First time

This is a discussion on First time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I finally got my wife out for her first time shooting a handgun. I told her about keeping her finger out of the trigger guard ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: First time

First time

I finally got my wife out for her first time shooting a handgun. I told her about keeping her finger out of the trigger guard until ready to fire and treating the gun as if it is always loaded and ready to fire (having the muzzle pointed always in safe direction). I started her out shooting 2-10 round mags through a borrowed Colt Woodsman .22, then it was 2 mags through the G17 and 2 mags (with a mag extension) through the G26. She was nervous at first...especially the first round out of the G17, but when she found the grip she liked (both thumbs forward), she enjoyed herself. She liked shooting the G26 better than the G17, and she actually shot the 9's better than the .22. The targets I posted are from the 9mm's at about 5 yards.

I also had her try racking the slide on the G17, and she did fine with the 'hold the slide and push the gun' technique.

She did say that she now wants a pink (or purple/turquoise) .22 pistol. Yes, I had me a look online...and have read good things about the Ruger SR22, and it's available in a purple framed TALO edition. I want to get my oldest daughter (6 yrs. old) out shooting, and I know she would love to shoot that purple SR22. But I just recently bought the G26, so it's gonna be awhile before I can buy another pistol.

She had said in the past that she wasn't interested in carrying, but after her first time out shooting, she has shown some small interest. We'll see about that later.

I think she did very good for her first time shooting pistols, and I'm proud of her.

2. Remove Ads

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Awesome! Please welcome her to 'good trigger control and sight picture', for me!

Edit ADD: We need more ladies like your wife who can group like that!

Semper Fi.
    Last edited by ANGLICO; May 15th, 2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added the word 'need' - oops. I am not a Lady!
    SteelerFan and WannabeaCPA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Awesome! Please welcome her to 'good trigger control and sight picture', for me!

Edit ADD: We more ladies like your wife who can group like that!

Semper Fi.
    I'm probably the last person that should be teaching someone how to shoot. I told her the basics about how to line up the front sight with the rear, and where her finger should be on the trigger and about squeezing/pulling the trigger straight back slowly. She probably would have shot better with instructions from an actual shooting coach.
    Navydude and ANGLICO like this.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Looks like you might not want to upset her. Nice! Good to go!
    Remy, Navydude and fltsfshr like this.

Very nice, glad she enjoyed herself.
    Gives y'all one more thing to do together.
    Remy likes this.

Women shooting the first time always surprises me. They can just point and shoot and tear a target up. I guess I try to hard to keep a tight grouping. Good grouping on her shots. Glad she enjoyed it. Also time to think of pink camo gear to go with the pink gun.

Ps. Don't forget the pink hearing protectors
    Remy likes this.

Good shooting, when I let someone new shoot one of my weapons I usually only load 1round then if all goes well I load them a mag.
    Norm66 and SteelerFan like this.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Awesome grouping for her first time. I keep telling my wife she needs to get back into shooting guns with me.
    Remy likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Tell her, "Nice shooting!"
    It's always great to have a wife who appreciates firearms...looks like she'll get there quickly.
    Remy and SteelerFan like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

jcm
    Good for her! That's awesome! Tell her to keep up the good work.
    I took my wife shooting for our second date. That was 26 years ago. This year I had to be away from home for a few days and she wanted me to leave a Kimber 1911 behind for her. Lucky guy, I am!
    Remy likes this.

OO7
    I wouldn't want to stand in front of her
    "I'd rather die a lion than live like a sheep."
    "The first step to winning a gun fight is having a gun on you."

that's great! Good on her. And you.

You know you could crocoat etc that 26s ... Maybe as a present for her

Maybe offer to take some lesson at the range with her.. Some palces have women only nights or couples nights ... Could be fun ..
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    You know you could crocoat etc that 26s ... Maybe as a present for her

Maybe offer to take some lesson at the range with her.. Some palces have women only nights or couples nights ... Could be fun ..
    The next gun we 'need' in this family is a .22 pistol...so that will be next. I won't mind that it will be (or might be) a color other than black for my wife and our girls.

Her carrying is a ways off yet. When that time comes, I'll buy her a G26 (or whichever gun, within a price range, that she can shoot well and can handle) for herself. We're planning on moving around this time next year, and we'll most likely be closer to a town/city where there might be ranges that offer shooting classes. We'll see.

Nice work - and nice targets for a first outing. Those shootin' boots are really somethin' else, though!
    maxwell97 and Remy like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links