Tempted by new PTR 308 .. What do you think ?

This is a discussion on Tempted by new PTR 308 .. What do you think ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been thinking about a 308 rifle for a while now ... Mainly a ptr 308 as well a H&k is a little much ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Tempted by new PTR 308 .. What do you think ?

I have been thinking about a 308 rifle for a while now ... Mainly a ptr 308 as well a H&k is a little much ...

Well I have been waiting for a entry one for 800-900 or so ... Then I spy this PTR-91 South Carolina Commemorative Rifle, Limited Edition, 308, 18" - Impact Guns .. I normal dont like chromed looking guns or commemorative guns .. But considering the stand the company took to not bend over for the the CT gov and how semi tasteful it is done I am thinking about getting it ... Plus it is so shinny

What do you think too shinny and pimptastic or should I go for it ? I have a bunch of g3 mags ( dont ask ..) so that is not the issue ( well I will need to find ammo )

I cant seem to find any photos to show it off right .. But I am thinking maybe some nice wood on there look nice ...

I mean I wont be hunting or anything with it
    patri0t, bmcgilvray and DingBat like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I'm gonna be fundamentally in favor of full-powered .30 caliber anything so it looks good to me. The H&K clone design wouldn't be my very favorite choice but I certainly wouldn't be adverse to owning one. My single big experience with the design was with the Century Arms CETMEs that a relative and a friend of ours got into some 6-8 years ago so that may not be valid judgement.

The rifle's maker is way off base if they think that nickel treatment looks like a "throwback" to any 19th century nickel plating work or like any 18th century bright metal (which is what Revolutionary War arms actually featured rather than nickel) for it resembles neither. Despite this, I think it looks sharp with that finish it's sporting, and I'd own it. Might not be as practical as flat black "tacti-cool" but I'm not a tacti-cool kinda guy so the finish on the rifle appeals to me as a stand-out in a crowd. I'm "bored out of my gourd" with black rifles.
    OD*, CaptSmith and DingBat like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Not too flashy. You could always duracoat it if you get tired of looking at it. Not a bad price. I have the GI and it is a hell of a rifle.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

You do not want MY input..... my next acquisition will require a 3rd gun safe; which my wife states will be placed on my side of the bed.

My last buy was a heavy 9mm with 16 round mags for the wife (bad arthritis), so she can shoot some 115 gr (range grade) for practice and HD.
    That bought me space in the utility room (temp / humidity controlled), for 50 cases of ammo (not counting .22lr), though.

Personally, I like firearms without ANY wood or anything shiny or any engraving. I am a HUGE fan of SS, though.
    My ammo space is near full, so now I am spending my time upgrading the guns I have & shooting. That will keep me busy for the next 20 years or so.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member
    I'm on board with Bryan on 30 caliber anything and black gun exhaustion. I've played with the AR 10 notion for a long while and might just do it someday. But meanwhile, 30 beats 22 any day (without starting some kind of war).
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

MMMMM, I love the sound of a 308 in the morning.
    "Real men own 308s"
    "I don't always do rifles but when I do, it's a 308".

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    If you are just wanting a show and tell gun it is probably as good as anything. If you are wanting a good fighting gun there are plenty of other options that will serve you better IMO.

I bought one and love it. This is a numbered series with only 1000 being produced. I got number 186. Since I am a South Carolina resident and this is a SC series I bought one to add to my collection.

Fine looking piece of machinery there... I'd get the non SC version myself though. But folks that live there are proud of it. No other state has so many people with the state symbol plastered on their cars... People here don't drive around with oranges on their back windows. But your always seeing that signature tree and moon ugh
    Ruger LC9 - Hornaday Critical Defense

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    I know a guy selling an actual old Isreali CETME for around $900... you'd have to get it transferred but I could hook you guys up. I guess at least this one is NIB and already has a rail.

I am not a fan of the look, but at the same it might just get mistaken for an Air-Soft gun at a quick glance, which could be a good thing...
    I also wouldn't NOT own it because of the look. But for 1200 I think I would go AR-10 or M1A...

of course you do already have the mags so there is that....

sorry man, tough call. hit me up if you're interested in the CETME...

EDIT- oh, wow, just realized how old this post is, what did you decide to do???
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I'm a big fan of .308 as I own 4 of them. My favorite is my Armalite AR-10. I would look into that before springing $1200 on the HK copy. I also have an FNAR with 20" barrel. I like longer barrels on my .308 so I get the most out of the powder burn for better velocity. My other two are bolt guns one being a Model 70 Featherweight and Ruger American that I use for a truck gun. Cheap and no wood to ding.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I bought one of the first PTR-91 rifles this company ever made back in 2001 or '02. Can't remember exactly now, but they only made the one clone. It was identical in every regard to an original H&K rifle except one. The chamber was too tight. This rifle would not cycle anything unless it was a match grade high dollar round. I tried almost a dozen different surplus military rounds and none would cycle reliably in this rifle.

I sent the rifle back to them twice complaining about the problem. Only after the third phone call did they actually come clean and tell me this was a 'match grade' chamber. ???? I sent them fired brass from their rifle and fired brass from an actual HK91 with mic'ed measurements. These measurements were noticably different about the cartridge case.

A decade later they finally got a clue and started to manufacture a true original spec 91 model with the original military chambering. This is called the GI model by them. It is the only model I would recommend unless you have the bucks to spend the afternoon on the range feeding it Federal Gold Match 168gr boat tail.

Don't count on military surplus to cycle reliably in any of their other rifles.

I love the HK91 style of rifle and had they been straight up with me over a decade ago the first time, I might still have this rifle. They make a good rifle and it's the best clone you'll ever find, aside from the chamber on most of their models.
    DingBat likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    I know a guy selling an actual old Isreali CETME for around $900... you'd have to get it transferred but I could hook you guys up. I guess at least this one is NIB and already has a rail...
    An Israeli CETME??? That's a new one!
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    An Israeli CETME??? That's a new one!
    yes, ok, maybe I am wrong. I thought he said Israeli, I am almost positive it's marked in a foreign language and too old to be a Century Arms. European perhaps?

I just asked him for pics and info....
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    yes, ok, maybe I am wrong. I thought he said Israeli, I am almost positive it's marked in a foreign language and too old to be a Century Arms. European perhaps?

I just asked him for pics and info....

Dont forger Century has been around since the 70s ....

I look forawed to pics
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links