Wouldn't give a plugged nickel for a S&W revolver

This is a discussion on Wouldn't give a plugged nickel for a S&W revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; .....I'd give an arm and a leg. Now, I don't want to ruffle feathers, but if you are a younger shooter on the black tactical ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Wouldn't give a plugged nickel for a S&W revolver

Wouldn't give a plugged nickel for a S&W revolver

.....I'd give an arm and a leg.
    Now, I don't want to ruffle feathers, but if you are a younger shooter on the black tactical plastical guns, you don't know what you are missing.

Took my M65 out today. As some of you know I had it sent in for work because of too many hot loads and abuse. Well I took it out today and was just as impressed as the day I bought it.
    Here it is, in need of cleaning.
    image.jpg
    Targets at 25 yards and 10 yards, all double action. Combined 38 spl and 357 magnum loads.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    It's nice having a gun that shoots so well, and can do so many things from target work, SD, and hunting bigfoot.
    Hell, I almost traded my Glock 27 for a LNIB M36 with nickel finish. And this was an old gun, not the new reproductions.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

She's a beaut.

Nice shootin too, GMan.

Plastic fantastics certainly have their place, but it just doesn't get any better than a cold steel revo.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

VIP Member
    Nice "hook" in the title, Gman. Got me good!

In my humble opinion, the K-frame is the most aesthetically pleasing revolver. While the L frames have the beef and do indeed look nice, they can't hold a candle to the K's.

Let's see how long it takes you to shoot this one loose!
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    .....I'd give an arm and a leg.
    Now, I don't want to ruffle feathers, but if you are a younger shooter on the black tactical plastical guns, you don't know what you are missing.

Took my M65 out today. As some of you know I had it sent in for work because of too many hot loads and abuse. Well I took it out today and was just as impressed as the day I bought it.

Here it is, in need of cleaning.
    image.jpg
    Targets at 25 yards and 10 yards, all double action. Combined 38 spl and 357 magnum loads.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    It's nice having a gun that shoots so well, and can do so many things from target work, SD, and hunting bigfoot.
    Hell, I almost traded my Glock 27 for a LNIB M36 with nickel finish. And this was an old gun, not the new reproductions.
    You really had me there for a minute man...lol
    glockman10mm and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Nice "hook" in the title, Gman. Got me good!

In my humble opinion, the K-frame is the most aesthetically pleasing revolver. While the L frames have the beef and do indeed look nice, they can't hold a candle to the K's.

Let's see how long it takes you to shoot this one loose!
    I'm going g to throttle down the loads some. If I need them, I already have the load in my data book. I think that my 38spl loads that step in to magnum country should do just fine with the hardcast Keith bullets.
    I'll keep'em at about 1100fps.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have two S&W Revolvers, a model 19 Combat .357 Magnum and a model 63 nickel plated .22. Love them both.
    gatorbait51 and scgunlover1 like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You missed the X ring twice at 10 yards? Man, time to retire...
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That's the kind of post that just warms my heart and makes me feel all is right in the world. Just HOW OLD is that gun? And after a trip back to Springfield it shoots that well... that's just beyond cool.

And newcomers and non-S&W fans note, this is a fixed-sight gun. Standard front blade, but the rear sight is effectively a groove in the top strap. No Bo-Mar, no Eliason, Heinie or Novak here. Not even a lot of contrast, with stainless-on-stainless.

As Hannibal Smith used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together." In this case, the plan is a solid gun, good ammo, and a skilled shooter to run 'em.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Nothing like a K frame.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Very nice and good shooting.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Buy all the semi-autos you want. Get a Glock, whatevs.

But always, no matter what, get a S&W revolver for your lineup. They are not cheap and you'll spend some more money setting the gun up the way you want, but these are the Ferraris of the gun world. When the chips are down, I want my Smith at my side.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I agree that those plastic guns are not the quality made guns such as S&W builds. Many of my S&W have seen thousands of rounds come out of the barrels.

Yet the younger generation has been exposed to the plastics like Glock and no nothing about quality, fit & finish of a gunsmith built gun.

However I do have a question for those in the thread. I have heard many mention a plugged nickel. Never saw one and if I did, I did not know what one would be. Can someone show me a plugged nickel or tell me what to look for in order to find one.
    gatorbait51 and BamaT like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

You guys will be the death of me. I am currently on the hunt for a 65 or 19 for the exact reasons you posted. They are becoming more rare and figure eventually they will be like pythons, so overpriced they will never trade hands. Nice to see that old gun. How old is she Glockman?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I think the term is for a nickel that someone, thru some means, punched a hole in. Since they only worth 5 cents, and rendered worthless, I think the old timers " coined" the phrase back in the day when 5 cents could actually buy something, to show their lack of desire for comparison.

I have seen old nickels with holes drilled in them for what I suppose is to wear on a necklace or something.
    I have seen my grandfather toss a few in the air for shooting with his 22 rifle and get " plugged".
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    You guys will be the death of me. I am currently on the hunt for a 65 or 19 for the exact reasons you posted. They are becoming more rare and figure eventually they will be like pythons, so overpriced they will never trade hands. Nice to see that old gun. How old is she Glockman?
    Let's see, best I can remember, I had it before 1986 when I joined the service, and carried it often on duty back in the 90's when we were still carrying revolvers.
    BigJon10125 and gatorbait51 like this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links