What's a 1911?

This is a discussion on What's a 1911? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by seattlekos Technical's good. I love details. OK. So are 1911s always .45 caliber? I've always just heard them called "45s." Yes, all ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a 1911?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by seattlekos View Post
    Technical's good. I love details.
    OK.

So are 1911s always .45 caliber? I've always just heard them called "45s."
    Yes, all M1911s and M1911A1s are .45 ACP. Technically, 1911 and 1911A1 are military designations, the civilian versions of those pistols are called Government Models and the civilian Government Models were chambered in .45 until Colt introduced the Super .38 cartridge in 1929. There have been a number of chamberings offered since then.

These are true M1911 & M1911A1s.

Last edited by OD*; January 7th, 2007 at 11:53 AM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Just a note on Wiki... not everything there is 100% correct, as users are allowed to modify the page as they seem fit. However, for the most part, info on Wiki tends to be right on.
    Exactly, anyone can edit anything. A lot of misinformation floating around thanks to Wiki.

~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Well, for me there are 1911s and there are the 'disposable' guns.

Once you own a 1911, I think you will be hard pressed to ever want to sell it. I have gone through more handguns than pairs of socks, but I still have the first 1911 I ever bought.

Granted, the 1911 is the handgun that taught me to shoot handguns. Also, my dad has collected and owns an obscene number of different varieties of them so I reckon my obsession is hereditary.

I love this thread.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Exactly, anyone can edit anything. A lot of misinformation floating around thanks to Wiki.
    Wiki operates under the law of nature that states, "None of us are as dumb as all of us."
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Have you never heard of Wikipedia? It's great, and here is its page on the M1911. Everything a beginner needs to know...

Cheers! M2
    I beg to differ. Everything the beginner needs to know about the M1911 is here: http://www.sightm1911.com/index.htm

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

The 1911 definitely has a loyal following. I can't think of very many other things that have stood the test of time as well as JMB's design.

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    No they aren't. I carry a .45, my wife on the other hand has a 1911 in 9mm. There are also 10mm and .38spl's available.
    So far as I know, it's never been offered in .38 Special. It has been offered in .38 Super.

You're right. I apologize for the brain dump, I'm just not a morning person.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    So far as I know, it's never been offered in .38 Special. It has been offered in .38 Super.
    It was offered in .38 AMU (Army Advanced Marksmanship Unit) . It was simply a .38 Special with most of the rim removed.

~ Tiger McKee

Colt National Match

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    Colts' National Match 38 Spl. Mid Range was the quintessential target pistol in the early 1960s'...

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    its the one model of hand gun that you can absolutly tune to your wants needs size and caliber its the perfect barbie doll of fire arms you can dress it how ever you like and you can mesage it to perfection lol also will invite rude lang and uncivlized debate

Since your question has been answered I thought you might like some other information.

If you’re looking for some good books to read up on concealed carry handguns check your local library for(if they don’t have the books ask them to get them on loan) -

Concealed Carry, The Shooter’s Guide to Selecting Handguns by Wiley Clapp
    As the subtitle states, a short overview for picking a carry gun and a good overview of handguns and calibers

Armed Response, A Comprehensive Guide to Using Firearms for Self-Defense by David Kenik

The Concealed Handgun Manual, How to Choose Carry, and Shoot a Gun In Self Defense by Chris Bird

Again, the subtitles say it all. Introductory books on concealed carry skills and issues.

You also live near a very good school to get some hands training,
    The Firearms Academy of Seattle- http://www.firearmsacademy.com/

Thanks, glembe, for the book titles and link to Firearms Academy of Seattle. Unfortunately, they say "of Seattle" but it's a bit south of me. I noticed it's got a 360 area code, and I've yet to see where it's actually located (once I saw the area code, I was dismayed because I've got no way to get there unless brother wants to make a day-trip out of it, which he probably wouldn't mind now that I think about it).

However, my work is about 1/2 block from the central branch of the Seattle library downtown, so that'll be a cinch to see what they offer.

Thanks again to everyone for the input. My curiosity's really piqued now, and I'm hoping someday to see one of these beauties in person and get to fire it.

Now, another question... are 1911s good to pack along for one's carry gun, or are they a bit too massive for 24/7?

(And thanks also for being so patient with a newb like myself!)
    seattlekos
    "Live free or die." -- NH State Motto

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    i carry mine every day all day and have even been comfortable to nap with it on with the right holster its verry concealable and comfy i use a maxcon service grade holster and find it hides bverry nice

Quote Originally Posted by seattlekos View Post
    Now, another question... are 1911s good to pack along for one's carry gun, or are they a bit too massive for 24/7?
    If you know and understand the operating mechanisms and risks of a 1911, sure. With the right mode of dress, many folks successfully carry a 1911. But they're considered "advanced" weapons for a reason, since to the uninitiated the method of carry, safeties and low-weight "pull" combine to make it less safe for newbies. Caution is due, at least until you know it and can handle it well.

Suggestion: Find a large shooting range that has a rental shop attached, since such places will likely have one or two 1911-style pistols for rent on the range. That, or just keep your eyes peeled the next few times you head to the range, as invariably striking up a conversation about someone's cool-looking pistol is going to earn you the honor of shooting a magazine full of rounds through it. Works very well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links