Springfield XDs 3.3 Slide Abrasions

This is a discussion on Springfield XDs 3.3 Slide Abrasions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just noticed that the slide on my XDs is scuffed and I can not for the life me understand why. This has been through ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Springfield XDs 3.3 Slide Abrasions

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

I just noticed that the slide on my XDs is scuffed and I can not for the life me understand why. This has been through the factory modification and as far as I know it was fine when returned. I have been using the included plastic holster and I wounder if that might be the cause of the abrasions. They look far worse than they feel with a toothpick or nylon pick but it just got my attention. Anyone else see this with theirs? Any thoughts? (Dirty holster is out of the question. It is wiped out daily.)

My best!

D~

IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Wow! That doesn't look like holster wear to me. That's a skipping gouge. BTW, what's "the factory modification"?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have found most XD seem to get scruffed up a lot like that .. Neve seen it that bad though

Plastic holster will do that kind of wear though over time
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Yeah, I've not seen holster wear like that either. I'll take a guess that the slide slipped while in a vice?

Ahh, a vice! Are those factory-installed sights?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Having handled one .. I think he means factory mods as in this gun was recaled and fixed

And yeah that is how the sigts come

Could be wrong though
    Diddle likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Did the factory recalled "fix" require a refinish of the slide?

got the same wear pattern on my XD 45 Compact from carrying in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I quit carrying it in a plastic holster and the wear pattern never got bigger.
    I have been totally disappointed with the sturdiness of my XD mellonite coated guns. Mellonite is supposed to be rock hard, yet it takes nothing to ruin the finish down to the bare metal.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Thanks Zonk! I count on you to always have the inside track on the care and feeding of all less-than-satisfactory firearms.
    zonker1986 likes this.

VIP Member
    Wow. I'm amazed at the notion that a plastic holster can mar the finish on a gun like that? Talk about thin skin!

Just another reason why Milt Sparks is still the king of carry holsters!
    shadowwalker and 5lima30ret like this.

Well guys, WR is correct. The pistol went back under the recall notice. The sights are original. I am with zonker1986 here. I ONLY used the factory supplied holster. Perhaps this a caveat for others to be cautious of?
    Do you all suppose I should sent it back to Springfield, have it, Cerakoted or just live with it? It is obvious that it has not been dropped since the abrasions align exactly with the holster. since the holster is plastic, I can't imigine it being harder than the finish on the pistol.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me.

Diddle
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

Looks to me as though a bit of hard grit, like a piece of sand, got embedded in the holster then scratched the gun.
    Join the NRA and TSRA

The plastic holster itself won't cause that. When I'm not carrying my XDS on my body, I place it in that same plastic holster and I've never gotten those types of gouges on mine.

Either that happened at the factory during the recall, or something got inside the holster and caused that.

Thank you all for your time and input. I spoke with a Rep. at Springfield and here was the reply: "This appears to be holster wear. You may want to switch to a leather or nylon holster."

My question is this. Why would you not be able to use the, XDs PH1 holster when it is included with the pistol kit? Furthermore, I have to question the finish on the pistol if the simple OEM provided holster can ruin the finish. In the following photo, I have the pistol about 1/3 out of the holster that came with the pistol. While not really in focus, (it is hard to take a picture of this) you plainly see where the holster is rubbing the slide. I made some lead pencil marks to sort of outline the match between the holster and the pistol and yes, they line up exactly with the abrasions on the slide. As a last resort, I done a test with water based Dykem and sure enough, the abrasions line up 100% with Springfield XDs PH1 holster shape.

Apparently the finish on these pistols is much like mentioned above. And that is very sad...

IMG_0589.JPG
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links