Adjusting sights on handgun

This is a discussion on Adjusting sights on handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have changed out my factory Glock sights with new night sights and will have to tweak them a little. The question I have is ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four
  • 1 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By hdhnict
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr

Thread: Adjusting sights on handgun

I have changed out my factory Glock sights with new night sights and will have to tweak them a little.

The question I have is "At what distance do you set your handgun sights? I am currently shooting slightly left of center at 10 yards and a little more at 25 yards. Hitting about all in the 9 ring on the target.

VIP Member
    I very rarely touch sights. But when I have changed sights I tend to sight them in at 25 yards. The further back you go to more precise you can be. But without using a rest I don't trust my shooting skills to not be off enough to skew results beyond 25 yards. Missing a couple inches left or right beyond that is very likely me and not the sights.
    Navydude likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Are you just talking windage? I try to get as close as I can up close so it isn't magnifyed 10 fold further away, but usually it isn't off by as much as I think it would be when I move back to 25yds.
    That said, if the sight is a press fit (no adjustement screw), I'm relatively ok with hitting within an inch of where I'm aiming at 7 yds or so. There's a part of me that wants the group perfectly centered, but there's also a part of me that says I could spend all day tapping that rear sight from side to side and end up where I started.
    Navydude likes this.

I laser boresight at 25 yds. That usually works for windage.
    All of my rear sights are fixed elevation.
    So I have to use a heavier (or slower) bullet to raise POI, lighter (or faster) to lower. Letting recoil work for me.
    Navydude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I very rarely touch sights. But when I have changed sights I tend to sight them in at 25 yards. The further back you go to more precise you can be. But without using a rest I don't trust my shooting skills to not be off enough to skew results beyond 25 yards. Missing a couple inches left or right beyond that is very likely me and not the sights.
    I am using a bench rest on a stable platform. There is no screw adjust so I have to use the glock tool to slide rear sight left or right to adjust. I think I will go for 25 yards on this and see where I end up.

Quote Originally Posted by hdhnict View Post
    I laser boresight at 25 yds. That usually works for windage.
    All of my rear sights are fixed elevation.
    So I have to use a heavier (or slower) bullet to raise POI, lighter (or faster) to lower. Letting recoil work for me.
    I have looked at these but have not used one yet. Same here with my rear sights. Press fit onto rear slide with no screw adj.

Of course the longer it takes me to set these. Then the more times I have to go to the range. Well, that's what I will tell the wife anyway.

I adjust my windage at 50 yards.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Other than windage adjustments, (which I do not believe your night sights will have. At least not screws that adjust for windage), I have only messed with pistol sights once.

Like you, I had night sights installed on a new G 19. I took it to the back woods range, and honestly couldnt hit a thing with it. I mean missing the targets.

I got mad, and pulled out my model 36 backup, and didnt expect to hit anything with it either, and was nailing the targets with it. I had my Cousin, (who I knew could shoot well, too), try the G 19, and he had the same results with it.

I took it back to the store where I bought, and had the sights installed by to fix. They were off to a degree that you could see with the naked eye. I think they were just not centered.

Anyway, the gun is a tack driver now, AND I have much more confidence in my J frame as more than a pocket gun, lol.
    Navydude likes this.

First I assume you are shooting from a solid rest to reduce operator error and your interest is close quarters defensive shooting. I like to hit where I aim, so if it were me, I'd tap that sight very slightly to the right (or if you have or can borrow one, use a sight-pusher), zeroing at the 10 yd range. If I'm in the x-ring at 10 yds from a rest, I know I'll be "close enough" out to 25. I'm not too worried about shooting beyond 25 yds with a defensive handgun unless it's just to see what happens (I'm definitely not Hickok45).
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Links