Thompson TM1

Thompson TM1

This is a discussion on Thompson TM1 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All of my World War II tours over the past week have increased my love of historical military weapons beyond the usual level, and as ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tubadude

Thread: Thompson TM1

Thompson TM1

All of my World War II tours over the past week have increased my love of historical military weapons beyond the usual level, and as such, I'm eyeing up the Auto Ordnance Thompson reproductions.

I understand there was a QC issue a few years ago, but can anyone comment on the current products?

My plan is to get the TM1 version and hopefully SBR it within the year...assuming they're good to go.

Just curious - why would you SBR an expensive replica weapon? The Thompson is many things, but "light" isn't one of 'em, at 13 pounds. Putting a short barrel on a heavy gun isn't going to make it any handier. Unless your goal is to create a nearly-unique Thompson, I'd just go with the short-barreled, aluminum-frame models at less than half the weight.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Would love to have an original. The military version is pretty awesome. Cant comment on current production.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Just curious - why would you SBR an expensive replica weapon? The Thompson is many things, but "light" isn't one of 'em, at 13 pounds. Putting a short barrel on a heavy gun isn't going to make it any handier. Unless your goal is to create a nearly-unique Thompson, I'd just go with the short-barreled, aluminum-frame models at less than half the weight.
    I'm not buying the SBR outright because it is apparently cheaper in the long run, my LGS can get a regular one in no problem, and I can also have and enjoy the gun while the paperwork is being processed. I'm also not buying the aluminum one because...well, I just don't want it. I like the heft of the real ones I've gotten to experience.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Links