Hoover Tactical Firearms, Birmingham, AL. Avoid at all costs

This is a discussion on Hoover Tactical Firearms, Birmingham, AL. Avoid at all costs within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have tried to hold my tongue about this place, but I am pretty incensed about what just happened there and I am typing this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Hoover Tactical Firearms, Birmingham, AL. Avoid at all costs

I have tried to hold my tongue about this place, but I am pretty incensed about what just happened there and I am typing this from the parking lot.

A week or so ago I took my glock 23 frame into the store and asked the idiot behind the counter for a new slide stop. He said "what is this" as if he was annoyed I asked him to help me and apparently doesn't recognize a compact glock frame. I said it was a glock 23. He hands me the part and I pay.

Get home, install it, and the slide doesn't lock back. Turns out, the idiot gave me a slide stop for a glock 36.

I live 40 miles away so today was my first chance to return it. The lady behind the counter is new, so she walks me to the "sales manager" and I explain my situation. While not friendly he at least said "no problem, we will refund his money". As we go back to the cash register they have to have some lady come up front (another "manager"). The second she walks up to the register, without looking at me, acknowledging me, or anything else's says "we don't return parts". I had to explain that the other guy said they would. Then she rudely says, "we need the credit card you used". I said "I paid by debit card, I'll just take the cash. She rudely quips back at me "that's not our policy". I let her know that was bull and begrudgingly gave her my card. I asked why they were quick to take my money, but so reluctant to give it back. The butch haired lady just had a stupefied look on her face.

I have had nothing but trouble with these folks. When I went to the range they have, they unloaded ALL my mags before they would let me shoot. Do you know how long it takes to reload a bunch of hi cap mags?

The air about the employees is either rude, clueless, or opinionated douchebag. They have no customer service, they are a gun shop but won't let you carry in their building. And are very LEO rules everyone else sucks types.

Avoid this place at all costs. They have prices higher than the average as well. No wonder they are bombing local radio with ads, they suck and have likely run off all the people who actually have a clue and buy guns, ammo, and accessories. Now they are marketing to the first timer and the poor souls who don't know any better.

I hope they fail. They will never see another dime from me. Just ordered my sights online (they stock them) and am headed to their competition to buy 100 rounds of ammo. Why is customer service so flicking hard to understand?
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Absolutely agree with you on all points Smolck. Hoover Tactical Firearms is a pathetic excuse for a gun store. I've went in before, stood at the counter patiently waiting my turn to speak with someone, then got passed over for a LEO that had just walked in the door. That was my last trip there, and I will not go back, ever. Previously I had also had less than encouraging experiences, though I will not waste the time to detail every one of them.

I think it was you I told before, maybe not, can't recall, but in the Birmingham area the best shop to deal with is Simmon's Sporting Goods in downtown Bessemer. Knowledgeable, courteous, well-stocked, and always a good experience. I have absolutely zero complaints and they will always get my business as long as things remain so. They appreciate the customers and always seem to go the extra mile to help. I've even gotten FREE stuff in there. Nothing expensive, but hey, it's the thought that counts. You don't even get a thought, unless it's a totally rude and abnoxious one, at Hoover Tactical.

And if you're ever down this way on a Saturday, and want to meet up with a fellow DC'er, I'll be glad to meet you there and hang out a bit. Just PM me and I'll give you my cell and you can give me a holler sometime - if you're interested that is. If not, no problem.
    BamaT likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I only have been there once, to go shooting with a friend, when they said that they had to unload our mags so then could make sure we had no steel ammo. I looked at my friend and we said no thank you and left.

I understand the no steel cased ammo, but they are the only place that had to have one of their employees unload mags.
    BamaT likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

policy not to refund for parts when you were given the wrong one in the first place? That is pure BS.

I am very picky about how I am treated at the gun stores I frequent. They either treat me like a customer that is putting food on their table, or I don't go back. I am familiar with the "LEO's Rule" type gun store.....which are ususally owned by a retired or wanna be retired LEO. They look down on the "civilians" as if we are not worthy of owning guns and are really not all that pro-2nd Amendment. I actually had the owner of a gun store back in Illinois tell me that he did not think civilians should own guns. I laughed and never went back. Avoid at all costs and let the other LEO's support the business without civilian dollars.
    BamaT, StormRhydr, ccw9mm and 3 others like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Wow. I'm glad they aren't up by me.

Interesting...

The one guy who told me great things about this palce was a LEO!
    pgrass101, BamaT and zonker1986 like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I never pay for anything with a debit card for reasons like this.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Unfortunately I think that all of us have been in this type of shop. We've got one here.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Did these guys move from a smaller location on the other side of Lorna Rd? I ask because the name sounds familiar. I purchased a S&W 686 from what I remember as Hoover Guns, on Lorna Rd. At that time they were a fairly nice bunch of people. That was nearly 20 years ago, so it may well not be the same company.

I am sorry to hear of the way you were treated, and I don't blame you in the least for not wanting to go back. I have been away from Birmingham for many years, we moved away in 2000, and many things have changed, it does not sound like for the better. I run into pretty much the same thing in Lawrenceville, GA. If you are not a regular, or a LEO, you are pretty much ignored.

I just looked up several of the shops I remember, in the B'ham area, and other than Traders (which I see got closed up for illegal gun-runninig), it looks like most of them are still there.

If he is still there, one of the best 1911 gunsmiths around used to be at Plaza Gun. He worked on several 1911s for me, in the past. He was looking for an apprentice back in the late 90s, so he may well be gone by now.

Smolck, you said you were 40 miles away from HTF; which way? I used to live in North Shelby County and hung out in Helena quite a bit. My favorite shop in Helena was Major Dundee's Wild West Emporium. I undertand it's gone now, but then what isn't?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I just wonder what is so hard about customer oriented? The internet is a powerful tool. I wouldn't want to anger a bunch of folks.
    BamaT likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

We have a local shop her as well that acts like that. Especially the LEO part. They have the LEO contracts from here to Rochester & don't need the individuals business. It's a shame, as mostly it just boils down to being a decent person. Something the world seems to be lacking these days.

I love it when someone tells me "It's not our policy"! I always tell them it's not my policy to give them anymore of my money and walk out.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I only have been there once, to go shooting with a friend, when they said that they had to unload our mags so then could make sure we had no steel ammo. I looked at my friend and we said no thank you and left.

I understand the no steel cased ammo, but they are the only place that had to have one of their employees unload mags.
    For the record, it's probably a good thing they didn't just trust you to do it yourself. When ranges are worried about steel ammo, they're talking about rounds with steel in the *bullet* not steel cased. Ammo with steel in the bullet has a tendency to penetrate or otherwise damage ranges that are not expressly built to handle them.

You may not have had steel ammo, but the fact that you're caught up on 'steel cased' tells me you would have been answering the wrong question if they had just asked and taken your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    For the record, it's probably a good thing they didn't just trust you to do it yourself. When ranges are worried about steel ammo, they're talking about rounds with steel in the *bullet* not steel cased. Ammo with steel in the bullet has a tendency to penetrate or otherwise damage ranges that are not expressly built to handle them.

You may not have had steel ammo, but the fact that you're caught up on 'steel cased' tells me you would have been answering the wrong question if they had just asked and taken your word for it.
    No, they mean no steel cased ammo. They don't want to separate it from the brass they resell. They also unloaded all my mags when I went. It is just a dumb policy. If you try and draw from a holster and fire, they tell you to stop and they don't allow it. If you pop off a double tap, they tell you to stop, if you fire from retention they tell you stop. What's the point then?

When I go to my usual range, I walk in with my carry gun in its holster, loaded. I then pay, get my targets, and proceed to the lanes and begin shooting. That is how it should be.
    NONAME762 and BamaT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I have tried to hold my tongue about this place, but I am pretty incensed about what just happened there and I am typing this from the parking lot.

A week or so ago I took my glock 23 frame into the store and asked the idiot behind the counter for a new slide stop. He said "what is this" as if he was annoyed I asked him to help me and apparently doesn't recognize a compact glock frame. I said it was a glock 23. He hands me the part and I pay.

Get home, install it, and the slide doesn't lock back. Turns out, the idiot gave me a slide stop for a glock 36.

I live 40 miles away so today was my first chance to return it. The lady behind the counter is new, so she walks me to the "sales manager" and I explain my situation. While not friendly he at least said "no problem, we will refund his money". As we go back to the cash register they have to have some lady come up front (another "manager"). The second she walks up to the register, without looking at me, acknowledging me, or anything else's says "we don't return parts". I had to explain that the other guy said they would. Then she rudely says, "we need the credit card you used". I said "I paid by debit card, I'll just take the cash. She rudely quips back at me "that's not our policy". I let her know that was bull and begrudgingly gave her my card. I asked why they were quick to take my money, but so reluctant to give it back. The butch haired lady just had a stupefied look on her face.

I have had nothing but trouble with these folks. When I went to the range they have, they unloaded ALL my mags before they would let me shoot. Do you know how long it takes to reload a bunch of hi cap mags?

The air about the employees is either rude, clueless, or opinionated douchebag. They have no customer service, they are a gun shop but won't let you carry in their building. And are very LEO rules everyone else sucks types.

Avoid this place at all costs. They have prices higher than the average as well. No wonder they are bombing local radio with ads, they suck and have likely run off all the people who actually have a clue and buy guns, ammo, and accessories. Now they are marketing to the first timer and the poor souls who don't know any better.

I hope they fail. They will never see another dime from me. Just ordered my sights online (they stock them) and am headed to their competition to buy 100 rounds of ammo. Why is customer service so flicking hard to understand?
    OK so tell us how you really feel...lol.
    ugh762x39 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links