What's a 1911?

This is a discussion on What's a 1911? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; are 1911s good to pack along for one's carry gun, or are they a bit too massive for 24/7? I know a lot of people ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's a 1911?

OD*
    are 1911s good to pack along for one's carry gun, or are they a bit too massive for 24/7?
    I know a lot of people that do. I've carried a 1911 in one form or another for nearly 30 years, it is not so much the weapon itself, but the person carrying it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

1911 for CCW

Quote Originally Posted by seattlekos View Post
    Now, another question... are 1911s good to pack along for one's carry gun, or are they a bit too massive for 24/7?
    I think a 1911 can be an excellent choice as a carry gun, with the following stipulations:

1. The shorter barrel, lighter weight versions of the 1911 are easier to conceal and carry all day than the original steel models with 5 inch barrel. Some folks do carry the full size, which weigh about 38 ounces empty, but I personally prefer aluminum frame and 4 inch barrel or less, weighing about 25 to 28 ounces empty. These are very flat guns and conceal well in the right holster.

2. You have to practice with the gun before carrying it, so that you are completely familiar with the controls and feel of the gun. The trigger pull on the 1911 is short and relatively light, so you must use the thumb safety in a precise manner, and practice control of your trigger finger to prevent accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlekos View Post
    are 1911s good to pack along for one's carry gun, or are they a bit too massive for 24/7?
    I carry a Springfield Armory Ultra Compact. It's a good gun and I have no complaints. I plan on the near future removing the rubber Hogue grips and replacing them with micarta VZ grips.

Lead Moderator
    4" SA Champ. for me. Disappears well, LW frame makes for all day comfort/concealment.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links