help! won't cock back all the way after putting back together!!

This is a discussion on help! won't cock back all the way after putting back together!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I have a m&p 9 shield, just got it not to long ago, I took it apart for the first time to clean it, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: help! won't cock back all the way after putting back together!!

Ok, I have a m&p 9 shield, just got it not to long ago, I took it apart for the first time to clean it, and now that I put it back together it won't cock back to lock the chamber open, what do I do, I can't get it back apart to fix it!!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Local gun smith?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Make sure mag is out unloaded look to see if the little yellow lever inside is in the right place should be all the way up than try
    Oldpsufan and gatorbait51 like this.

That's your pistol telling you to grow a pair and drink your whiskey/scotch/tequila/vodka straight, no orange juice or water or whatever!!!
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    Here's a you tube videos on how to assymble and disassymble the shield. Hope it helps.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    gatorbait51, Tinman517 and Aceoky like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I would find a local gunsmith or send it back to S&W. Then find someone that can teach you about firearms hands-on.
    CLASS3NH and gatorbait51 like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    Slide lock lever may be sticking a bit(not activating) as the pistol is new, and perhaps there is a burr preventing it from doing so.
    Follow all advice here, watch the youtube, heed remarks in post #3, and if all else fails, run it by the gun shop where purchased and see if they can remedy it, and if not, have them send it back.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Great advice! And OP, when you do get it fixed, let us know what the problem was.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I trust that you figure it out in short time; good luck.
    gatorbait51 and CLASS3NH like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blk579 View Post
    Ok, I have a m&p 9 shield, just got it not to long ago, I took it apart for the first time to clean it, and now that I put it back together it won't cock back to lock the chamber open, what do I do, I can't get it back apart to fix it!!

All good advice. Try the video first, and you should pick it up. You have a great gun, you'll master it in no time.
    CLASS3NH and Aceoky like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

I have the Shield 9 and had the same problem the first time as many other have. The spring is pretty strong and is hard to rack when new but the trick is you have to get the spring in straight, and that last little bit to get it to where you can push the lock up IS tough. I actually thought I broke something, After a few hundred rounds through it things got easier. Go to the S&W forums for info on this subject.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Probably your guide rod assemble is not on the right notch. Take it apart and try it again.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    First welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about your particular pistol so my only suggestion would be to take it to a competent gunsmith in your area. They should be able to find out what is wrong as well as give you some pointers for when you take it apart the next time. Also don't be afraid of anyone's ribbing, they are just trying to get you to laugh a little. Some people with a new gun get a bit flustered and then get put off when the gun doesn't work the way it should. Many years ago my parents gave me a S&W model 59 9mm pistol. The pistol did not come with instructions on disassembly. I took it back to the gun shop I knew my parents had bought it from and the owner/gunsmith showed me how to do it in no time. While there he also had me reassemble it so he know that I knew how to do it. With this being your first post don't be afraid to come here and ask questions. There are people here who know far more than I do and are more than willing to share that knowledge. Again welcome.
    gatorbait51, CLASS3NH and oneshot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blk579 View Post
    What Easy8 said, make sure the doohickey with the yellow tip is in the up position (disassembly requires it to be in the down position). Actually happened to me a couple days ago cleaning my daughters.

Make sure your Shield is clear. Pull the slide back as far as you can does not take much to reset the sear pull the trigger push the take down lever down and the slide should come right off. If the take down lever will not come down after pulling the trigger pull it back and push the take down lever down before you pull the trigger. Did you do just a normal take down or did you knock out the roll pins? There are some good videos on you tube to help you figure it out. If you didn't do a complete tear down it should be something simple. Check out the You Tube videos and see if there is one that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links