Gander Mountain - What's the Deal?

Gander Mountain - What's the Deal?

This is a discussion on Gander Mountain - What's the Deal? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in York, PA this morning on an unexpected trip to pick up my PA NR permit. Decided to stop at Gander Mountain since ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Gander Mountain - What's the Deal?

VIP Member

Angry Gander Mountain - What's the Deal?

I was in York, PA this morning on an unexpected trip to pick up my PA NR permit. Decided to stop at Gander Mountain since it was close and I have never been inside one.

Apparently their doors possess time travel capability because I could have sworn that I was in 2030 by the prices on guns and ammo.

Glock 21's for $759, plain jane Sig P226 for $1,300, WWB .45 at $29/50??

Is this normal for Gander Mountain? Anybody really buy at these prices?

I thought we had it bad here in the People's Republic of O'Malleyland but I could go out today and pick up the same

Glock 21 for $600, Sig P226 for $900 and WWB .45 for $23-24/50.

I keep hearing that they are heavy on supply and demand pricing in IL. Hence I never visit them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I don't get it. I understand that they have a lot invested in the quality of the store, but they should easily make it up in volume.

We just got a new Cabellas, and their guns are quite reasonably priced (just on the wrong side of the state line )

{edit} Perhaps it's based on demographics? York is a little more yuppified, hence perhaps less educated in what guns should cost, where redneck kids in diapers around here can quote gun specs and prices.

Distinguished Member
    The GM here locally is priced high on ammo and guns also. Other things I do buy there but not these two.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Due to its prices, GM is a source of last resort for me, and I haven't reached that last one yet. I go in, look around to see what's on the shelves, and leave. They had a lot of P-38s a while back, but too high for me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

GM here in Austin is the worst place to buy guns and ammo. Everything is overpriced. They get the crowd, though, that doesn't want to go to Walmart or Academy and won't make the drive to Cabela's... and would never consider going to an actual gun store.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    My personal prioritization of establishments to frequent (not counting on-line resources) near me:
    1) LGS
    2) Academy Sports
    3) Wally World (ammo)
    4) Dicks or other sporting goods stores
    5) Other

I will walk into a GM or occasionally a Cabellas but never buy anything there.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

yep, its normal for GM. I quit going to their store in Lake Mary, Florida because it just put me in a bad mood.

Gen 2 Glock 22....beat to snot with practically no finish left on the slide....priced at $500. Never went back and won't.
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Prices are high. I also had a very bad experience with their customer service. Took me 3 months to get an EOTech I bought online (the EOTech price was good at the time), getting the runaround every time I called their customer service line. Won't buy from them again.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Senior Moderator
    I stopped going in Gander Mountain because they were always at least 10% higher than anyone else
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I have bought a fair number of guns at GM. All but one on sale, and that one I got them to come down on the price.

Now, I will say, you aint lived till you take a gun in to sell, or trade. The prices they offer will make their for sale prices look like the bestest deal ever.

Their ammo prices are certainly high. Heck, maybe most things they sell are.

But, some of their sales are good.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    About 10 years ago you could get good deals....I bought several from them back then....now however they are as high or higher than Bass Pro....
    Their prices are way to high now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Its a nice place to browse. The only weapon I bought there was a PK380.
    I wanted the weapon, and paid the price they had on it. Later found a better deal.

If you like the popular, new things, they will have them before others. But, you pay more.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'll second the "some prices are good". They occasionally have loss leaders that are very reasonably priced. For the most part, as far as GM goes: If it's not a loss leader, they are definitely overpriced. go elsewhere, it will be worth your while.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhnict View Post
    Its a nice place to browse. The only weapon I bought there was a PK380.
    I wanted the weapon, and paid the price they had on it. Later found a better deal.

If you like the popular, new things, they will have them before others. But, you pay more.
    I agree. When I want to just browse or handle a gun, I go to the local Cabellas. When I'm ready to buy, I start at the LGS.
    3rdegree and gatorbait51 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links