Remington 700 Recall

Remington 700 Recall

This is a discussion on Remington 700 Recall within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just read about it in the American Rifleman. Seems like there is a possibility the trigger can pull itself. Mine is one of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Remington 700 Recall

VIP Member

Remington 700 Recall

I just read about it in the American Rifleman. Seems like there is a possibility the trigger can pull itself. Mine is one of the affected guns.
    Remington Recall
    StormRhydr and Tinman517 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Mike, "linky no worky."

My shooting buddy back east has a 700 set up for serious long-distance shooting, and his gun is in the recall zone. He's just going to move to a Timney or other aftermarket trigger.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Mike, "linky no worky."

My shooting buddy back east has a 700 set up for serious long-distance shooting, and his gun is in the recall zone. He's just going to move to a Timney or other aftermarket trigger.
    Sorry, I fixed the link.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I sold off all my model 700s, but one. The one my father bought in the late 60s. I have kept it for sentimental reasons.

I dont think I can afford to keep it any longer. I think that the 700s have an inherent design flaw that makes them potentially unsafe. Thats the reason I sold off my other 700s.

Thinking as I do about those weapons, I dont want that last gun around. If my son or I were to use it, and it discharge improperly one of us, or others could end up dead.

I could pass it down to my son, but at some point in time, the reason why it was not to be used is going to be forgotten. Perhaps one day an unborn grandchild would pick it up to go shootin' great grandpas gun.

So...its going to go.

Administrator
    Seems like there is a possibility the trigger can pull itself.

I can imagine that could possibly be a problem that would need to get fixed.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Seems like there is a possibility the trigger can pull itself.

I can imagine that could possibly be a problem that would need to get fixed.
    I'm thinking the same thing, and am a bit disappointed given what I have invested in the rifle.
    QKShooter likes this.
    William T. Sherman

Why not remove the firing pin and put that old 700 behind glass? Sure, it won't function as a gun anymore, but you still get to display a family heirloom.

That's a shame. Recall on the ones from '62 to '82 due to discharging when taking off safety and now 2006 to 2014 with the XMark trigger. FTR, it also affects the Model 7 - I'd check any gun with the XMark trigger.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Well, Remington checked in my Model 700 ADL Stainless four weeks ago, and they have not even touched it yet!!! I have called them each week to see what the _ _ _ _ is going on, but to no avail so far. I wish now I had bought the Mossberg MVP instead...at least it would be in my gun safe, and not sitting at Remington waiting for those clowns to get off their butts! Not a happy camper over this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Sponsor
    I'd bet they have a couple thousand rifles to go over every week for a while. Have a little patience.

A Timney 510 is a cheap upgrade that eliminates this problem. The X-Mark is a lousy trigger anyway. I did'nt realize how bad it was until I replaced it with the Timney.
    OldVet and gasmitty like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Shoot. My .223 VTR is affected.
    And is that seriously the whole list of people they will let work on it? There's not even one in my state. I doubt they will send me the trigger group to do it myself.
    What to do what to do...

Thanks for the info, Mike.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I'd bet they have a couple thousand rifles to go over every week for a while. Have a little patience.

A Timney 510 is a cheap upgrade that eliminates this problem. The X-Mark is a lousy trigger anyway. I did'nt realize how bad it was until I replaced it with the Timney.
    I filled out the recall form, and they are sending me shipping supplies, but I'm not crazy about the wait time reported here. Please tell me more about your Timney.
    William T. Sherman

Sponsor
    Remington 700 Replacement Trigger

Takes about 20 minutes to install. It may require a bit of relief for the safety lever area depending on your stock. I have the Bell & Carlson Medalist 2 and needed to Dremel out a very small amount of material for the bottom of the safety to be clear. Very good instruction videos are all over the place on youtube and the instructions that come with the trigger are pretty good.

I think the price has gone up a little since I bought mine but I could be remembering wrong.

This trigger is much more consistent than the X-Mark and as crisp as can be. I set mine at 3 pounds but I may take it down to 1-1/2 since this a bench rest gun only.

The Jewell triggers may be better, they can be adjusted to a much lighter pull at any rate, but they are significantly more money.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod27104.aspx
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Remington 700 Replacement Trigger

Takes about 20 minutes to install. It may require a bit of relief for the safety lever area depending on your stock. I have the Bell & Carlson Medalist 2 and needed to Dremel out a very small amount of material for the bottom of the safety to be clear. Very good instruction videos are all over the place on youtube and the instructions that come with the trigger are pretty good.

I think the price has gone up a little since I bought mine but I could be remembering wrong.

This trigger is much more consistent than the X-Mark and as crisp as can be. I set mine at 3 pounds but I may take it down to 1-1/2 since this a bench rest gun only.

The Jewell triggers may be better, they can be adjusted to a much lighter pull at any rate, but they are significantly more money.

REMINGTON 700/40X & WIN M70 RIFLE TRIGGERS | Brownells
    Thanks for the info. I have a Bell and Carlson on mine, as well. This seems like a more desirable alternative than a months-long wait for a trigger I was never crazy about in the first place.
    JDE101 likes this.
    William T. Sherman

Everybody must be installing their own. Brownells is out of every style of Timney's they sell, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links