Thread protectors keep loosening up

This is a discussion on Thread protectors keep loosening up within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While waiting on tax stamps for some suppressors, I bought some threaded barrels for my Beretta 92a1 and my S&W M&P 45. When I was ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By airslot

Thread: Thread protectors keep loosening up

While waiting on tax stamps for some suppressors, I bought some threaded barrels for my Beretta 92a1 and my S&W M&P 45. When I was at the range this weekend, they kept loosing up. Is there something that I can do to prevent this? Would putting something like lithium grease on the threads work? Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Teflon tape, clear fingernail polish, etc.

Grease will NOT help. You need to INCREASE friction!
    This sounds crazy, but use a small punch and "ding" a thread or two in the thread protector.
    Alternate, try using a tiny amount of high temp silicone from the auto parts store.

Quote Originally Posted by Axxium View Post
    While waiting on tax stamps for some suppressors, I bought some threaded barrels for my Beretta 92a1 and my S&W M&P 45. When I was at the range this weekend, they kept loosing up. Is there something that I can do to prevent this? Would putting something like lithium grease on the threads work? Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be great.

Thanks
    I dont know about thread protectors, but they seem like they would work like change a chokes in shotguns. And for those, they do make grease lubes that both help keep them in place, and keep them from rusting in place.

VIP Member
    Both suggestions are good and I will suggest a tiny (very tiny) drop of BLUE Locktite, under no circumstances use the RED Locktite as the only way to loosen it is to use heat.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to try these suggestions.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Both suggestions are good and I will suggest a tiny (very tiny) drop of BLUE Locktite, under no circumstances use the RED Locktite as the only way to loosen it is to use heat.
    Loctite 222 is the low strength screw lock. Removable without an argument.
    ccw9mm and msgt/ret like this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Senior Moderator
    Blue Locktite is the way to go.

Easy to put on and it stays on until you are ready to remove it. You can buy a small tube of it at any auto parts store and some guns shops.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Buy some viton o-rings.

1mm thick x whatever yours is threaded for.

Search Amazon for 14mm x 1mm viton o-rings for the 45. You might need slightly smaller for the 92.

I had the exact same issue with my Sig Scorpion. Viton oring fixed it. Its removable, nothing to clean up, and doesnt mess the threads up.

On the suppressor side, I've been reading that dielectric grease helps keep the can from seizing on the threads. I would imagine it would increase friction enough to hold the thread protector on as well. It's a form of high temp grease used to seal electronic connections. I'll be picking some up when my can gets here.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sponsored Links