Eye protection!

This is a discussion on Eye protection! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wanted to make a quick post about eye protection. There's a thread running at another forum about a guy that just saw a fellow ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Eye protection!

Eye protection!

Just wanted to make a quick post about eye protection. There's a thread running at another forum about a guy that just saw a fellow shooter local to him that lost an eye in a bad shooting accident. Appears that a dodgy gun show reload ruptured and launched brass into his face. He was wearing shooting glasses but they weren't true safety glasses. As of right now he's blind in that eye and the doctors are trying to save the actual physical eye itself! Very scary! My heart and thoughts go out to the guy and I really hope they can fix him up and hopefully restore function to the eye.

The whole thread really got me thinking a lot about eye pro. Just as background, my dad lost his right eye in a construction accident in the 70's when I was a young kid. He was a foreman for a construction company, and while he was pretty hard@ss about making his guys wear eye pro and hard hats, he was a "do as I say not as I do" guy. Unfortunately he was driving a big ring shank nail in the days before everyone used nail guns and hit it off center; the blow sheared off the head and it flew into his cornea. Several operations over the years to come only managed to give him the ability to tell day from night with the right eye. He had to learn to shoot from the "wrong" shoulder, tough to do as an adult. Bear in mind in those days there were few left handed guns. He quit bow hunting due to no depth perception and wingshooting was a lot harder for him, too.

The point to my story is that I grew up keenly aware of how easily you can loose and eye and how hard it was to adapt. So I've always been cautious to the point of paranoia when it comes to safety glasses. Every time I use a power tool I wear safety glasses, even if it's just a cordless drill. I keep a pair on my Kalamazoo that I wear just when I'm in my shop working or sharpening.

But I have come to realize that I've had a few things really wrong. First off, I wear glasses and contacts. My scrip is pretty strong (just over -5.25 SPH) so my glasses are relatively thick. Since they're polycarbonate I ass/u/med they would be as good as safety glasses...WRONG! The link I provided is to a great article/review with some video of tests of various glasses. It's sobering and eye opening (if you'll forgive the pun).

The short story is that many cheap 'shooting glasses' aren't very impact resistant. ANSI Z87 is the very minimum standard to be called 'safety glasses', and it's a good start. But the military standard, MIL-PRF-31013, is significantly higher. After doing some research I ordered some Paramex Rendevous glasses. According to my research they are one of the few glasses tested by the American Hunter that stopped a load of #8 birdshot at 8 yards. And they happen to be pretty inexpensive.

The next step will be to get something MIL-PRF-31013 rated, and to get an RX insert. I'm thinking maybe Revision Sawflys but I'll have to do a bit more research.

Just wanted to post this as a reminder to protect those eyes! Someone in another forum posted, "You can chew with false teeth, you walk on a peg leg but you can't see with a glass eye!" Very true.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

2. Remove Ads

Having worked with all kinds of hazardous chemicals, you learn to appreciate your personal protective gear. Though at the range i don't wear a hard hat and face shield, I do wear a baseball cap. glasses and hearing protection. I have been in situations at indoor ranges, where i was getting rained on with spent casings from the person in the next lane.
    DingBat likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

I became a believer when I had a ricochet at the outdoor range where we train fly back and hit me in the face. It did not break the skin, but it stung like hell. No idea what it bounced off of, but it hurt like hell. I wear a pair of Smith Optics now. Not the cheapest or the most expensive, but very good quality.
    DingBat likes this.

Phaedrus said:
    Just wanted to post this as a reminder to protect those eyes! Someone in another forum posted, "You can chew with false teeth, you walk on a peg leg but you can't see with a glass eye!" Very true.

I have all the above mentioned except my prosthetic leg is more modern, and my eye is my own and not glass although it is blind. The OP makes a good point although in the past I have been known to be not as smart about safety as I am now. I lost the sight in my right eye chopping wood when I was 14, and I always cringe when I see someone doing the same without eye protection. My hearing is great for an old dude and I try to keep it that way, it's one of the few things that still work well. Eye and ear protection is a must at the range.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

OK. I had no idea which shooting glasses were good to go, and which ones were worthless.

To be honest about it, I made sure we all had shooting glasses, but they were apt to be ones picked up in the walmart sporting goods section, and who knows if they are GTG, or not.

THanks for info that we can all make sense of, and easily understand.
    Phaedrus likes this.

Eye protection is more important than most realize it is. It's just one of those things that you don't always get immediate problems from so it is tempting to pass up. My granddad was one of those hard@ss types that never wanted to wear earplugs but even he had enough trash fly out of .22 cases as they were being ejected to start wearing glasses.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

VIP Member
    suppose I could look into the other threads but is there a rating or way to tell what glasses offer better protection. Like ear protection has ratings do safety glasses also have ratings?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    OK. I had no idea which shooting glasses were good to go, and which ones were worthless.

To be honest about it, I made sure we all had shooting glasses, but they were apt to be ones picked up in the walmart sporting goods section, and who knows if they are GTG, or not.

THanks for info that we can all make sense of, and easily understand.
    Check the packaging. if they aren't ANSI rated, don't waste your money on them.
    StormRhydr and Kennydale like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Check the packaging. if they aren't ANSI rated, don't waste your money on them.
    Thanks, Archer. Didnt know that either.

I have been on top of it for ear protection from day one. Since I wear eye glasses normally, which often cause fit issues with safety glasses, I havent been as up on it all as I should have been with shooting glasses.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i've been a mechanic, welder, machinist, and fabricator my whole life. NOT using Personal Protective gear is just stupid.

BTW- the BEST deal in eye-wear is 3M's safety glasses, local here at Home Depot you can get clear, light-smoke, and dark smoke, each for about 3 dollars. same OSHA/ANSI mandated front and side protection as the hundred dollar name brands, and they look decent too. and when i invariably scratch them, sit on them, or set them on a hot weldment and melt them, i can replace them for less than a starbucks coffe. i tried to the expensive brands a few times, they never lasted any longer than the 3M's, some of them looked stupider(on me) and some of them were less comfortable (though i liked the wiley-x's) but for about $3 a pop, it's hard to beat the 3M. and FWIW- the Dark ones are Dark enough to FLAME CUT STEEL WITH A TORCH, if someone is inclined to need dark glasses, of course prescription lenses are another matter altogether....
    StormRhydr and Kennydale like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Thanks, Archer. Didnt know that either.

I have been on top of it for ear protection from day one. Since I wear eye glasses normally, which often cause fit issues with safety glasses, I havent been as up on it all as I should have been with shooting glasses.
    Two things to consider. On your regular glasses get polycarbonate lenses. They are impact resistant. Second, you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy ANSI rated safety glasses that are designed to be worn in conjunction with regular glasses. When I was still working in the voice/data field that is how I handled it on construction sights. Now that I'm in the warehouse I just wear my regular glasses with the polycarbonate lenses.
    Kennydale and StormRhydr like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    One of my local ranges requires eye protection, one does not. I wear either way
    StormRhydr likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Some good info on this thread! Having had rusty steel filings dug out of my eye once (which left a rust stain), not wearing eye protection is foolish for anyone involved in actions that can send things flying or falling.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    An important heads-up to one and all. Thanks for posting.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I have a friend who lost an eye in an accident almost identical to Phaedrus's Dad's. No nail gun, no power tools, no cutting or grinding. Just driving an ordinary nail with an ordinary hammer. Nobody thinks it will happen to him (or her).

Look for safety glasses with the ANSI Z87+ rating. The "+" is important, as it shows the glasses are rated to protect against impact, and not just stuff getting into your eyes. As shooters, we need the impact rating!

Quote Originally Posted by palmcoaster View Post
    One of my local ranges requires eye protection, one does not. I wear either way
    I would not set foot in the place that does not require eye protection. Those people are too stupid to associate with.

Thanks to Phaedrus for the post - It's important stuff, and often overlooked.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links