Gun videos safety checks

Gun videos safety checks

This is a discussion on Gun videos safety checks within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Really this is just a curiosity. I've just been wondering lately why do people that make gun video reviews and such feel its so important ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By high pockets
  • 8 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By Hatrix
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By miller_man

Thread: Gun videos safety checks

Gun videos safety checks

Really this is just a curiosity. I've just been wondering lately why do people that make gun video reviews and such feel its so important to show the viewer that they have safety checked the gun on camera. Let me be clear, I completely understand guns NEED to be safety checked every time you're gonna be messing with them. But the people that post videos, I feel like its kinda their problem to check if the gun is loaded. A lot of times they sound like they're trying to make me feel "safe". Look, I'm not concerned at all that a bullet will come out of my iPhone screen and strike me. I'd be perfectly fine if you checked the gun before you started filming.

Yes, I am aware this may be the stupidest post you've read today LOL !

Certainly not the stupidest post. I think the videographers are mainly trying to show: a) an example to people to always safety check their firearms, b) to show their "safety orientation" so people will take their information seriously or c) it's just ingrained into them to do so.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member
    First it's not the stupidest post I've read today!!!!

I truly think it's got to do with responsibility. If they didn't do that and someone tried to act like them and something happened it's a law suit waiting to happen. Unfortunately that's the world we live in now. No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. They want someone to blame. By doing what they do, the TV hosts ( and channels) can say look we warned them.

Just my opinion but that's what it seems like.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

I agree with the above.
    And I also think they do it so they don't get a bunch of comments pointing out how they didn't clear the weapon before getting into their video report.
    Kilowatt3, OldMick, RT and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I agree with the above.
    And I also think they do it so they don't get a bunch of comments pointing out how they didn't clear the weapon before getting into their video report.
    BINGO!!!!
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Ever read the comments on youtube gun videos before?

I've seen people throw hissy fits because the gun wasn't safety checked on camera. My favorite are people who get their britches in a bunch and go crazy because the person doing the video sweeped them with the muzzle of his weapon WHILE ON CAMERA THROUGH THEIR MONITOR
    maxwell97 likes this.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Quote Originally Posted by zeo_max View Post
    Really this is just a curiosity. I've just been wondering lately why do people that make gun video reviews and such feel its so important to show the viewer that they have safety checked the gun on camera.
    The hysterical "anti" position that altogether too many have, these days, perhaps. Seems like a reasonable precaution at the start of any video, hammering home the simple and practical safety steps that should precede any handling of a firearm. Yet another way to get folks to appreciate the seriousness of safe handling, to appreciate that it gets done each and every time. What better way than each and every time when such a training video is made?
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I agree with the above.
    I have seen a couple of videos in which the poster started the video with a comment that said they cleared the firearm just seconds before hitting record, and there was still a rather substantial amount of people complaining about not seeing the guy clear it on camera. One can never be too safe when dealing with firearms, but I can see how it would get a little old hearing from Safety Sally and all her Safety Nazi friends each and every time they didn't see you clear a weapon on camera.

I recall a hickok45 video where he said he does it to "exaggerate safety".
    Walther PPS 9mm
    MDJ IWB holster // Cooks AIWB holster
    Nelson IWB spare mag (www.nelsonholsters.com) *DC Sponsor*
    Filson belt (www.filson.com)
    SOG Twitch2

Distinguished Member
    Or maybe for some people it's just ALWAYS habit to safety check firearms when handling them.

When I do dry fire practice, I'll safety check the gun at least 3-4 times before I begin. But I still probably safety check it 5+ times while practicing. When I change drills and make adjustments on the timer or other things, and it's in the holster for a min or two, I'll safety check it before I begin handling it again. Just a really good habit.

Now, I don't think they have to announce to the audience that they will safety check it and take 1 minute to do so. One can easily safety check it in 3 seconds, and keep the video flowing.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Links