If you owned the company, what would you design?

This is a discussion on If you owned the company, what would you design? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you were Mr. Colt, or Mr. Beretta, or Mr. Glock, etc What features would you design into your dream gun? Would it be a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: If you owned the company, what would you design?

Distinguished Member

If you were Mr. Colt, or Mr. Beretta, or Mr. Glock, etc What features would you design into your dream gun?

Would it be a 45? or a 9?
    SA or DA or both,
    So slim it would be the most powerful and most concealable?
    10 round revolver? or 19 round Semi?
    Chrome, Stainless, Blued?
    The list goes on and on, but you get the point.

What does your dream gun look like?
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

VIP Member
    It would be a Glock 17-length slide with a Glock 19 grip length and a 1911 grip angle with a DeltaPoint or Trijicon RMR installed on a milled slide. Bowie Tactical is doing the grip correction on mine right now.
    Navydude likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It would be a Glock 17-length slide with a Glock 19 grip length and a 1911 grip angle with a DeltaPoint or Trijicon RMR installed on a milled slide. Bowie Tactical is doing the grip correction on mine right now.
    Oh man, way, way cool. Can I have one?

So, if you owned the company (or ran, in the case of a public company), your focus would likely be on products that were popular and profitable because your job is to increase company value / shareholder equity. That's why there are so many "me too" products. If it's popular and you can do it a little different, a little better, or a little cheaper then the risk is reduced and potential for profitability increased.

I'm sure that those companies create prototypes for many dream guns, but most won't see the light of day because of their market segment and the cost of development (e.g., Would you buy a $3,000 Glock?) That's why smaller specialty companies (like Barrett) start. They can innovate and specialize, and prices can be much higher because they are specialty products.

The exception are products originally developed for non-commercial use that have high development costs, but once developed can also be sold commercially. The IWI Tavor is a good example of this. But, it was designed to meet a specific need and was not necessarily someone's dream rifle.

I assume we are talking about guns so.....
    Since the 1911 already exists, I'm good with how things are.
    svgheartland and bmcgilvray like this.
    Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navydude View Post
    Oh man, way, way cool. Can I have one?
    Yes, you can, but you have to talk to Dave:
    Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

If Ruger would get rid of it's manual safety and that magazine disconnect safety (SR series) I would say that would be the perfect gun.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

VIP Member
    A Tactical Toilet.
    -All black
    -Strong side OTB ("Outside the Bowl") holster for securing your gun while you do your business;
    -Weak side mag carriers and speed loader pouches;
    - Gold logo "Colt" across the top.

Then we could have a final, unassailable answer to the restroom thread.
    LuvMyPX4, RickyD and rammerjammer like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    1.00 cal (25.4 x 198mm) semi-auto that is mobile, recoil absorbing, can be fired standing, with auto-correcting scope that factors in distance, windage, earth rotation, etc.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    1000px-Zatud1_-_noback.JPG It's the Zat'nik'tel from Stargate SG-1. No recoil and the second shot kills. And if it was in the wrong the third shot disintegrates them.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

If I owned Smith & Wesson, nobody would buy the products for I'd scrap everything except for the Model 41 and the no-lock J-Frames and revamp the catalog.

The revolvers would again appear as they did in the 1950s-1970s catalogs.

An all-steel Shield with a single-action trigger and dark checkered walnut grip panels would lead off the concealed carry line of automatics. The larger automatics would be centered around the steel variant of the Model 39 along with the Models 645, 4006, and 1006.
    PEF, oneshot, 1 old 0311 and 1 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

RKM
    A single stack, 10+1 .45ACP Glock, 7.7" long, 5.2" tall (exactly in between the G17 and G19 frame size). Same width as the G17/19 frames. RTF2 grip texture. It would be my absolute, ideal pistol.

VIP Member
    It's already been invented.

Handguns for the anti-gun crowd.
    See picture below.

On a more serious note, I would invent a machine to change everyone's misconceptions and false beliefs about firearms.
    Attached Images
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    If I owned Smith & Wesson, nobody would buy the products for I'd scrap everything except for the Model 41 and the no-lock J-Frames and revamp the catalog.

The revolvers would again appear as they did in the 1950s-1970s catalogs.

An all-steel Shield with a single-action trigger and dark checkered walnut grip panels would lead off the concealed carry line of automatics. The larger automatics would be centered around the steel variant of the Model 39 along with the Models 645, 4006, and 1006.
    Someone has had all his synapses firing today, hasn't he?

Well thought, and I would agree.
    I have a model 39-2 that has been through many hands before me, and it will be hard to give to my nephew on his wedding day this August.
    He asked for it last year and asked if I'd will it to him, and told me he loves that pistol, as it was the first handgun he ever shot, and it hooked him.
    I am giving it to him early, so he has many more years to enjoy it.
    I have enough to get me through, I guess.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    So, if you owned the company (or ran, in the case of a public company), your focus would likely be on products that were popular and profitable because your job is to increase company value / shareholder equity. That's why there are so many "me too" products. If it's popular and you can do it a little different, a little better, or a little cheaper then the risk is reduced and potential for profitability increased.

I'm sure that those companies create prototypes for many dream guns, but most won't see the light of day because of their market segment and the cost of development (e.g., Would you buy a $3,000 Glock?) That's why smaller specialty companies (like Barrett) start. They can innovate and specialize, and prices can be much higher because they are specialty products.

The exception are products originally developed for non-commercial use that have high development costs, but once developed can also be sold commercially. The IWI Tavor is a good example of this. But, it was designed to meet a specific need and was not necessarily someone's dream rifle.
    Wildey Moore is another good example... he's the entrepreneur who created the Wildey Magnum series of powerful automatics. I'm not sure if he started out of drive and desire, or to meet a need, but he did say he produced a number of limited-run guns for some government agencies. I think he had fun along the way, but did not add substantially to his wealth as a result of his firearms business.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links