Opinions on next purchase, please!

This is a discussion on Opinions on next purchase, please! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm sorta/kinda new to firearms in that I only own one firearm, but I've been shooting for 10 years or so. I'm young and poor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Opinions on next purchase, please!

Opinions on next purchase, please!

I'm sorta/kinda new to firearms in that I only own one firearm, but I've been shooting for 10 years or so. I'm young and poor and a student, so $500 or $600 is a very LARGE percentage of my income. As a result, I only have my one pistol. It's a Glock 30 SF, which I use for both concealed carry and home defense. I'm looking for advice on my next purchase.

Because there are several gun owners in my family, I have a lot of access to firearms (but I don't own any of them). I have tried concealing a Glock 21 (full size .45) and it disappears, no problems at all. I even tried tucking the new Glock 41 in my pants with my RCS Vanguard 2 and it sunk away to nothing. I prefer Gen 3 Glocks to Gen 4, so if I were to buy a full size Glock, it would probably be the 21. I like the .45, I have some ammo in it already, its mags work in my 30, etc., let's just stick with I prefer .45, so this isn't about that.

I also feel that I need a primary weapon system - a rifle, more specifically, which I would also like to purchase sometime in the future. So here's my dilemma: should I toss all my eggs in the Glock 30 basket and forget about buying the full size and just start saving for a rifle or should I buy the full size and carry that for a while and eventually have a nicely-sized companion for my rifle?

I know there's not a correct answer, I'm just asking what you would do in my situation. Just forget about the full size and go all out with my Glock 30 (buy holsters, mag pouches, etc., and be done with it) and start saving for a rifle or let the Glock 30 slide for a while while I save up for the full size Glock? Please don't say "buy both," I can only shoot one gun at a time so that doesn't help me and I am on a very tight budget. Thanks for reading this, I know I can be long-winded. Looking forward to your opinions.
    ETXhiker likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My opinion: I would buy another pistol so you have one to carry "Just in case" something happens to the all but indestructible Glock. UNLESS you think you could borrow a carry gun from a relative until you saved up for a second pistol of your own.

I suspect most of the men on the forum would suggest purchasing a long gun.

It's rough being on a very limited income - student or otherwise. Been there, done that. Hard choices to make. I wish you well.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I love this forum. You people are always so nice and seem to care, I appreciate that.

That's actually a good point. If something happened to my Glock, a big ol' rifle sitting in a safe would do me no good for concealed carry needs...

Glock 19
    farsidefan1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crusade View Post
    I'm sorta/kinda new to firearms in that I only own one firearm, but I've been shooting for 10 years or so. I'm young and poor and a student, so $500 or $600 is a very LARGE percentage of my income. As a result, I only have my one pistol. It's a Glock 30 SF, which I use for both concealed carry and home defense. I'm looking for advice on my next purchase.

Because there are several gun owners in my family, I have a lot of access to firearms (but I don't own any of them). I have tried concealing a Glock 21 (full size .45) and it disappears, no problems at all. I even tried tucking the new Glock 41 in my pants with my RCS Vanguard 2 and it sunk away to nothing. I prefer Gen 3 Glocks to Gen 4, so if I were to buy a full size Glock, it would probably be the 21. I like the .45, I have some ammo in it already, its mags work in my 30, etc., let's just stick with I prefer .45, so this isn't about that.

I also feel that I need a primary weapon system - a rifle, more specifically, which I would also like to purchase sometime in the future. So here's my dilemma: should I toss all my eggs in the Glock 30 basket and forget about buying the full size and just start saving for a rifle or should I buy the full size and carry that for a while and eventually have a nicely-sized companion for my rifle?

I know there's not a correct answer, I'm just asking what you would do in my situation. Just forget about the full size and go all out with my Glock 30 (buy holsters, mag pouches, etc., and be done with it) and start saving for a rifle or let the Glock 30 slide for a while while I save up for the full size Glock? Please don't say "buy both," I can only shoot one gun at a time so that doesn't help me and I am on a very tight budget. Thanks for reading this, I know I can be long-winded. Looking forward to your opinions.
    I'm in the same boat as you. What I did/am doing is I made a list of all the firearms I want to buy in the future. Basically, I'm buying all the pistols first, then shotguns, then rifles. If you have a bunch of firearms that you want like me, buy the cheapest ones first.

Edit: I know that's a bit off-topic from what you asked, but it's some advice to help you prioritize if you're planning on purchasing multiple firearms.
    crusade likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. What I did/am doing is I made a list of all the firearms I want to buy in the future. Basically, I'm buying all the pistols first, then shotguns, then rifles. If you have a bunch of firearms that you want like me, buy the cheapest ones first.
    It seems like such a long road... haha!

Quote Originally Posted by crusade View Post
    It seems like such a long road... haha!
    Tell me about it...being a college student really sucks sometimes!

If I were in your place, I'd save up to buy a rifle. My reasoning: Mas Ayoob says he is more accurate with his Glock 30 than he is with a Glock 21. If you shoot the 30 well, I'd rather have something completely different than something similar to what I already have. For me, the longer range capability and greater capacity of a combat rifle is what sways me.

But it's also a "do as I say, not as I've done", because I own a dozen center fire handguns, and two .22 pistols, and NO combat rifles. I do own a bolt-action hunting rifle and a bolt-action .22 rifle. But when I can afford one, my next purchase will be an IWI Tavor!

The question is, what do YOU want to do?

im in the same boat as you pretty much. my wife got me my first gun last christmas it was a very nice 1933 m91/30 mosin. shortly after i bought my m&p shield. now im looking at my next purchase and im pretty sure it will be a pump shotgun. it really is tough to decide, i go from a pistol kick to a rifle kick then shotty then back to pistol in what seems like 5 hours. but whatever you get make sure to let us know!
    crusade likes this.

I have been in your shoes being a student on $45 per week.

In my honest opinion, nothing more than that:

You already have a good CC pistol, rugged and reliable.
    Any high quality rifle system will cost you $1000 +

My advice is to buy a good condition SKS rifle for about $250
    This will cover two bases; 1) it would make a extremely reliable self defense rifle, 2) it would give you a rifle that will give you the opportunity to hunt anything through whitetail deer.

The SKS is a time tested battle rifle that gets too little credit.

This will get your bases covered until you have the funds to get another pistol or better / more modern rifle system.

I was always taught to learn my pistol well, however it's designed to get me to my rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    If I were in your place, I'd save up to buy a rifle. My reasoning: Mas Ayoob says he is more accurate with his Glock 30 than he is with a Glock 21. If you shoot the 30 well, I'd rather have something completely different than something similar to what I already have. For me, the longer range capability and greater capacity of a combat rifle is what sways me.

But it's also a "do as I say, not as I've done", because I own a dozen center fire handguns, and two .22 pistols, and NO combat rifles. I do own a bolt-action hunting rifle and a bolt-action .22 rifle. But when I can afford one, my next purchase will be an IWI Tavor!

The question is, what do YOU want to do?
    I know and my worry is if something were to really happen... I mean don't get me wrong, for everyday concealed carry, nasty people who want to attack me or my family for who knows why, home defense etc. the Glock... works, I guess. But if something really went wrong, and I mean really wrong, I want a rifle. My little baby .45 won't be much against a real serious threat or multitude of threats. Just preparing just in case... like all of us do. What do I want to do? I have absolutely no idea!! Haha, how's that for an answer?

Quote Originally Posted by wellpoison View Post
    im in the same boat as you pretty much. my wife got me my first gun last christmas it was a very nice 1933 m91/30 mosin. shortly after i bought my m&p shield. now im looking at my next purchase and im pretty sure it will be a pump shotgun. it really is tough to decide, i go from a pistol kick to a rifle kick then shotty then back to pistol in what seems like 5 hours. but whatever you get make sure to let us know!
    I can relate completely... even between different handguns or different long guns even within the same classification. Maybe once I am actually making a paycheck instead of paying thousands of future dollars in loans to go to school I will be able to make up my mind better...

Quote Originally Posted by JeepCreeper View Post
    I have been in your shoes being a student on $45 per week.

In my honest opinion, nothing more than that:

You already have a good CC pistol, rugged and reliable.
    Any high quality rifle system will cost you $1000 +

My advice is to buy a good condition SKS rifle for about $250
    This will cover two bases; 1) it would make a extremely reliable self defense rifle, 2) it would give you a rifle that will give you the opportunity to hunt anything through whitetail deer.

The SKS is a time tested battle rifle that gets too little credit.

This will get your bases covered until you have the funds to get another pistol or better / more modern rifle system.

I was always taught to learn my pistol well, however it's designed to get me to my rifle.
    You make a good point... I will do some research.

I also have the G30SF and it is a great pistol and one I would use for combat if they ever start drafting old guys. I personally think that another pistol would be a good choice for the reasons ShooterGranny stated above. Also, the G30SF is not the easiest or most comfortable gun to conceal and carry, so I would be looking at something smaller and thinner such as a SW Shield which you can get for around $400. The joy of carrying a smaller, thinner pistol will be a mystery to you until you actually have one.....and then you will understand. Or, you could do like I do and carry you second smaller pistol as a backup to the G30SF.
    Possibilities and decisions. Good luck with college. Good to see more students here that are interested in more things than just partying and babes. (the last 3 words of the last sentence pretty sums up my college days).
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

...What I did/am doing is I made a list of all the firearms I want to buy in the future...
    ...If you have a bunch of firearms that you want like me, buy the cheapest ones first...
    Dunno about that! If you save real hard and get the most expensive first, it gets easier from then on!

OTOH, I got several pretty cheap guns early on, because I was poor. One thing I found, though - When I did bite the bullet and buy a higher-end gun (not megabucks, but solid buys on good name brands like Colt), I was happier with them, and the guns only appreciated in value. I'm seeing several of the guns I bought selling used for 6-8 times what I paid for them new.

My suggestion is to make your next purchase a good brand-name metal frame gun; perhaps a 1911, or maybe a revolver. You couldn't go wrong with an SP101 or a GP100, or a nice S&W. I wouldn't try to build a collection of plastic guns until the discretionary funds are a little less tight.

JMHO
    american23 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Tell me about it...being a college student really sucks sometimes!
    "If you think education sucks - try ignorance." - Paraphrased from Derek Bok
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links