What's a 1911?

This is a discussion on What's a 1911? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I hope my question didn't make folks chuckle, and I hope everyone remembers when they were learning this stuff for the first time, but I'm ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a 1911?

What's a 1911?

I hope my question didn't make folks chuckle, and I hope everyone remembers when they were learning this stuff for the first time, but I'm at a loss.

I've seen this referenced many times now, since researching getting my first carry gun (or any type of gun, actually). At first, I thought it was a particular manufacturer's model number. Then I realized I was seeing 1911s from several top-name gun makers.

So, if you were to tell an almost-complete-newbie like myself (I've at least held and fired guns, including at a police firing range) what a 1911 is, what would you say?

(I searched this entire forum, and I wasn't of a mind to look through all 150 hits I got for that one definition I'm looking for. The thread subject headers all seemed to indicate the reader already knows what a 1911 is.)

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Gov't 1911 A1 - the original John Browning ''Colt .45'' - issued to troops and much used in WWII - and said to originate from the year 1911.

Since that time - much copied and emulated - and many derivatives have been made. The original tho is what we call ''full size'' - the 5". Affectionately known often as ''old slabsides''.

This is my only 1911 right now - a Colt Sistema originating from Argentina - but apart from a different trigger I fitted, pretty much a Gov't A1 effectively.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks for the quick reply, Chris.

So are 1911s always .45 caliber? I've always just heard them called "45s."

Nice looking gun there, btw. Thanks for sharing and showing!

No they aren't. I carry a .45, my wife on the other hand has a 1911 in 9mm. There are also 10mm and .38spl's available.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

VIP Member
    1911s are all similar to the one pictured. Most, yes, are .45, but not all. They will all have a similar straight pull (vs hinged) trigger, will have a grip safety, will have the same shape and grip angle, and be single action (due to the trigger type).

The "1911" refers to the design shown. Almost all the major gun manufacturers make a 1911.

There are a couple differences, but those are the main design features that make a pistol a 1911. There are some internal similarities that can't be seen in the picture that also apply.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

M2
    Have you never heard of Wikipedia? It's great, and here is its page on the M1911. Everything a beginner needs to know...

Cheers! M2

Just a note on Wiki... not everything there is 100% correct, as users are allowed to modify the page as they seem fit. However, for the most part, info on Wiki tends to be right on.

1911 is also an addiction...

Quote Originally Posted by seattlekos View Post
    So, if you were to tell an almost-complete-newbie like myself (I've at least held and fired guns, including at a police firing range) what a 1911 is, what would you say?
    Besides being a very popular and distinctive handgun design, the 1911 is also an expensive habit and addiction, as many here will attest. I have owned about a dozen of them, and still am providing for about 8 of those.

My latest is this little baby 1911 which still hasn't grown up completely. He only has a 3 inch barrel but eats as much ammo as his adult family members.

OD*

What's a 1911?

How technical do you want to get?

Unfortunatley, "1911" has become a generic term.
    It began with the 1911, on 28 Dec, 1911 when the first 40 M1911 pistols were assembled for the military.

The first 43 Government Models (the correct civilian name for the pistol) were assembled on 09 Mar, 1912.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Well, if you ask aperson who likes a 1911 they will tell you that the 1911 is the only pistol worth owning.

What's a 1911?

The best handgun ever built!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Besides being a very popular and distinctive handgun design, the 1911 is also an expensive habit and addiction, as many here will attest. I have owned about a dozen of them, and still am providing for about 8 of those.

My latest is this little baby 1911 which still hasn't grown up completely. He only has a 3 inch barrel but eats as much ammo as his adult family members.
    I can also attest to the addiction side of this. Till recently, I had just one. A P14, and loved it. Now I've added a Kimber Ultra Carry II, and a Para Warthog. I haven't gotten the Warthog broken in yet, but the Kimber can do no wrong. I just love the way it feels in my hand. As of now, it will be my carry pistol, until or unless I find a reason to like the Warthog better, or the P14 to carry comfortably. (Can't get a decent holster fast enough to tell).

Worst of all, I really like the idea of a single stack 1911 in 10MM.

This is MADNESS!!
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Quote Originally Posted by stewartjwnls View Post
    I can also attest to the addiction side of this. Till recently, I had just one. A P14, and loved it. Now I've added a Kimber Ultra Carry II, and a Para Warthog. I haven't gotten the Warthog broken in yet, but the Kimber can do no wrong. I just love the way it feels in my hand. As of now, it will be my carry pistol, until or unless I find a reason to like the Warthog better, or the P14 to carry comfortably. (Can't get a decent holster fast enough to tell).

Worst of all, I really like the idea of a single stack 1911 in 10MM.

This is MADNESS!!
    Yes, you would like Colt 1911 in 10mm,own mine about 14 years, still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Well, if you ask aperson who likes a 1911 they will tell you that the 1911 is the only pistol worth owning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    What's a 1911?

The best handgun ever built!

Ti
    Ya like they said.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    How technical do you want to get?