain..sort of.

I'm in Pain..sort of.

Out of the blue, I'm the very happy owner of an early 1970's S&W 27-2. It's 4", absolutely flawless bright blue. If it's been fired, I can not find a trace. She's been in a hard-shell case for more than 20 years according to the previous owner, so, no original box, papers, etc.... The weird thing is the original wood checkered grips are not with it - it's wearing good Pachmayrs.

My delimma: Do I buy some wood grips and make a safe queen out of it, or enjoy the glassy-smooth joy that the old Smiths bring? The only flaw I see on the gun is a faint line from the cylinder being cycled. The prices I've seen for similar guns is almost three times what I paid for it....but I sure would like to see what she can do.

All advice will be taken for what it's worth....thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I'll be the first into the fray.

Shoot it Son. And soon.

Old Folks Know Stuff.

HUA.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

It's a 357 ain't it? I wish I still had one of my 357s. I'd take the SS Rossi hands down 8 days a week.
    gatorbait51 and CLASS3NH like this.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Is their a reason not to shoot it? Why make it a safe queen? It was built to last many years longer than you and I will with regular shooting. Put some lead down range and have fun.... or send it to me and I will make it happen and let you know how it went
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I am not into owning things I don't intend to use. Shoot it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Is their a reason not to shoot it? Why make it a safe queen? It was built to last many years longer than you and I will with regular shooting. Put some lead down range and have fun.... or send it to me and I will make it happen and let you know how it went
    Same here. I could stand to not fill the gas tank and use that dough to buy 50R. After that I'd manage to find a way to work up 500 to one thousand rounds.

Shoot it! Please follow with a range report inquiring minds want to know.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Uh, this thread is worthless without what? Anyone?

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Quote Originally Posted by cthruit View Post
    Out of the blue, I'm the very happy owner of an early 1970's S&W 27-2. It's 4", absolutely flawless bright blue. If it's been fired, I can not find a trace. She's been in a hard-shell case for more than 20 years according to the previous owner, so, no original box, papers, etc.... The weird thing is the original wood checkered grips are not with it - it's wearing good Pachmayrs.

My delimma: Do I buy some wood grips and make a safe queen out of it, or enjoy the glassy-smooth joy that the old Smiths bring? The only flaw I see on the gun is a faint line from the cylinder being cycled. The prices I've seen for similar guns is almost three times what I paid for it....but I sure would like to see what she can do.

Sure it's not a 3 1/2 inch? those are VERY nice indeed! If it's a 70's gun..I'm betting it's a 3 1/2 inch barrel... HIGHLY desirable
    gatorbait51 and QKShooter like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I'll be the first into the fray.

Shoot it Son. And soon.

Old Folks Know Stuff.

HUA.
    Not that I am one of the smarter old guys. Most everything I learned I learned the hard way.

Shoot it anyway then give it the once over real good with some Number 9 and Break Free or light machine oil.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Uh, this thread is worthless without what? Anyone?

Nekid pictures??

Faint line? Worthless, shoot it.

Though I definitely understand the desire to keep it pristine, boy, I'd hate to have a gun like that and never shoot it. Might still put wood grips on it, though.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by cthruit View Post

The answer to your dilemma is to do both. Unless you're really sensitive to recoil and/or you're going to shoot some loads that Elmer Keith would smile at, I say dump the Pachys and find some good, classic S&W grips.

This gun is made to be shot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Faint line? Worthless, shoot it.

Though I definitely understand the desire to keep it pristine, boy. Might still put wood grips on it, though.
    Pachmyr black rubber grips Bubba.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links