Found another reason to train with my weak hand

This is a discussion on Found another reason to train with my weak hand within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't think I have ever heard this talked about, but last night something happened (which happens frequently) that made me realize I should shoot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Found another reason to train with my weak hand

I don't think I have ever heard this talked about, but last night something happened (which happens frequently) that made me realize I should shoot more left handed. I awoke at 3am to use the bathroom. I quickly realized I had no use of my right arm. I had slept on it and it was completely numb. It took a good 5 minutes to fully recover.

I got to thinking, if someone was breaking in to my home and I awoke to the sounds I would have had to fight with my weak hand. I always figure I'll have a two handed, proper grip and stance. This taught me otherwise.

Training is so important if you truly want to be a student of the gun.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin? He replied: A republic, if you can keep it.

I pulled a muscle and also developed tendinitis in my right arm 3 weeks ago. I am glad I feel very comfortable using my weak hand shooting.
    I even found a way to rack the slide and chamber a round with my only my weak hand.

To my way of thinking, these are more useful skills than just about anything.
    smolck, mano3, Aceoky and 3 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Perhaps I'm obsessive, but I've always forced myself to use my weak hand for regular activities.

When playing sports with my son, I'll bat and throw weak-handed. If I'm carrying something heavy, it'll be with the weak hand. Hence, shooting isn't a reach. I really don't shoot much worse ('says something about my strong hand skills, doesn't it? ). Now my weak-handed draw looks like I'm afflicted, and I can't write lefty, but I do think it's worthwhile to keep that spare arm busy.

Distinguished Member
    That's a situation I had not thought about, thanks for sharing it. I'll definitely have to practice more with my off hand. I don't want to be in a situation where I would have to say something like "could you wait a minute my gun arms asleep". I'm sure the bg's would be more than willing to comply don't you?
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

B amB
    gatorbait51 likes this.

i enjoy shooting with my support side. makes my strong side look that much better. yukyuk.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I don't think I have ever heard this talked about, but last night something happened (which happens frequently) that made me realize I should shoot more left handed. I awoke at 3am to use the bathroom. I quickly realized I had no use of my right arm. I had slept on it and it was completely numb. It took a good 5 minutes to fully recover.

I got to thinking, if someone was breaking in to my home and I awoke to the sounds I would have had to fight with my weak hand. I always figure I'll have a two handed, proper grip and stance. This taught me otherwise.

And think how much worse the situation would be if you kept your weapon in C3.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, dont give them a tomorrow."

It's a shame that we have to be PROVOKED by a medical issue into an understanding that our dominate hand isn't always uniquely & reliably available. IMHO, we should incessantly train in the MOST uncomfortable, distracting, "unlikely" conditions. Loud noise, walking backwards, on uneven gravel, weak handed, in bad light, etc. Murphy isn't famous for being a convenient guest. He shows-up in unimaginable circumstances. Train the way you might have to FIGHT!
    Navydude and gatorbait51 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Please understand, what you think would hamper you when you are not under duress is not usually an issue when the stuff hits the fan.

This is often the case with noise. People do not notice the noise when they are pressed into firing. The same with the number of rounds fired. The shooters seldom can say for certain how many rounds they fired in an extreme situation.

There have been many people gain incredible strength when it was needed.

It is a big difference in moving stiff joints voluntarily and doing so out of necessity. YOu would be suprised at how well the joints move when they have to do so.
    Kutz likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member
    Oh, excuse me. I thought you were talking about a non gun reason. :) Seriously though, I always devote some of my range time to shooting with my left, or wrong hand, every time. Anyone who has been in a few fights or combat knows that you do not always have the use of your good hand sometimes.
    Navydude likes this.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Though it sounds like a good idea, I admit I have never gone to the range and shot with my non-dominant hand.

I'm lucky to get to the range (chiefly due to cost of ammo) 3-4 times a month now. Good post. Not sure how to deal with this, except hope it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    It's a shame that we have to be PROVOKED by a medical issue into an understanding that our dominate hand isn't always uniquely & reliably available. IMHO, we should incessantly train in the MOST uncomfortable, distracting, "unlikely" conditions. Loud noise, walking backwards, on uneven gravel, weak handed, in bad light, etc. Murphy isn't famous for being a convenient guest. He shows-up in unimaginable circumstances. Train the way you might have to FIGHT!
    Very well said Ghost.

Lead Moderator
    Anyone practice drawing with the weak hand from your dominate side? Especially if you use a locking or level II or greater holster this can be a bit more difficult .
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Fortunately I'm ambidextrous [some just say i'm confused!].

What I can tell you is adrenaline will make that numb arm become un-numb in about a millisecond if your mind perceives a real danger. So you would have been good to go.

Going to the bathroom, not so much.

However, the premise of being able to utilize either hand comes into benefit if there is injury involved.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post

There's been a few times that I've done the same thing. For some reason in the middle of sleeping, I guess I feel the need at some point to sleep with my arm above my head and when I wake up, it's "dumb" enough that I've had to use my other hand to get it out of that position. Not a good feeling when you stop and think of how useless it is for a while. Not to mention being painful on the shoulder.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links