Learning day at the range

This is a discussion on Learning day at the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the range earlier today to try a different grip and stance, etc. I have been having trouble keeping my aim consistent using ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By LuvMyPX4
  • 1 Post By LuvMyPX4
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By LuvMyPX4
  • 1 Post By Kennydale
  • 1 Post By Sgt45
  • 3 Post By theskunk

Thread: Learning day at the range

I went to the range earlier today to try a different grip and stance, etc. I have been having trouble keeping my aim consistent using the stiff strong arm and rigid posture. On the advice of the range officer and some videos, I tried a straight on bent arm stance with far better results
    My 5 yds aim used to be around a 5" circle at best. Today, it was 3"
    2nd Group 5 Yds Slow.JPG

So after 4-15 round sets at 5 yards, I tried it at 10 Yards, and still had decent (for me) groupings
    4th Group 10 Yds Slow Bent Arm.JPG
    But I found myself having difficulty focusing, maybe some new glasses would help.

Finally I tried some 2 shot bursts (quick succession) at 5 yards.
    5 Yds double shots Quick.JPG
    I had to draw 8" and 2" circle since I was out of targets.
    I found that I had a hard time getting the second shot on target, and sometimes shot when I thought I was close.

If anyone sees something that might help from these picks, please speak up, I am all ears (or eyes, in this case)
    Thanks

While at the range/LGS, I entered a drawing for some prizes. The grand prize was a Glock 30S 45 caliber. Now, You know I could not keep it and still be a Beretta man who likes to pick on Glocks (even though they are great guns). So if I win, I might be looking to sell/trade for another Beretta. Have to wait and see.
    Navydude, DingBat and NewportReds like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Looks to me like what you are doing is working.

I use a straight on stance, bent knee, butt sticking out leaning slightly forward. It seems to negate recoil effectively and gets me back on target for follow up shots quickly.

I use a super firm grip and somewhat loose elbows/shoulders...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Looking pretty good LuvMyPX4.

However if you win the glock, just try it once you may come to the dark side.

Yea, like that'll happen. Sounds like my stance is like 357and40's except I keep my arms fairly straight. My groups are not too good right now. I just changed sights and have to go to the range to tweak them in. Forgot my sight tool last time I went and couldn't fix them. Will try to post some targets after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Navydude View Post

However if you win the glock, just try it once you may come to the dark side. .
    Darth Smiles for Glock.jpg
    Yeah, I talked with the owners that I may not be able to keep it. I have shot a 19, and it just didn't feel right. The 30S looked good, and I wouldn't mind a 45, it still is a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Navydude View Post

My groups are not too good right now. I just changed sights and have to go to the range to tweak them in. Forgot my sight tool last time I went and couldn't fix them. Will try to post some targets after that.
    Yoda range time.jpg
    Can't argue with that.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Make sure you only confront BGs at a distance of 5yds, or less, and you'll be fine.

On a more serious note - Keep working with your instructor, if you like him/her, and you will see constant improvement ... after you unlearn everything that didn't work.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Make sure you only confront BGs at a distance of 5yds, or less, and you'll be fine.

On a more serious note - Keep working with your instructor, if you like him/her, and you will see constant improvement ... after you unlearn everything that didn't work.
    I guess that means I need to find a real instructor other than the advice from this forum and You Tube Videos
    StevePVB likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    did you watch that Jerry Miculek video that was just running?

How to shoot a Pistol with world champion shooter, Jerry Miculek .

Pay particular attention to "rolling the wrist over" - that will help with the second shot of your two shot bursts... also pay particular attention to what he says about using your support hand. it should be working harder than it probably is...

if you watch that video 100 times you'll probably still only learn 1/10th of whats actually in it.

then go watch the rest of Jerry's videos' - - instructor Zero if flippin amazing as well.
    TomEgun likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    did you watch that Jerry Miculek video that was just running?

How to shoot a Pistol with world champion shooter, Jerry Miculek .

Pay particular attention to "rolling the wrist over" - that will help with the second shot of your two shot bursts... also pay particular attention to what he says about using your support hand. it should be working harder than it probably is...

if you watch that video 100 times you'll probably still only learn 1/10th of whats actually in it.

then go watch the rest of Jerry's videos' - - instructor Zero if flippin amazing as well.
    Yes, he was my most recent instructor via that video. I will search for Instructor Zero, I assume that is on Youtube.
    DingBat likes this.

If i ever have spare cash think I would like to have a Glock (19/23) just to have one.
    N.M. Edmands likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    If i ever have spare cash think I would like to have a Glock (19/23) just to have one.
    Slippery slope Kenny, slippery slope!
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    Yes, he was my most recent instructor via that video. I will search for Instructor Zero, I assume that is on Youtube.
    Zero's pretty hardcore, likely too harcore for most of us, Miculek's stuff is a lot more accessible, but Zero is just amazing to watch, he's like Yoda.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

No joke on the slippery slope, a month ago I had zero Glocks, had no use for them. Now I have 4. As for shooting start S L 0 W L Y, get everything as smooth as you can, draw stroke, picking up your sights on the way to position 4 (where you're pushing the gun away from your body to full extension), smooth trigger press, recover your sights, reset your trigger and press again. Keep everything smooth and you will find that your speed will build naturally, don't hurry things or try to cut corners, do a lot of dry practice. good luck.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.

Lots of amateurs here. Sometimes I shoot five bullets in the same hole. Either that, or I may have missed the target?

Links