There is a difference between a Patriot and a "Patriopath"

This is a discussion on There is a difference between a Patriot and a "Patriopath" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With express permission from the original author to post it up anywhere I like [ from another forum ] __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________ There is a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: There is a difference between a Patriot and a "Patriopath"

Sponsor

With express permission from the original author to post it up anywhere I like [ from another forum ]
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

There is a difference between a Patriot and a "Patriopath".

A Patriot serves his Country and his Community, whether through service or support at the ballot box.

A Patriopath serves himself to feed his sense of self righteous indignation over the actions of those who actually serve but don't conform to the Patriopaths twisted view of Citizenship and it's inherent responsibilities. They tend to complain without contributing and criticize without constructive solutions. They tend to copy the words of great Patriots but act in a way that would appall and shame them.

Thoughts?
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

A little slow a FCC Mr. Brown ; )
    H/D
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    With express permission from the original author to post it up anywhere I like [ from another forum ]
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

There is a difference between a Patriot and a "Patriopath".

A Patriot serves his Country and his Community, whether through service or support at the ballot box.

A Patriopath serves himself to feed his sense of self righteous indignation over the actions of those who actually serve but don't conform to the Patriopaths twisted view of Citizenship and it's inherent responsibilities. They tend to complain without contributing and criticize without constructive solutions. They tend to copy the words of great Patriots but act in a way that would appall and shame them.

Thoughts?
    Thoughts? Well stated by your the original author and spot on.
    gatorbait51 and glockman10mm like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    zealotry and extremism are dangerous regardless their source. Religion, environmentalism, patriiotism, racism, it hardly matters... or at least the final effect is the same regardless of the vehicle used to justify it.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Please remember the following in November.
    There are people in BOTH major political parties which seek to exert more control over all.
    They have no problem using an event or popular idea to mobilize support.
    They are more concerned with promoting themselves than representing those who elected them.
    You may favor one party over the other, but be certain of the motives of the people you vote for.

Our elected representatives need to remember they were elected to serve those who elected them.
    Not the other way around.

True story. Once upon a time, before we went into Iraq, a hannity fan told me I wasn't "A GREAT AMERICAN" because I didn't support it. When I pointed out I spent 4 in the CORPS and he has never done anything for the country, he went berserk and screamed I was a terrorist lover. Is that a patriopath?

Quote Originally Posted by Powpig2002 View Post
    True story. Once upon a time, before we went into Iraq, a hannity fan told me I wasn't "A GREAT AMERICAN" because I didn't support it. When I pointed out I spent 4 in the CORPS and he has never done anything for the country, he went berserk and screamed I was a terrorist lover. Is that a patriopath?
    He may well have been especially if he only voiced support for going to war and then did not follow through by supporting the troops who were over there and pushing the government to give them whatever they needed to be successful. That said I have known soldiers that I would hesitate to call patriots and have known civilians who seem very patriotic in my opinion. As a person who has served and who has contributed to Hannity's fundraisers for service men's families I consider Hannity a patriot and he has never served in the military. I would consider someone who did not support going to war and then refused to support the troops who were ordered to go there a patriopath per the author's definition as I interpret it. Not because they did not support going to war but because they refused to support the troops who were only doing their duty. I think patriotism means different things to different people and to me it means supporting our troops and doing whatever we can to bring them home safely despite our feelings on whether they should be there.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt

{NRA Benefactor Member and proud supporter of the 2nd Amendment}

I served in peace time,I support the constitution as written and get incensed when it is infringed on WTH is a First Amendment "ZONE"I support patriots that are trying to circumvent these attacks in a peaceful manner and at the ballot box.But if it came down to it I would answer the call to arms to protect my country from all enemies foreign or domestic
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by BMcPhe44 View Post
    He may well have been especially if he only voiced support for going to war and then did not follow through by supporting the troops who were over there and pushing the government to give them whatever they needed to be successful. That said I have known soldiers that I would hesitate to call patriots and have known civilians who seem very patriotic in my opinion. As a person who has served and who has contributed to Hannity's fundraisers for service men's families I consider Hannity a patriot and he has never served in the military. I would consider someone who did not support going to war and then refused to support the troops who were ordered to go there a patriopath per the author's definition as I interpret it. Not because they did not support going to war but because they refused to support the troops who were only doing their duty. I think patriotism means different things to different people and to me it means supporting our troops and doing whatever we can to bring them home safely despite our feelings on whether they should be there.
    Sir, if you are implying that I don't support our troops, YOU ARE GROSSLY MISTAKEN

I think your definitions describe the same type of individual - only one defers to the government-in-charge and one doesn't. Both have been absorbed into different collectives and are suspicious of the other.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Excellent post, Brownie, and a very accurate observation.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    A "Patriot" cares what happens in his country after his own demise. A "Patriopath" cares about "NOW" and carries his own spotlight, to shine on himself.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by Powpig2002 View Post
    Sir, if you are implying that I don't support our troops, YOU ARE GROSSLY MISTAKEN
    You are grossly over reading my post if you thought it referred to you. I was commenting on whether the person you referred to was a patriopath per the Op description. Whether a person supports or does not support going to war is not of relevance to me but supporting the troops is definitely relevant to being a patriot in my opinion. The military does not start the wars but they should be allowed to finish them while following orders and defending themselves.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt

{NRA Benefactor Member and proud supporter of the 2nd Amendment}

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    never even heard of a patriopath until now.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

The OP says it so perfectly I have nothing further to add!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links