Cost of tax stamps going up?

This is a discussion on Cost of tax stamps going up? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A dealer in class 3 stuff told me that apparently the ATF is thinking about raising tax stamps,Something like AOW from $5 to $100 and ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By chiefjason

Thread: Cost of tax stamps going up?

A dealer in class 3 stuff told me that apparently the ATF is thinking about raising tax stamps,Something like AOW from $5 to $100 and class 3 from $200 to $500.If thats true adding another $300 on top of the price of a suppressor would really suck.He doesn't sell that many suppressors down here at current prices.
    Any other dealers heard about this
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Not the ATF's decision, it's up to Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Not the ATF's decision, it's up to Congress.
    Yup. Looks like it's written directly into the U.S. Code:

Title 26, Internal Revenue Code

5811. Transfer tax

(a) Rate. -- There shall be levied, collected, and paid on firearms transferred a tax at the rate of $200 for each firearm transferred, except, the transfer tax on any firearm classified as any other weapon under section 5845(e) shall be at the rate of $5 for each such firearm transferred.

(b) By whom paid. -- The tax imposed by subsection (a) of this section shall be paid by the transferor.

(c) Payment. -- The tax imposed by subsection (a) of this section shall be payable by the appropriate stamps prescribed for payment by the Secretary.

(Added Pub.L. 90-618, Title II, 201, Oct. 22, 1968, 82 Stat. 1228, and amended Pub.L. 94-455, Title XIX, 1906(b)(13)(A), Oct. 4, 1976, 90 Stat. 1834.)
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The act is full of weirdness and is definitely out of date to accomplish what it intended to do. That is, $200 today is less than the cost of any "Class-III" item (adjusted for inflation, it would be about $3500 which would be a major cost).

Suppressors are the one area that have really taken off as more and more jurisdictions allow their use for hunting and hunters tend to like their hearing. I wouldn't be surprised if a bill comes around to remove them from the NFA registration but the cost of removing it may come with strings.

All that being said, i don't know if the ATF could add a "processing fee" or some other such add-on cost which would have the effect of raising the cost to the end consumer. Much like a speeding ticket penalty is only about half the cost paid.

Ex Member
    Their site has been down for over a week so maybe they are updating it to the $500 rate. My FFL was going to use my Gun Trust and credit card to start the process but no go. I had him send in paper copies and my check.

E file is down because it could not keep up with demand for form 4's. They are sporadically taking other forms electronically now. But form 4's will be the last to come back when the new system comes online.

Current form 4 wait time is all over the place. My dealer just got back 4 stamps for one customer that were filed over a 3 month window with the newest being mid march. Hoping to get mine in June or July. ATF has actually brought in more folks to process them so both efile and paper file are speeding up.

Short answer Govco system could not keep up so they need a new one. If they want more money it will take an act of congress. Literally.
    Aceoky and WrongRecroom like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    E file is down because it could not keep up with demand for form 4's. They are sporadically taking other forms electronically now. But form 4's will be the last to come back when the new system comes online.
    If true, then it's yet another example of the strong reason for disallowing permissions schemes of a civil right in which the governing few have specifically been disallowed from making any such hurdles.

Infringed, by any other name is still an inability to become armed, remain armed. For many, it's an absolute hurdle that cannot be surmounted. And for those folks, it's hard to call any such thing being armed or carrying, no matter what the anti's call it, no matter what the anti's use as so-called justification for such infringement.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If true, then it's yet another example of the strong reason for disallowing permissions schemes of a civil right in which the governing few have specifically been disallowed from making any such hurdles.

Infringed, by any other name is still an inability to become armed, remain armed. For many, it's an absolute hurdle that cannot be surmounted. And for those folks, it's hard to call any such thing being armed or carrying, no matter what the anti's call it, no matter what the anti's use as so-called justification for such infringement.

No if. It's true. Add the increase in interest in suppressors for hunting and one of the larger seller batch filing paperwork at one time and the system was shutting down. It could not handle the sudden influxes it was getting and it took up to several days to clear out the system and get it back up running. When I bought my can my dealer warned me he had been trying to file form 4's for 3 days with no success. I got lucky and mine processed the same day I paid, along with some of the ones he was waiting to file.

While I agree with your sentiment, you can still paper file. Efile was easier though. Efile was running 4-5 months and paper was 12 months, no solid idea what the times are now. ATF is batch processing so one customer might get multiple stamps at once while others in the same time frame as those stamps wait. Doing it as a batch is a good idea though, you only deal with the trust once and clear out all the stamps at one time.

No reason to re invent the wheel, if you want to read up on it check out this post. The OP is my dealer and there are a couple other dealers chiming in too.

Atf eforms system changes may be coming.

And another one.

Wait on eForms or send in paper copies?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links